Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ending a 3 Mobile Phone Contract

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever had problems ending a contract with 3?

I signed up to a contract which is sorta an 18 month contract but in the shop there was the option to leave after 6 months - I tried calling 3 the other day to tell them it's been 5 months and I want to give them their 30 days notice and once the 6 months is finished I want to leave

But you always get through to a call centre in India and according to their computer system it says 18 months on their system with me having another 13 months left to run.

I do have some paper work from the shop that says 6 months in various places - and plan to scan these and email them back to 3 but I'm abroad atm so it will have to wait a few days now.

But does anyone have any particular advice with dealing with Three on such matters?

Their Indian Call Centre staff are always polite, but the simple fact is they're pretty much like drones and when you have a question that goes beyound the most basic thing they either don't have much of a clue how to help you or the power to override their computer systems and listen to reason.

Is there a UK based deptartment that can deal with the more taxing situations?

I seem to remember someone on here worked for three. I was just going to switch from Contract to PAYG but after the trouble I've had I think I also want to just ask for my PAC Code as well and move to Asda mobile as it's way cheaper too on PAYG.

Comments

• Options
    hmm ive never heard of being able to terminate a 18 month contract after 6 months without penalty...was it a sim only deal? they certainly wouldnt if you got a phone through them..

are you sure it wasnt some sneaky salesmen trying some tactics on you?
  • Options
    Read the paperwork you've got carefully and check for any small print... and if you can definitely cancel after 6 months, scan it in and email it. Call them up, saying you've got proof that you can indeed cancel after 6 months and say you want your PAC code. If they're being difficult say you'll speak to Ofcom. And - whether you have actually spoke to Ofcom or not, if you know you're right explain that you've spoken to Ofcom and been told you can cancel... if they're in the wrong once you mention Ofcom they'll probably change their tune (going from my experience with Vodafone at least).

If it gets awkward though speak to Ofcom - and put stuff in writing: much less stressful than long phone calls and you've got a record of it.
  • Options
    hmm ive never heard of being able to terminate a 18 month contract after 6 months without penalty...was it a sim only deal? they certainly wouldnt if you got a phone through them..

are you sure it wasnt some sneaky salesmen trying some tactics on you?

Exactly, sounds very dodgy.

Check your contract carefully.
  • Options
    I suppose there wouldn't really be a lot of point in an 18 month contract if you cancel after 6 without penalty... although there are sometimes such offers I think, like a 'renewable' contract I suppose, where you can cancel after x months but most people just don't get around to it....
  • Options
    Was the contract through the 3 store directly, or was it in Phones 4 U or something?

Better to take your paperwork directly to the point of sale and sort it out from there before you need to even think about OFCOM.