Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Something fishy with my landlord....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(LONG! SORRY!)

So I've lived in my flat for over three years. And in that three years my landlord has been an ok guy. Sometimes he does slightly dodgy things that annoy me but nothing too bad.

He's always been right on it when it comes to rent and if you have trouble paying he always sends a text saying "I have not received this months rent blah blah blah" and says to let him know if you're having trouble etc. Also in the entire time that I have lived here I have never had a rent increase.

Anyway a few months ago he gutted the flat and changed the living room into another bedroom which he justified by not putting my rent up, giving me a brand new redecorated room and a tumble dryer. All was well.

Then after the tumble dryer came in and new tenants moved in everything was good. Cut to August and my birthday, he says new tenant hasn't paid deposit and nicely gets the cheque from them (they were waiting for the cheque book to arrive). I tell him I have paid my rent (as I have... at that point) and he says "brilliant thanks etc".

Few days later I go out and have a good time and strangely have a few extra quid in my account. My dad said he was going to pay me some money in for my birthday so yay, drunk.

Few days later I look online and realise that it's actually my rent that has bounced back into my account as I sent it to his old account (Which has recently closed....) thus I'm out of pocket (for the splurging I thought was courtesy of my dad) and quietly wait for him to say something.

Time passes by.... he says nothing. VERY STRANGE. Landlord may have 40 odd buildings in the capital but he NEVER, EVER, EVER misses a payment. Not for a second. I pay next month's rent and nothing has been said.

Cut to last week. One of the new guys who moved in was promised room with all bills inclusive. Very nice for him, shame all bills are in my name. Anyway attempt to get ahold of landlord and he doesn't contact. Thus I deduct these bills from my rent and send him a text specifying each deduction with receipts to prove it in my person. He leaves me a voicemail saying that's all brilliant etc. Then nothing.

Then it gets odder. All four of my flatmates haven't paid their rent yet. Their rent is nearly a month overdue. He has made absolutley no attempt to contact ANY of them. Like me, as we are all pretty much broke are waiting for him to get in touch but it's just really REALLY odd for someone who just spent a fortune decking out a soon to be demolished building.

Then we started getting letters. They have his name on and are from the London Court's Service, a CCJ from the water board (one was addressed to me and I rang to say I don't pay for the water and they amended it). Letters from the council etc.

I'm moving out pretty soon due to my own financial hardship at the moment however something REALLY isn't sitting right at the moment. I have been in contact with him briefly but nothing that gave anything away. Given we are in a credit crunch and financially things are looking bad as is, you think someone would notice if over £1k didn't go into your account, particularly as he is an ACCOUNTANT?

Any ideas what's going on? I don't want to call him, it's not my place and although I didn't pay the rent the other month it was attempted in good faith and would quite happily pay him the month I owe if need be.

My flatmates and I reckon he's involved with some sort of legal/financial trouble and maybe the IR or someone are trawling/freezing his accounts.

OK... essay over, if you can read all of that you deserve a medal. If you read all of that and then can answer you deserve a knighthood!

Comments

• Options
    Why don't you just pay him the rent and then you can just forget about it?
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Why don't you just pay him the rent and then you can just forget about it?

:yes:

I agree, if you clear up anything now that you owe him, you can move out without having to worry about any of it coming back to bite you in the future. If he is in financial trouble, it's not really your problem - as long as you're all paid up and square with him, you can move on with a clear conscience.
  • Options
    One guess is that he's defaulted on the mortgage anyway, so the home will be repossessed eventually, which would mean that he's not too fussed about whether you pay or not. Although in that case I guess he would want the money for himself, so that doesn't make any sense either. Maybe he's just not fussed.
  • Options
    stick it in a seperate account and don't pay it. You can prove that you attempted to pay it (the one time anyway) so shouldn't get in trouble over that. If asked for it, cough up, if not, after some you-choose period of time, spend and be merry.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Call me paranoid, but I'd check for cameras in your bedroom/bathroom.
  • Options
    Oooh I heard about that. That woman in Ireland and the students. They got lots of money because of it! But no, no such luck. Did a sweep. :)
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I didn't hear of any woman and students in Ireland, sorry. But good to know you looked. :p