Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bike maintenance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I realise I'm getting all my domestic jobs advice here at the moment, sorry guys!

Cycling seems to be much harder work recently, so I assumed I had a soft tyre. Tyre seems fine, but the back wheel of the bike seems to wobble slightly side to side. Not noticibly so when cycling, just when you lift the back wheel off the ground and try to wobble it.

While I'm an engineering student, and can change tyres/inner tubes/repair punctures etc quite happily, the subtlties of wheels are currently slightly beyond me.

My google efforts have come up with all kinds, as you can guess, bike wheel wobble isn't particularly specific!

Any suggestions?

It's got quick release wheels, which I haven't adjusted in a long while, but would be surprised if I can get them any tighter, could get one of the boys from uni to have a go.

Comments

• Options
    i'll ask my mate tomorrow he seems to know his stuff seeing as he was changing his inner tube so he could ride his hangover off saturday morning...i suppose its the onland alternative to surfing as a hangover cure
  • Options
    Cheers m'dear.

I'll ask the guys in the department tomorrow but with a project deadline Wednesday pm I'm unlikely to get much help 'til Thurs afternoon.
  • Options
    Its only a push iron so I can't see there been many things it could be, the 2 simple things to look for are if the wheel itself is buckled which could happen if you hit curbs or bumps too hard.
    The next possibiliy is, like you said, something to do with the quick release, if their not clamping the wheel on evenly I think it could cause it to wobble.
    I might be totally wrong though as its being a long time since I was on a push iron brrrrrrrrrrr I'll stick to my toasty car.
  • Options
    Check your brake blocks aren't touching the wheels when they're going round, sounds silly I know but it doesn't take much to knock them a little especially if you have wheel wobble too.
  • Options
    Brake blocks are a mile clear, thanks for the suggestion. Had that one happen a while ago and since have learnt to always check that one.
  • Options
    Hehe it definitely slows you down :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I live on a hill, first time I noticed was when I was pedalling down it.....
  • Options
    bearings on the axle.
  • Options
    Any suggestions what I do?
  • Options
    Replace the bearings. Mine are shot too :).
  • Options
    Realistically is that something I'm going to be able to do or is it a bike shop job?
  • Options
    Depends on how mechanically minded you are, and what tools you have available.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your help.

Handily my baby brother came up to visit and has done something to the back bearing. Didn't replace anything, just took it apart, removed some of the crud and tightened bits up. Seems much better now.