Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Can you get an ASBO for...

Disco lights? :-)

This is no £10 disco ball that you find in Argos. I'm talking about DMX shiznit - 4 PAR cans, 2 moving heads, 2 stage blinders, a halogen projector, a smoke machine and a few other LED fixtures. Light-hobbiest I may be, I don't play music loud. I might turn it up before 8PM, but they're only crappy 5.1 PC speakers, and I always switch to headphones after 8PM. By sticking to that, I've not had complaints in the 2 years that I've lived at my house. Neighbours on one side of me keep changing, so it must be a rented house. Neighbours on my other side are a young family and I get on with them really well.

So yeah, um, lights :-D I know they can be a pain for astronomers who wants to watch stars via telescope and I can understand that because they'll regard any lighting as "light pollution". What if a local walks past my house and sees the bottom two windows flashing like a UFO? :-)

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll simply buy some blackout curtains which would serve as a thicker layer over the existing set.

Any thoughts? It's just paranoia more than anything else.

In case there are other light-hobbiest on the ship, these are the technical specs of my rig :-)

- 4 151-LED PAR64s (DMX 6 channels)
- 2 Laserworld 18-LED (luxeon) moving heads (DMX 10 channels)
- Futurelite EVO-5 projector (DMX 5 channels)
- 2 36-LED (luxeon) Geni Power Blinders (DMX 16 channels)
- 8-piece mood column with 384 LEDs (non-DMX)
- Antari Z1200 fogger, 18000 cu.ft/min (DMX 1 channel)
- DMX Wizard 512 USB interface & software for the PC
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    close the curtains?
  • Options
    Already closed :-D
  • Options
    in answer to your question..i doubt you'd get an asbo.

but anyway, do you actually like the LEDS? even tho you seem to have quite powerful ones...do you not think the output still leaves a lot to be desired?

i work in the lighting industry albeit not in performance lighting and cant fucking stand LEDS, but people have got it in their heads that its the future, whereas i feel the technology still has a long way to go before it catches up with traditional methods..just a personal opinion.
  • Options
    In a word....

no.

You're taking steps to not piss off your neighbours, so you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Cheers guys :-)

LuckyStrike - I've been interested in nightclub lighting since 2001 but didn't start as a hobbiest until late 2005. I decided to go straight for LED fixtures because they are lower maintenance without requiring replacement lamps and I enjoy the novelty of being able to specify 24-bit colour (0-255, 0-255, 0-255) exactly how I'd sample colours in Paintshop Pro or Photoshop! The PARs only have the regular LEDs. When you put 151 together, it is only about as bright as a 40W regular bulb. When you step into the luxeon world though, trust me, these Power Blinders are pretty potent. On a DMX dimmer scale from 0 to 255, a value of 39 is bright enough to light up a living room as if it's on a 100W regular bulb. Now change that 39 to a 255 and it's practically like daylight :-)

If you are interested in using luxeon fixtures for professional applications, I would jump straight to 3W LEDs (skip the 1W).
  • Options
    what kinda money you put into this gear

id love to have a custom mad light setup to fly like fuck to .. serious!!
  • Options
    About £2000, but that is over the space of 3 years. And no, I haven't won the lottery - my salary is less than £15k.
  • Options
    Ah yes, perfect opportunity to post some pictures :-)

Smoke.jpg

Blinders.jpg

Towards%20kitchen.jpg

Evo.jpg
  • Options
    ah jesus can feel myself comin up already

fuck the neighbours get the soundsystem rigged up n lets go :cool: :cool:
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    ah jesus can feel myself comin up already