Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Sick Days and the Consequences

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I'm waiting for my flatmate to come back from her breakfast so that she can come with me to A and E. I've been having chest pains for 5 hours now and blah blah. But I'm supposed to be at work. I called an explained and my manager sounded a bit annoyed at me but I'm in too much pain to be stacking shelves for 9 hours.
I can't afford to take the day off. It means a £75 decrease on my next wage. But, again, I hurt so much that I don't care.
What I do care about is the inevitable disciplinary meeting.

The problem is that I only work one day a week so that if I'm off it makes my absence percentage really high. I was off one day last month when I was really ill (and I had personal reasons for not going in) so I'll have to sit through a disciplinary. Will this show up on any kind of employment records and will it be taken into account when I am applying for future jobs? Most of all, will this mean a potential sacking? (I really really can't afford for that to happen!)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hi,

no they should not discriminate you for your health is far more important.
    Do you have a union? Always take someone with you if you do get disciplined.

Hope you feel better?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    becks27 wrote: »
    hi,

no they should not discriminate you for your health is far more important.
    Do you have a union? Always take someone with you if you do get disciplined.

Hope you feel better?

Yeah, I guess there is a union representative I could talk to if it gets too extreme.