Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Radiator Knocking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've never lived somewhere this happened until now, but I can hear and intermittent, relatively loud knocking noise in my room, which I'm pretty sure is coming from the radiator.

Does this make sense? (I'm sure I've heard of radiators knocking, but not sure).

Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Comments

• Options
    yes it means there is air trapped inside the radiator and it needs to be bled/drained
  • Options
    Apparently (according to mighty google) it could be due to a problem with venting in a steam based system or more likely something that bleeding the radiators could fix.

You tried bleeding them? You should have access to a strange looking key with a square end that you can use to release air from the radiator. Basically have a cloth around your hand and the key and then turn it until you hear air being released.

Ideally turn off the heating before doing this, but either way the cloth should protect you from any hot water. Once all the air is out the radiator will start to leak water, at that point quickly close it and the cloth should stop the water leaking.

Not sure if you're in a rented accomodation? If you don't have the key then call the landlord - did this start because you've just turned the heating on again with the cold weather?
  • Options
    I seeeeeeee.

Our maintenance guys suggested it was the pipes creaking against some fittings somewhere, thus not much they could do about it.

I will try and work out how to bleed it/get it bled.

Ta
  • Options
    Yes, it's rented accomodation, and through some slight bit of madness the only control we have over the heating is the knob on the individual radiators. We understand there is a heating control system in the flat. It's a house and the back part has been made into a separate flat.

Definitely don't have access to a key to bleed the radiators, but can try and get it done, either by getting the key off maintenance or by getting them to do it. It's a college house, so the maintenance etc is done much the same as it would be in halls.

The heating has been on all term, although it seems to have gone into overdrive recently. It's currently 25 degrees in my room, with my sash window open an inch, and my radiator turned down as far as I can get it.....
  • Options
    You can get a radiator key from any hardware shop for £1...

You don't even need to buy one to find out if it needs doing, just feel the very tops of the radiators (When the system is on), and the top corners, and make sure these are hot, these should be the hottest part of the radiator.
    If the top of the radiator feels cool, or cooler than the radiator say 3/4 of the way up, then it has air in it.
    If its hot all the way to the very top, it doesn't need bleeding.

You can turn off your radiator, either by the TRV which you can turn manually, these generally turn all the way through from 6 to 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 then a snow flake, these usually appears to be as far as it goes, but if you use some "gentle" persuasion you can turn it further to a "0" which turns it off.
    If this fails then usually on the other side of the radiator, you will have a blank cap that just spins, take this off (occassionally these will be screwed on) then using a small spanner turn the knob on the valve clockwise as far as it goes, this will then turn off the radiator.

As for causes of this knocking sound then yes it could be air in the radiator, or as your maintainance guys said it could be the pipes creaking against underfloor joists or clips etc...

Eitherway since you have maintainance guys i'd get them to come in and investigate.
    Yes, it's rented accomodation, and through some slight bit of madness the only control we have over the heating is the knob on the individual radiators. We understand there is a heating control system in the flat. It's a house and the back part has been made into a separate flat.

Definitely don't have access to a key to bleed the radiators, but can try and get it done, either by getting the key off maintenance or by getting them to do it. It's a college house, so the maintenance etc is done much the same as it would be in halls.

The heating has been on all term, although it seems to have gone into overdrive recently. It's currently 25 degrees in my room, with my sash window open an inch, and my radiator turned down as far as I can get it.....
  • Options
    OR could be the fins on the pump have seized.