Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Does local party politics appeal?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If you had the spare time, would you join one of the political parties at the local level and further its cause? Those already in politics are always looking for ways to get new members in and join in their election campaigns. Do you feel passionate enough to get involved? or feel disillusioned with governments running the country?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not party politics, no. If there was a specific issue I was passionate about though, yes. And I would campaign on the side of whatever party agreed with me. I have no political loyalties though, and I distrust anyone that does.
    I worked at our city councils for a while so met some there ... and I know a few councillors in a nearby town. City councillors are the most status-driven, backbiting bunch of bastards. They should be thrown to the crocodiles - except the crocodiles would be no match for their frenzied teeth. :banghead:
    I'd rather have a red hot poker shoved up my arse.
    At local, and indeed also national, our politicians are generally better than we give them credit for... I'm a part time officer for my students' union and have had some (albeit) limited dealings with local politicians - who I've found to be really decent and hard-working people, determined to make a difference. The media focuses on the negative (which sells) and largely ignores those quietly working hard on behalf of the public. In an ideal world, everybody would vote for the individual - and not the party, but in the real world we need loose party affiliations so we have a very rough idea of what somebody stands for. However, I do accept that party labels can be unhelpful - because I know for certain that there are some candidates from all of the main three political parties that I would consider voting for.... One of the few big positives imo about the US political system is that the 'Democrat' and 'Republican' labels are more flexible.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    I'd rather have a red hot poker shoved up my arse.

You complain at whoever is in charge, and at whatever they do. Yet your not willing to get involved with anything at local government.

So its great to complain until the chance it could be come your problem, then you run a million miles from it?