Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ross & Brand

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally i hope any decent chap seeing Brand would punch him in in the face. Boasting about your conquests, when they haven't agreed you can is so low it is beneath contempt.

Feel the same way - I couldn't care less about whether it's funny, but when you've been dating, or at least sleeping with someone you should have more respect. On top of that when they've specifically told you not to mention something to a relative of theirs then you'd have to be insane to then phone up that relative and tell them about it.

Doing it with hundreds of thousands listening in return for £200,000 a year... I don't quite understand why people think that makes it more acceptable rather than less.
    I don't know if sleeping with someone at a drug fuelled orgy gains the same respect as a loving encounter lol
    I don't know if sleeping with someone at a drug fuelled orgy gains the same respect as a loving encounter lol

Either way man, if I did sleep with someone at a drug fuelled orgy it'd be pretty insane to think - 'I know I'll call their grandad and tell them about this...'
    lol

I think we all need to think about the type of people at drug fuelled orgies [mmm - whoops got distracted] - and really, they are generally NOT going to be on a level playing field of sanity..

That said, I can totally appreciate where you are coming from with the respect side of things.

TBH though I think this whole thing has been blown out of proportion.

Anyway - how the devil are you?
    I'm very good sir, now hopeful we'll see some more comic book documentaries from Ross rather than shlocky TV, and looking forward to a president of the US who can read - and still laughing inside from watching Doug Stanhope live... and his jokes would get him banned from Radio in a blink of an eye ;)
    Jim V wrote: »
    Doing it with hundreds of thousands listening in return for £200,000 a year... I don't quite understand why people think that makes it more acceptable rather than less.

Millions. ;) So you think it's distasteful to boast that you've slept with someone? So do plenty of others, but 2 million people who tune in to listen to Russell Brand obviously don't. And that is the audience that the programme is made for. As for the phonecall, he apologised for it. Anything beyond that is about your personal taste of what's acceptable in a radio programme, and that is different for everyone.

What I don't get is the actions of the BBC. Why are they so keen to pander to the opinions of 20,000 people who don't listen to the show, rather than the 2 million people who do listen to and enjoy the show? They don't make the programme for the readers of the Daily Mail, they make it for the audience that they are aiming at. Obviously the crux of the issue is that if this was a commercial broadcaster, they would've told the Daily Mail to go and fuck themselves, because they would only have to answer to the 2 million who did listen to the show, and the individual who was offended by the phonecalls in question. But because the BBC is funded by a licence, it seems that everyone has to approve of every show that is broadcast, at least on the evidence of this. It's a pathetic situation for a broadcaster to be in.
    Hey, lets not get lost in all this that we forget there's real news out there - David Tennant is quitting as Doctor Who :(
    Millions. ;) So you think it's distasteful to boast that you've slept with someone? So do plenty of others, but 2 million people who tune in to listen to Russell Brand obviously don't. And that is the audience that the programme is made for. As for the phonecall, he apologised for it. Anything beyond that is about your personal taste of what's acceptable in a radio programme, and that is different for everyone.

What I don't get is the actions of the BBC. Why are they so keen to pander to the opinions of 20,000 people who don't listen to the show, rather than the 2 million people who do listen to and enjoy the show? They don't make the programme for the readers of the Daily Mail, they make it for the audience that they are aiming at. Obviously the crux of the issue is that if this was a commercial broadcaster, they would've told the Daily Mail to go and fuck themselves, because they would only have to answer to the 2 million who did listen to the show, and the individual who was offended by the phonecalls in question. But because the BBC is funded by a licence, it seems that everyone has to approve of every show that is broadcast, at least on the evidence of this. It's a pathetic situation for a broadcaster to be in.

Because the people who don't listen are still paying?

Thought the 20,000 and 2 million figures are simplistic - 20,000 complained, but I bet there's many more who didn't and still think Ross and Brand should have some punishment, and some of these will be amongst his listeners.

However, it was a nasty, vindictive little stunt and frankly I couldn't care what Brand's listeners think. If they think its amusing - they're just as bad as he is (slighly worse in that at least he can claim he was doing his job).
    Jim V wrote: »
    Hey, lets not get lost in all this that we forget there's real news out there - David Tennant is quitting as Doctor Who :(

Noooooo!!!!
    So why did Russell Brand quit in the end? I suspect he decided to jump the ship before the BBC pushed him overboard. Ah well, at least that's one media company which Brand managed not to get sacked from - just. Now to get rid of Jonathan Ross too...
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    It's not some random bloke they picked from a care home, there was a reason he was supposed to be on the Russell Brand show and it wasn't exactly to debate cheaper energy bills for the elderley was it?

But that's the point, isn't it? Sach's couldn't make the broadcast and had, therefore, had made himself unavailable to be included in the show. But Brand decided to make a 'show' of him anyway, without Sach's consent.
    I did end up going and listening to it, and im pissed off for two reasons.

1. My license fee money being wasted on what is likely a criminal offence.

2. It not being funny at all in the slightest.
    I'm not going to defend Brand and Ross, because Sachs clearly didn't see the funny side of the prank unfortunately. However, He has accepted the apologies from both guilty parties, which I'm sure has fallen on deaf ears anyway.

But either way, I think this issue has been blown WAY out of proportion by the likes of the Daily Mail. You could limit the humiliation caused to this fella and keep quiet about it, let Sachs and the BBC deal with it themselves, but no, not the Daily Mail (I stress they aren't alone here, but you get the idea anyway).

As we all know, the Daily Mail loves any excuse it can get to poke the BBC, with all it's stories of it being another sort of stealth tax, and it sells them papers amongst the lemmings that lap this crap up.

Do the Daily Mail crowd seriously think they're doing their 'national treasure' a favour by having this pointless and redundant crusade on his behalf? I mean, there's some war going on somewhere in the world, but I guess that just stops them young 'uns stabbing each other outside the Job Centre and now they're doing us a favour by shooting them brownies...:rolleyes:

He's pretty much said that he's ready to move on, so can't the relevant people just learn their lessons now? There's more importaint things happening around us, surely?

And don't get me started on those opportunistic MP's getting their noses in on the action.....

Also, is it just me or are thee the same wankers who's complain if their favourite BBC period drama ended up being interrupted by loan adverts?
    Ive always thought Russell Brand was an over rated,unfunny twat,and Johnathon Ross hasnt been funny for as long as I can remember now.
    How the hell thay manage to get paid for what they do is beyond me...:rolleyes:
    Steve87 wrote: »
    As we all know, the Daily Mail loves any excuse it can get to poke the BBC, with all it's stories of it being another sort of stealth tax, and it sells them papers amongst the lemmings that lap this crap up.
    What is all this drivel about the Daily Mail having it in for the Beeb? This ignores the fact that the story first surfaced in the Mail on Sunday, which is a very different paper to its daily counterpart. And no one appears to have said a word about the coverage in the Murdoch press - they're not exactly friendly towards Aunty either, are they? Funny how no one mentions that...
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    What is all this drivel about the Daily Mail having it in for the Beeb? This ignores the fact that the story first surfaced in the Mail on Sunday, which is a very different paper to its daily counterpart.
    You what? It's exactly the same. Same principles, same policy, same agenda.
    And no one appears to have said a word about the coverage in the Murdoch press - they're not exactly friendly towards Aunty either, are they? Funny how no one mentions that...
    Oh I will. The Scum has been very busy in all of this rubbishing the BBC.

To the Mail newspapers' credit, they don't have it in for the BBC nearly as much as the S*n, which doesn't miss a trick to stick the knife in.

Of course, the sight of the Scum carrying the story of of Sachs' granddaughter crying foul about actors or pop singers having their privacy invaded would have made many a reader quite sick.

Don't get me wrong, the whole incident was quite despicable. But I can only hope in time people will be able to see how massively this story was overblown, and who was behind it all.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Oh I will. The Scum has been very busy in all of this rubbishing the BBC. To the Mail newspapers' credit, they don't have it in for the BBC nearly as much as the S*n, which doesn't miss a trick to stick the knife in.
    Might be something to do with the fact that a certain Mr R. Murdoch would like to see the BBC privatised so that he can buy it...
    Loved the Daily Mash today:
    ROSS AND BRAND TO DIG UP QUEEN MOTHER
    RUSSELL Brand and Jonathan Ross are to team up with the corpse of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother for a new prime-time show.

The Queen Mother and Dame Thora will finally be able to perfom together, suspended on wiresIn the first installment, to be screened on Christmas Eve, Ross and Brand will travel to Windsor where they will remove the remains of their co-star from her tomb in St George's Chapel.

They will then race back to London where the Queen Mother will be transformed into an elaborate marionette which Brand and Ross will manipulate via remote control.

Brand will provide the voice of the dead Queen, but has yet to decide between a suitably respectful high-pitched squeak or the deep-throated growl of an obscene Frenchman.

In later episodes the Queen Mother will dance and perform classic sketches with the dead bodies of Thora Hird, Ernie Wise, Les Dawson and former Man Utd manager Sir Matt Busby.

The producers are also planning a big-budget finale featuring the late Queen singing a medley from Guys and Dolls with whatever is left of the cast of Dad's Army.

BBC director general Mark Thompson said: "Russell and Jonathan's National Treasure Corpse Puppets will be the highlight of our winter schedule.

"I look forward to threatening you all with jail in order to pay their multi-million pound salaries."
    Teagan wrote: »
    The fact that you seemed to raise an idea that because Sachs was 78 and had been on the BBC for many years, he could therefore expect to have abusive messages left on his answerphone, was in itself ridiculous.
    No, the idea I raised was that they didn't flick through the phone book to find an old frail man and prank call him. Sachs had arranged to go on the show to discuss an upcoming TV show he was going on. I didn't say he deserved what happened or that I even sanctioned it. I said he couldn't expect to liaise with Brand and Ross and not expect a ripping of some sort.
    Teagan wrote: »
    It was interesting that you asked if any of us had ACTUALLY heard the broadcast. It seems you don't ACTUALLY watch/listen to the BBC much anyway. 'Dancing on Ice' is on ITV! ;):p

I don't watch TV, for the reason that most of it is shows of this stature, so if not Dancing on Ice then something similar. But I wasn't complaining about the licence fee, so the fact that it's on another channel is irrelevant.
    No, the idea I raised was that they didn't flick through the phone book to find an old frail man and prank call him. Sachs had arranged to go on the show to discuss an upcoming TV show he was going on. I didn't say he deserved what happened or that I even sanctioned it. I said he couldn't expect to liaise with Brand and Ross and not expect a ripping of some sort.

If it happened while Sachs was actually on the show, then a different scenario would have panned out. Being an up-coming guest did not qualify him for involvement in that particular broadcast, right then and there.

Anyhow, I'm sure we all agree that this has indeed become far more inflamed than it should have ... :)
    its all a load of crap, im sure they say a lot of things on pre recorded shows that often are too bad to be shown and arent. Who ever authorised it to be aired is the person only to blame.

:lol: I saw that episode, I thought it was funny.
    They're fucking pathetic. But this is the best bit:
    David Davies, Tory MP for Monmouth, urged BBC viewers who were offended to hold off from paying their licence fee until the last possible moment in protest.

Ooh, scary. Hold off buying your licence fee until just before the old one runs out? God, that'll have them shitting themselves.
    lol this whole thing is the biggest non-story since madeleine mccann, honestly.
    Paul Merton has been saying far worse things about the Queen and her family for years on HIGNFY and nobody seems to care.

And long might it continue. If the Mail had it its way it would bring Mary Whitehouse back to life and put her in charge.
    Calvin wrote: »
    :lol: I saw that episode, I thought it was funny.

That episodes at least a year old as well. Their always taking the piss out the royal family on Mock the Week.

That episode was a repeat as well. I didn't hear of any complaints last time...
    German teacher strips in front of students:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1874459.ece

She keeps her job after a few complaints.

Crappy British comedians face sack after prank call to the grandather of a woman in a band called satanic sluts who describes herself as a swinger.

Jesus fucking christ Britain no longer has any right to say it has a sense of humour.

Seriously.

We are now America.
    That episodes at least a year old as well. Their always taking the piss out the royal family on Mock the Week.

Exactly. So why it is only an issue now?:confused:

With programmes like Mock The Week & HIGNFY, isn't offense sort of expected?
    Jesus fucking christ Britain no longer has any right to say it has a sense of humour.

:yes: Personally, I did find that Mock The Week episode funny.