Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Atheism bus advertising campaign launched

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haha, just short of 80k now.

edit to add: - Yeah and another 16.7k in giftaid!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Yeah and another 16.7k in giftaid!

As a matter of interest, why would the Humanist Society be a charity - and, specifically, why should this advertising on a bus receive gift aid?

I'm not complaining - just asking. :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, why would the Humanist Society be a charity - and, specifically, why should this advertising on a bus receive gift aid?

I'm not complaining - just asking. :)

Same reason churches are
  • Options
    Same reason churches are

Are all churches charities? I can understand if they actively raise money to help the poor etc ... does the Humanist Society do this too?
  • Options
    We are all due a say, i think its only right that adverts of this kind are on our buses

I cant say that ive noticed them yet though!
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Are all churches charities? I can understand if they actively raise money to help the poor etc ... does the Humanist Society do this too?

Churches certainly have charitable status. Effectively at least. And while religions may help the poor, the aim of religions such as Christianity and Islam is and always has been the advancement of religious ideas. Charity work is just one medium of doing that, but the Charity Commission actually accepts "The Advancement of Religious Ideas" as a valid mission aim for a charity.

The BHA are there to represent the interests of non-religious people, (specifically humanists) in the UK. They do this by providing education resources that focus on a non-religious viewpoint, setting up lectures, representing the interests of non-religious people in government, and providing services such as non-religious wedding and funeral ceremonies. There ultimate aim is to get rid of the privilage of religious beliefs in society. Of the nearly £709k they raised last year, £694k went on charitable activities as defined by the Charity Commission, so yes, they do do charity work, but I don't think they're involved in helping the poor or anything like that. I think they do act as a resource for people to know which charities aren't religious organisations though, which of course is most of them. There are obvious reasons why a non-religious person would be dubious about donating to certain religious charities, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.
  • Options
    Churches certainly have charitable status. Effectively at least. And while religions may help the poor, the aim of religions such as Christianity and Islam is and always has been the advancement of religious ideas. Charity work is just one medium of doing that, but the Charity Commission actually accepts "The Advancement of Religious Ideas" as a valid mission aim for a charity.

The BHA are there to represent the interests of non-religious people, (specifically humanists) in the UK. They do this by providing education resources that focus on a non-religious viewpoint, setting up lectures, representing the interests of non-religious people in government, and providing services such as non-religious wedding and funeral ceremonies. There ultimate aim is to get rid of the privilage of religious beliefs in society. Of the nearly £709k they raised last year, £694k went on charitable activities as defined by the Charity Commission, so yes, they do do charity work, but I don't think they're involved in helping the poor or anything like that. I think they do act as a resource for people to know which charities aren't religious organisations though, which of course is most of them. There are obvious reasons why a non-religious person would be dubious about donating to certain religious charities, as I'm sure you'll appreciate.

Thank you for that reply! :thumb:
  • Options
    Aaaaaah.
  • Options
    It's gone past the 100k mark now. Fucking brilliant! :)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Well, maybe this will provoke enough reaction and debate to discourage the equally incredibly arrogant and quite patronising religious adverts that have appeared pretty much since street advertising was created a century+ ago.

Because considering that the ad hasn't made it to the streets yet, the total count for such ads stands roughly at this:

Religious advertisements on billboards and the media in Britain to date (estimate): 1000s

Atheist advertisements on billboards and the media in Britain to date (estimate): 0

So I think we can certainly tolerate a few such ads appear, for a change.
    Oh ffs... This isn't even an intelligent argument. "They do it so why can't I?" wtf... I am not justifying religious advertising, have you not read anything I have written? :rolleyes:

And exactly the same can be said of football. Indeed, I have met many a football fan whose passion for his club and the game in general would put many a fervent religious person to shame.

So no difference there at all.
    Oh whatever dude...
    I don't care what religion people follow tbh... I just don't want to see condescending posters everywhere saying my perception of reality is wrong or that I am in some way less happy than another group of people.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't care what religion people follow tbh... I just don't want to see condescending posters everywhere saying my perception of reality is wrong or that I am in some way less happy than another group of people.

Just like atheists don't want to see condescending posters telling us our perception of reality is wrong and that we are not only less happy than another group of people, but that we are also living lives that are fundamentally wrong, for which we will be punished for all eternity. However no one has ever started a thread about those or shown any objection to them before; they are just accepted as normal, as are the people you get on Oxford street preaching, etc. It may seem like a "they've done it so now we're going to" attitude to you, but in actual fact I believe it is simply giving a different perspective, sparking debate and representing the views of many millions of people who usually keep silent. And personally I don't think there is anything wrong with that, we live in a society with freedom of speech, and I personally I am quite happy to have my views represented in this way.

If nothing else the debate it has sparked has been fantastic, and as someone else said earlier even if it makes one person go away and examine their own beliefs and thoughts about gods and religion, then they have done a good job.
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    Just like atheists don't want to see condescending posters telling us our perception of reality is wrong and that we are not only less happy than another group of people, but that we are also living lives that are fundamentally wrong, for which we will be punished for all eternity. However no one has ever started a thread about those or shown any objection to them before; they are just accepted as normal, as are the people you get on Oxford street preaching, etc. It may seem like a "they've done it so now we're going to" attitude to you, but in actual fact I believe it is simply giving a different perspective, sparking debate and representing the views of many millions of people who usually keep silent. And personally I don't think there is anything wrong with that, we live in a society with freedom of speech, and I personally I am quite happy to have my views represented in this way.

If nothing else the debate it has sparked has been fantastic, and as someone else said earlier even if it makes one person go away and examine their own beliefs and thoughts about gods and religion, then they have done a good job.
    Saying that you don't want to see atheist posters does not mean you want to see Christian posters, or anything else as patronising.

I'd like to see that kind of thing in the private sphere tbh... I'd like to see an end to religion in school assemblies, religious schools and charitable status for religious organisations.

Yes, an alternative perspective needs to be provided, but I don't see the point in anybody pushing their beliefs on you in the first place.

It is completely an "eye for an eye" approach that has been shown by the posters, I think it's a bit childish... However, it's their right to free expression and I guess that a comparison could be made between being told how to think by smug atheists and by a smug fashion industry.

Meh.... I hate people.

:yeees:
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't like the way people use the term 'athiests' to mean a collective group of people with shared values- what a load of bollox! Athiesm doesn't mean you belong to some club where you all believe the same thing, it is an absense of certain other beliefs, not the presence of some shared ones. There's a missunderstanding in the public sphere that athiest means humanist or evolutionist but I say bollox to it all!
  • Options
    The arguements on the bus go round and round. All day long.
  • Options
    chuckle
  • Options
    Lol
  • Options
    I thought I'd give the thread a bump as the buses have now hit the streets, and have provoked some rather funny reactions from a few people:

Small group of MPs demand that the campaign be stopped immediately as it is 'offensive' to Christian and Muslims

What about the fucking evangelical thundering we have been subjected to for years? It's okay to offend agnostics and atheists, but not religious folk then?

Twats :rolleyes: :D

Christian Voice reports the campaign to the ASA for 'breaking rules on substantiation and truthfulness', cos God clearly exists.

Deluded, hypocritical wankers :D.

Is there a more vile group in the UK than this lot? I cannot think of many...

Christian bus driver 'refuses to operate bus with atheist adverts'

I wonder if the same courtesy would be extended to a non-believing bus driver who refused to drive a bus bearing the nauseating, god-bothering offensive bullshit posted by Christian groups... :rolleyes:

So 3 cheers to the campaign. They must be doing something right.
  • Options
    Still think it's a waste of time organised by atheists who believe they are intellectually superior ;)

But all the people calling for it to be banned are even more stupid :p it's just like a circus act lol.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Still think it's a waste of time organised by atheists who believe they are intellectually superior ;)
    Well Stephen Green certainly did a good job of proving their point, if that's the case. What a fucking prick that man really is.
  • Options
    Well Stephen Green certainly did a good job of proving their point, if that's the case. What a fucking prick that man really is.

I'm not saying the other side are any better (didn't I say that in my post?) but it reeks of another arrogant atheist 'we are more intelligent than you' stunt. It's not they're offended by the other ideas, it's the partisan support of their OWN idea (whether that be atheist, theist, or whatever) that people carry along with.

I mean nobody goes on about how in some legal book somewhere it says you can shoot a welshman with a crossbow do they? As soon as it's religion people just get really funny about it. It's got to the point where people are religiously fervent about being atheist almost.

So like I said, it's a bit like a circus act to me.. one bunch of zealots preaching to another bunch of zealots preaching to another bunch of zealots preaching to....
  • Options
    At least the atheist campaign:

- has the decency to admit they cannot certain by the inclusion of the word 'probably', as opposed to the religious lot who have always mantained their claims are the full and undeniable truth

- do not threaten others with an eternity of pain and suffering if they don't subscribe to their beliefs

Let us remind ourselves that this campaign was prompted by the rather disturbing proliferation of religious advertisements in public places. Something that was not permitted until a few years ago, and that has extended like the plague since the law was changed in that respect. I'm happy for the atheist campaign to disappear- if all religious messages are taken down permanently as well.

Otherwise- fuck 'em.
  • Options
    I mean nobody goes on about how in some legal book somewhere it says you can shoot a welshman with a crossbow do they? As soon as it's religion people just get really funny about it. It's got to the point where people are religiously fervent about being atheist almost.
    Nobody argues that the legal book is the perfect word of God. But what's this got to do with a little advert on a bus? I'm sorry, but it's such a cliche. We have political discussions on here. When people put their view forward on that subject (obviously trying to convince others that they are right) nobody mistakes that for arrogance, or claiming you're more intelligent than other people. So let me know exactly what in this advert gives you that impression.

Anyway, they raised nearly £150k when their initial target was £5k, so they're running one with another slogan in a few months. Anyone got any ideas? I personally like Stephen Fry's, "Religion - Shit It!" :D Might not get past advertising standards though.
  • Options
    I think there should be a modicum of 'good taste' in advertising whether it's religious or whatever. I always think those charity people with the posters of dissected monkeys are going too far - afterall, it could be upsetting to people and it's not their specific fault it's happening.

I respect anyone's right to make themselves heard, to convince others to think the way they do. I don't think that right extends to offensive or upsetting campaigns tho (I'm not a Londoner so never saw the religious campaign).

I would say if you're saying someone is going to hell that's upsetting. Especially for kids who might take it too literally.
  • Options
    Do you really think that, or are you only bothered because you subscribe to this social taboo that religious views should be beyond criticism because religious people will be "offended" by it? Good taste? This is utterly tame compared to even the weakest political campaign posters. Do you worry that Labour supporters will be "offended" by the Tories new advertising campaign? No, you assume that a person should be able to have their political opinions questioned without it being tantamount to "bad taste." Would you say that a poster highlighting human rights abuses involved in the making of a particular brand of clothing might be upsetting to those who wear that brand? No, you'd say it's making a legitimate point that anyone of any maturity should be able to take in and consider. Why can you not extend the same courtesy to religious opinions?
  • Options
    Anyway, they raised nearly £150k when their initial target was £5k, so they're running one with another slogan in a few months. Anyone got any ideas? I personally like Stephen Fry's, "Religion - Shit It!" :D Might not get past advertising standards though.
    These ones were posted on the Richard Dawkins site:

No more faith schools.

There's no such thing as a Marxist child, there's no such thing as a Christian/Muslim/Jewish/Hindu etc child

Religion: For consenting adults in private.

Religions: They can't all be right, but they can all be wrong.
  • Options
    Do you really think that, or are you only bothered because you subscribe to this social taboo that religious views should be beyond criticism because religious people will be "offended" by it? Good taste? This is utterly tame compared to even the weakest political campaign posters. Do you worry that Labour supporters will be "offended" by the Tories new advertising campaign? No, you assume that a person should be able to have their political opinions questioned without it being tantamount to "bad taste." Would you say that a poster highlighting human rights abuses involved in the making of a particular brand of clothing might be upsetting to those who wear that brand? No, you'd say it's making a legitimate point that anyone of any maturity should be able to take in and consider. Why can you not extend the same courtesy to religious opinions?

What? I did.

I just said it was stupid :p. It's been made into a big faff, like a publicity stunt, pretending they have some moral / intellectual highground, when the bus slogan campaign is just the same.

Like I said (not sure where the misinterpretation came from) - I think everyone has the right to free speech and bus advertising wherever they like. I don't believe that that should be offensive like the religious ones were apparently (I didn't see them).

I also think massive posters of vivisection aren't appropriate, and so on and so forth.

Still, I was saying the bus stunt was a bit daft, like a circus act, and that many atheists defending it are not a-theist [without religion], but are actually anti-theist [against religion] and have rallied together in an equally daft cult of sorts. It's just partisan ideology.

At the end of the day if that's what Londoner's want to do fair play to them, just I can't see the point in having a fight over bug slogans with 'my idea is righter than yours'.
  • Options
    Still, I was saying the bus stunt was a bit daft, like a circus act, and that many atheists defending it are not a-theist [without religion], but are actually anti-theist [against religion] and have rallied together in an equally daft cult of sorts. It's just partisan ideology.

I think being an atheist and anti "theist" are pretty much the same thing. If you believe in science, rationality, logic, then anything that completely contradicts all of those things, is taught in schools to your children, and is treated with (undue) respect in many aspects of our lives is going to be an offense on the beliefs of the atheist. If something contradicts everything you believe, and will have an effect on everything to state policy, laws, regulations in the workplace, education, then you want to hit back and defend your views, not just sit back and go "oh thats okay, lets all let people believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm anyone" etc.

To say it is just mud slinging, "my idea is better than yours" kind of misses the point I think in that the message is trying to promote the logical, factual/evidential basis upon which atheism rests. Perhaps it will even make people consider alternative points of view that they would never have thought about before, e.g. rather than seeing the xian posters and thinking "oh yeah faith is a good thing it makes you moral" they will go away and think about humanity and morality WITHOUT the need for positing gods. Since humanism/atheism is not really taught in schools or is often considered to be a lazy/arrogant point of view, it might be interesting to get people to consider it a bit more themselves, go away and look up what atheists actually think and why they think it, rather than just having vague notions of being xian or whatever themselves because they were christened even though they never go to church/pray/read the bible/do anything else they themselves would consider someone of that religion to do. Sitting on the fence and being "tolerant" and "respectful" of things that do not really deserve respect is not conducive to change.

Anyway I'm sure all of this has been said earlier in the thread, and the controversy just proves the point really and promotes the campaign even more, which can only be a good thing in my opinion. And Stephen Green can just keep talking and making even more of an arse of himself!
  • Options
    Religion doesn't by itself completely contradict science and logic. I think there is a difference between atheist and antitheist really. Do Christian parents get upset when their kids are taught about the big bang? On the whole, absolutely not. I'm sure there are some people who do, and some who feel they must be the thought police of their kids, but how many of us here had Christian parents who went to church and confession and did their hail marys or whatever, but let us grow our own ideas?

The problem with anti-theists is the same problem as with religious fundamentalists, in that they are not happy for people to grow their own ideas - they just want people to believe their idea.

FWIW, there is no proof there is NO God, so I don't know what factual proof atheism rests on ;). It's just occham's razor, but that is not a proof. Therefore, as far as I can see, it's an open verdict, and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The reason I take broadly this line is I have seen very well the ugly side of anti-theism. It is largely about feeling superior and being able to put others down. Something I don't like in any shape whether it be from religionists, antitheists, university students or whatever.
  • Options
    Hmm... let's say that the British Humanist Association, led by the gut-wrenchingly horrid Polly Toynbee from The Grauniad, went to the Advertising Standards Authority with an advert saying "There's probably no Allah", would the authorities have allowed it to be shown? Why do I suspect we already know the answer to this question?

Not that I'd complain if some bearded nutter issued a fatwa against Pollyanna, of course.