Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Insomnia

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, I know everyone's just going to say "go to the doctor" but I have so many things I need to go about (breathing problems, month+ periods, new contraceptive etcetc) that I wanna see if I can sort it out another way first.

I've always suffered from insomnia, and I can't remember a night where I haven't woken up at least once, which doesn't sound too bad until you know that it takes me at least half an hour if not more to get back to sleep again and usually at least an hour from when I first try and sleep at night. But recently I've been waking up more and more often during the night and it's leaving me totally exhausted. Couple this with the fact that I also get woken up occasionally when my housemates have people over (I bought earplugs yesterday which seem to help with the noise) and the fact that tomorrow I will have been on my period for 5 weeks straight and I'm completely losing my mind with tiredness right now. Every day I'm ready to sleep by 7pm and yet I still sleep like crap, even when I'm at Rich's house and it's quiet and he actually has a decent bed (unlike my bed here). I bought some Kalms sleep yesterday along with the ear plugs and while the ear plugs meant I didn't get woken up by noise, I still woke up at least 4 times last night and I got less sleep last night than when I haven't taken anything. I even had a "nap" today, about an hour of sleep, and while it helped for a while, within an hour I was absolutely shattered again.

I know that getting regular exercise helps, and as soon as I am relatively confident that my knee (which I messed up doing the half-marathon) will be able to cope with it, I will be hitting the gym most days (if only because I'm getting podgy again). But I would like to know if there's anything else I can get that will help? I'm getting kinda desperate :(.

Thanks guys xx

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i wish i could help because i am the same...havent slept properly in a couple of weeks now and i know how you feel!
    i was like this before and the doctor suggested taking something like piriton as it calms you...didnt work for me but it may for you. but if nothing else works i would go to your doctor - they will be able to help you and you will feel better about the other stuff once you've had a good nights sleep :)