Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Cancelling a direct debit

I want to join a different gym ASAP. Thing is, I don't want to have to pay for another month or so at my current gym but I know that if I was to cancel my gym membership, I'd have to.

What would happen if I cancelled my Direct Debit?

They don't have my new address. How likely would it be that they would chase me up for the payment? Could I not just say that I wrote to them to cancel my membership?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why don't you just cancel your membership?
  • Options
    I want to join a different gym ASAP. Thing is, I don't want to have to pay for another month or so at my current gym but I know that if I was to cancel my gym membership, I'd have to.

What would happen if I cancelled my Direct Debit?

They don't have my new address. How likely would it be that they would chase me up for the payment? Could I not just say that I wrote to them to cancel my membership?

Just cancel your direct debit, if they havent got your address, its going to make it even harder to track you down. At the end of the day its £50, most business couldnt be arsed to chase that.

Test em out and see how much they want it :D
  • Options
    Most gyms have a clause in the contract that you can cancel without penalty if you are moving away from the area.
  • Options
    It doesn't.

Mist - I am going to cancel my contract. However, if I cancel it now, I'm still gonna have to pay for next month's membership even though I paid a few days ago for this months. Its got to be a full 30 days and they want to get one last payment off you.

My boyfriend has told me that a debt collector went after his mate when he did this but can they really trace me if they have my old address?
  • Options
    They can be pretty shit hot at tracking you down and they will happily add costs and fees onto anything recoverable. It isn't that difficult to track down your new address.

If it's Cannon's gym, they will NOT let it slide.

Hell, it's only a month's 'extra'. Just pay it, as you agreed to when you signed the contract.
  • Options
    mehhh. think im gonna have to. don't want to though as that means im gonna be paying for two gyms one month unless i wait until it runs out :chin: mmmm. i want to join the gym down the road with the swimming pool you see. mine doesn't have one. its a fantastic gym but i'd rather pay for one with a pool as ive just learnt to swim.
  • Options
    Wouldn't it be cheaper during your last month to pay to go to a public pool when you want to swim rather than pay for two different gyms?
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be cheaper during your last month to pay to go to a public pool when you want to swim rather than pay for two different gyms?

Agreed.

Cancel your membership at the old one, but get your £££ worth by using is the full term whilst also using the public pool (which is bound to be much much bigger).

If the new gym is offering you a good deal "only for this month", I guarantee they will still be doing it next month. Don't shoot yourself in the foot.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »

oh yeah. gawd, im a bit dumb right now :|

just rang up the gym...they want me to go in for an appointment with the gym manager to discuss cancelling. what a pain in the arse :rolleyes: why can't i just sign a form or write a letter. grr.
  • Options
    It's because they want to know why you want to cancel. Just tell them it's more cost effective to go to a gym with a swimming pool rather than pay for both and they can't really argue if they haven't got one.
  • Options
    i told them that over the phone though!
  • Options
    i told them that over the phone though!

They want to convince you otherwise. Just stick to your guns.