Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

ex-flatmate asking for money

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had problems with my ex-flatmate ever since I left my old house back in the summer.

I moved into my new place on 19th July and paid the last lot of bills for my old place on 24th July.

A month or so later I had a text saying I still owe bills for the last month (I didn't, I 'd paid her 12 cheques over the year, and my last one was after I had left the property).

I ignored the texts.

Anyway, I got another text on Friday saying I owed her £300 for council tax.

I asked if I could see a breakdown of what the costs were and whether they applied to the time I was there. She got really stroppy, said I was taking the mick and that she would go to my employer to try and get the money out of me.

Now, I've looked into the council tax thing. I have a breakdown of bills written by her that clearly states I paid £72 a month for council tax (and together we paid £144). I have checked with the VOA and local council and it seems that the house should only have cost £115 a month in council tax. It turns out that I was over-charged by about £18 a month.

I'm not sure what she's playing at, whether she wasn't paying the council tax while I was there and has now been found out or what, but I just wanted to make sure I was in the right.

I tried calling the council but it's all in her name so they wouldn't speak to me about it.

I've also never seen the council tax bill or any other bill for the house, I wrote her a cheque every month and she dealt with it.

If I just refuse to give her any money, is there anything she can do? Would I be in the wrong?... bear in mind that i'm pretty sure I was paying her too much anyway.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sorry to hear your probs mate. Was she taking more money from you in the council tax payments and lying to you about the correct money. Did you have any contract with her in this house?
    becks27 wrote: »
    sorry to hear your probs mate. Was she taking more money from you in the council tax payments and lying to you about the correct money. Did you have any contract with her in this house?

I paid her one cheque a month (was about £120) she gave me a breakdown of what made up this total, and said in this that the overall council tax each month was £144. I have only recently found out that this is way higher than it should be for the house we were in.

Since I had no dealings with the actual payment of the tax I don't know what she was handing over to the council (I just assumed it was £144).

There was no contract between me and her, just me and the landlord.

Everything was squared up with the landlord when I left, I got the deposit back in full and handed the keys over to him.
    red_jelly wrote: »
    I paid her one cheque a month (was about £120) she gave me a breakdown of what made up this total, and said in this that the overall council tax each month was £144. I have only recently found out that this is way higher than it should be for the house we were in.

Since I had no dealings with the actual payment of the tax I don't know what she was handing over to the council (I just assumed it was £144).

There was no contract between me and her, just me and the landlord.

Everything was squared up with the landlord when I left, I got the deposit back in full and handed the keys over to him.

Ignore her then.

If the council tax is in HER name, the responsibility is with her to pay it. She's just trying to get (more!) money out of you.
    they are right ....you have paid the council tax...

if you need more help in this matter why not contact citizen advice they are normally pretty hot on most matters.

hope this helps and good luck
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    g_angel wrote: »
    Ignore her then.

If the council tax is in HER name, the responsibility is with her to pay it. She's just trying to get (more!) money out of you.
    Yeah pretty much.

Tell her to FO.