Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Challenging Oneself In Work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I never had any part time jobs whilst at school like many people. It wasn't until university that I eventually started thinking about jobs really and did a small bit of voluntary work and had a holiday job for a short while. Then when university was coming to an end got myself a part time job, maybe the sort I should have had at school and have since moved onto a similar role elsewhere. I have no wish to progress within the sector I am currently in. I'm considering taking a leap into a completely different area, which is a million miles away from my own world. It would provide a new challenge and probably prove far more interesting, but the only thing is that it could be very hard leaving the sad situations I come across behind at work. So I'm not completely sure yet whether I should take on this particular new challenge or not. What do you reckon?

Comments

• Options
    well, all you can do is try to make this new area of work be the challange you want. I am in a field of work that is challenging but only work 6 hours a week at the moment and I am looking for another challenge.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi Crumbs,
    It's great to hear you have ambition to further your career.

Without knowing more about the sector it's hard to give specific info, but there's a chance there may be support/training available for you to help deal with the impact the working environment could have on the rest of your life. Also, it would probably be a good idea to talk to people who already work in the sector to find out how they cope with it as they may have some tips for you.

Hope that helps a little. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, I am in retail at the moment and am finding it incredibly soul destroying. I moved to a different retail company hoping it would be an improvement, it is slightly but I guess in reality they are all the same. Shadowed a friend who works for a homeless organisation, I would most likely be doing quite different areas of work to them as am only looking for part time. And have now decided I will try go for it and sign up to the agency as I can't take much more of putting on a fake customer smile and working for people who really arn't very friendly!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Crumbs wrote: »
    And have now decided I will try go for it and sign up to the agency as I can't take much more of putting on a fake customer smile and working for people who really arn't very friendly!

:thumb: nice one.
  • Options
    Crumbs wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, I am in retail at the moment and am finding it incredibly soul destroying. I moved to a different retail company hoping it would be an improvement, it is slightly but I guess in reality they are all the same. Shadowed a friend who works for a homeless organisation, I would most likely be doing quite different areas of work to them as am only looking for part time. And have now decided I will try go for it and sign up to the agency as I can't take much more of putting on a fake customer smile and working for people who really arn't very friendly!

Good on you!

I used to work part time in retail as well and my biggest nightmare was getting stuck there. I finally got out of it this summer to do something completely different and I love my new job.

Hope everything works out for you!