Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Itching!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the last few weeks I've been REALLY itchy, especially in the evenings and through the night. I'm pretty sure it's linked to the change in weather/heating going on, and my piss-poor circulation, but it's driving me mental!

Any ideas for relief? I've tried moisturising and anti-histamines and neither made any difference.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mr Olive! Get him to scratch it! ;)

Ok, in an effort to make this post more helpful...have you tried some aloe vera gel?
    I'm such an itchy person and I sometimes find that tapping the itch can relieve it.
    Do you have any pets? Maybe an allergic reaction to a new washing powder? Or bed bugs :nervous: I hope it gets fixed soon! I keep getting mysterious bites on my ankles but I think it's cuz one of my house mates has fleas.
    Maybe you're allergic to the new Mr Olive? ;)
    Do you have any pets? Maybe an allergic reaction to a new washing powder? Or bed bugs :nervous: I hope it gets fixed soon! I keep getting mysterious bites on my ankles but I think it's cuz one of my house mates has fleas.

No, I doubt it's an allergy. It happens at all different times. I do get really itchy in the cold though, so pretty sure it's all related. Just can't stop it!

I have tried the Mr Olive scratching thing (especially 2 day beard - sweet relief!), but he bites his nails so far down they're totally unscratchy, and he gets tired of my rubbing my legs on his chin :p
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Calamine lotion - its amazing.

Keep it in the fridge for about an hour before you want to use it for extra relief.

I go through stages too of being an itchy bitch, so you are not alone me dearie :)
    wet bandages was what i used to have to put on my excema at night...

have you changed washing powder?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I sympathise. I go through similar. My skin is awful.

I will be interested to hear responses to your thread. Best moisturiser I have used is the Norwegian Formula one.
    I get this every now and again but the only thing that stops it is anti-histamines.

I did have stress excema a couple of years ago and the only thing that helped that was using oilatum every day in the bath.
    Maybe try some scabies medication?

It's a very easy thing to catch..and to cure. Not saying you necessarily have that but I had it once and the medication was fantastic.
    katchika wrote: »
    Maybe try some scabies medication?

It's a very easy thing to catch..and to cure. Not saying you necessarily have that but I had it once and the medication was fantastic.

I doubt it's anything that specific, tbh. I don't have any kind of rash or even dryness, and the itches flit from place to place.

May have a go with the old calamine, although don't think I'll be making it any colder - coldness makes me itch more!
    Olive wrote: »
    I doubt it's anything that specific, tbh. I don't have any kind of rash or even dryness, and the itches flit from place to place.
    I get that a lot and if there was a rash for some reason I'd be less annoyed. I don't find any creams help really.
    Olive wrote: »
    No, I doubt it's an allergy. It happens at all different times. I do get really itchy in the cold though, so pretty sure it's all related. Just can't stop it!

I have tried the Mr Olive scratching thing (especially 2 day beard - sweet relief!), but he bites his nails so far down they're totally unscratchy, and he gets tired of my rubbing my legs on his chin :p

haha, i do this but when my wrists itch :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    haha, i do this but when my wrists itch :)
    You get Olive's husband to scratch your wrists? :p
    Couple of quick comments from personal experience (as a result of a couple of places I've worked in the past)

Look for red marks between fingers and toes for scabies (I really, really won't go into why).

Look for bites in twos or threes for fleas, in a small line (as the flea jumps a little to find more to feed on). Especially if you're allegeric to the bites then flea bites when pressed should kinda make you feel them in your tummy (no matter where they are).

Obviously finding anything similar means you should go see a doctor rather than jump to conclusions.

Doesn't sound like scabies would necessarily apply to what you're describing Olive (not sure the itching is intense enough), but the treatment is easy and cheap, as kat mentioned.

On another tack, I (and David Baddiel in his first book) always found itching to be related to insomnia. It would be one of the things that would keep me awake when stressed and unable to sleep.
    Ive been quite itchy recently. Its so frustrating and annoying :(

It's not the worst Ive had it - one time it was so bad it made me cry!

Not sure what causes mine, have ruled out washing powder/other washing product allergies and scabies. There seems to be no specific cause. I think I just have over sensitive skin, especially as if I scratch my itch it tends to get 100x worse and I also get a pale bumpy rash which looks abit like nettle rash.

Never thought to try anti-histamines - will give that a whirl
    I itch to buggery most of the time. A lot of it is peripheral neuropathy (ooo get me :) that's the HIV attacking the nerve endings) so i doubt it's that's. I'm also just 'itchy' a lot of the time.

Anti-histamines can work, Zirtec is a good one. Over the counter, 1 pill a day about £2.50 for 7 pills or ask the pharmacist is they have a generic one. Morrissons' pharmacy are good for generic medication.

Winter seems to make it worse, the cold and heating drying the skin out. I use a basic body lotion after a wash or if it's really bad, a good dollop of baby oil in the bath (don't use a sponge or scrubby thing to wash with when you do this or it gets all oily and you can't get a good lather :) ) or Boots do an aqeuous cream, which you can wash with or use as a moisturiser and that helps a lot. It's just a few quid for a big tub and just as something in a fancy bottle with a nice picture on the front.

And one last point DON'T SCRATCH. It's hard not too, but it usually makes it worse. Try rubbing the itch with your hand.
    Depends where you are itching......
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Boots do an aqeuous cream, which you can wash with or use as a moisturiser and that helps a lot. It's just a few quid for a big tub and just as something in a fancy bottle with a nice picture on the front.

:yes:
    And one last point DON'T SCRATCH. It's hard not too, but it usually makes it worse. Try rubbing the itch with your hand.

:yes: I keep forgetting this, so now I've got a nice red patch on my elbow, which keeps bleeding because I keep scratching it.:(
    Jim V wrote: »
    On another tack, I (and David Baddiel in his first book) always found itching to be related to insomnia. It would be one of the things that would keep me awake when stressed and unable to sleep.

Hmmm, interesting. I definitely don't have insomnia (could sleep on a galloping hedgehog) but I've been having a really shit time at work, so maybe stress isn't helping.

That said, the cold definitely is a major factor cause it's been arctic up here today, and I've been squirming like mad all day. My legs and the bottom of my back itch the worst, and they're where I always feel cold to the touch, so am pretty certain it's a circulation thing.
    I'm sometimes kept awake my itching :(
    Oh and another thing, LANOLIN. It's in lots of soaps, moisturisers etc and is well known for aggrivating the skin in some people.
    odd thought but try getting one of those heat packs for backs and see if that works....and maybe thermals?
    I had chronic urticaria for two years straight a bit ago... I was on anithistamines for it every day (the normal ceterazine ones did nothing for me though so used to use a different one that the doctor prescribed).

Anyway, I could not pin down the reason for my itching and it was driving me mad... But in the end I went to a psychotherapist for my anxiety attacks and stuff and he gave me a list of stress symptoms... itching being one of them. I had no idea that they could be linked.

The itching did miraculously stop when the panic attacks and anxiety did too... So I'd say trying to relieve stress might help. Other than that, trying a different antihistamine (maybe going to see your GP)...
    But also hormone chances and all sorts of stuff can cause itching.