Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Gut Instinct

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In any situation, or with any advice you need, people always say 'go with your gut instinct', 'your gut instinct is always right'.

What do you think about this? Is it true? Is it worthy advice to go with your gut instinct or just superstition?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think in most situations you have to sit back and think about it first without going for your gut instinct. All depends on the situation though, if there's a fight going on there's no point sitting back and thinking, you either jump in or stay in the background.
    deffo depends on the situation

there has been many a time where my gut instinct has been to do one thing, but when i though about it, my head said something different....

and in hindsight, my gut instinct was wrong, usually waayyyyy wrong haha
    Gut instinct can come in useful after, and only after you have allready weighed up the decision at hand in a careful and concise manner. I would say its more of the final deciding little sway, but should never be totally relied upon.
    It's a load of bollocks. I never trust my gut instinct, ever.
    I trust my gut instinct on the pub quiz machine...

what is your gut instinct?? just a feeling?
    gut instinct is the "I knew it beforehand." after the event when you decided not to act. In easy situation like, it can be really handy, if you trust it, that is.

In more complex situations with more than one variable to consider I would recommend sit back and think it through.
    I'll only trust my gut if I've had something to eat :)

But in most cases, you ought to think about it first.
    i stopped using my gut instinct, and fucked a lot up...

don't trust the heart and the head, they know nothing!
    CoolMe wrote: »
    I'll only trust my gut if I've had something to eat :)

I don't think the OP is talking about the workings of your bowel movements, CoolMe. ;)
    i trust mine usually.We have intuition for a reason and its usually the subconscious making decisions learned on past experiences. The important bits that you arent always consciously aware of.
    We have intuition for a reason and its usually the subconscious making decisions learned on past experiences.

I agree.

Gut instinct is just a very immediate form of reasoning. In that flash of a second, your brain is computing ideas like 'run', 'fight', 'what have I learnt about this experience before', 'what are the consequences' etc etc. It has nothing to do with some 'spiritual enlightenment'.