Home Work & Volunteering
Take part in our next Watch Club on 2nd Feb at 7.30pm. We'll be talking about the film In the Heights! Sign up to take part and receive your free NOW pass!
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sick Days and the Consequences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I'm waiting for my flatmate to come back from her breakfast so that she can come with me to A and E. I've been having chest pains for 5 hours now and blah blah. But I'm supposed to be at work. I called an explained and my manager sounded a bit annoyed at me but I'm in too much pain to be stacking shelves for 9 hours.
I can't afford to take the day off. It means a £75 decrease on my next wage. But, again, I hurt so much that I don't care.
What I do care about is the inevitable disciplinary meeting.

The problem is that I only work one day a week so that if I'm off it makes my absence percentage really high. I was off one day last month when I was really ill (and I had personal reasons for not going in) so I'll have to sit through a disciplinary. Will this show up on any kind of employment records and will it be taken into account when I am applying for future jobs? Most of all, will this mean a potential sacking? (I really really can't afford for that to happen!)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi,

no they should not discriminate you for your health is far more important.
    Do you have a union? Always take someone with you if you do get disciplined.

Hope you feel better?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    becks27 wrote: »
    hi,

no they should not discriminate you for your health is far more important.
    Do you have a union? Always take someone with you if you do get disciplined.

Hope you feel better?

Yeah, I guess there is a union representative I could talk to if it gets too extreme.