Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Cat allergy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This could be kinda related to the itching thread i guess...!

How would you know if you were allergic to cats? i suppose its their fur. i mean like, what kind of symptoms?

iv never had a pet cat but iv spent time around other peoples cats and iv never had a problem, but my sister has recently moved back home and she brought her kitten with her and ever since then i have been so itchy ALL the time. its mainly my body and face that itches and my nose is unbearable. im sneezing more than usual too. it sort of feels like hayfever which i do get but obviously its not hayfever season.

i hope im not because the kitty is so cute :(

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Allergies can manifest in many ways, but my brother had a runny nose and eyes when we got a kitten many years ago.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It might not be the cat, it might have fleas or mites that your reacting too. When we brought our kitten home he had mites which set my allergies off but once we had wormed and defleaed him they went and I went back to normal.

Rule out any other changes first (change of weather, new washing powder etc) and see if anti-histamines make any difference.
    Does sound a lot like an allergy to the cat, that's pretty much what I get anytime I spend too long somewhere that has cats.

Try antihistamines, they should bring you some relief. You might find with time you get used to it. Obvious things like don't let it in your room, or where your clothes get dried, and get keen on hoovering can make a big difference.
    Also, a few people i know with cat allergies have mentioned its worse with kittens...my guess is because kitten fur tends to be a lot finer than adult cats. Having your sister regularly brush the kitten might also help and if it gets really bad maybe look into buying an air purifier which removes fur, bacteria etc
    im allergic to some cats but not others. Im especially allergic to burmese. My eyes go all swollen and itchy and my nose and face itches.
    hm ta for the replies! iv noticed that its only at night when im downstairs when im getting itchy, so god knows what that means. iv been stroking her a lot during the day and i never feel itchy then so i guess i'll just wait a while and see what happens.
    I have a cat allergy, but notice its only with other peoples! I was initially allergic to my own but I think you just adapt. good otherwise Id have to drown her...