Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Atheism bus advertising campaign launched

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Why is it even a 'them vs us' debate. It's just one set of ideas vs anothers. Being religious doesn't automatically change you and being atheist doesn't automatically change you. I despise the religious groups who preach that all non believers are 'xx' (although actually haven't come across any :p except the stuff you hear on the news in the middle east and of course, Team America), but I far more often hear atheist groups saying all believers are 'xx'.

Ok, it's not intolerance in the way I think it is then, it's still stupid, and bigoted. You know there are plenty of religious people who also accept other religions - I mean thats basically what sikhism is based on. Of course you get fundamentalists who will use their religion as a conduit of hate, but that is just as common in religion as it is in atheism in my opinion. The reason you can list off more atrocities with religion involved is because more people than not - historically - were religious.

There are no 'sides', it's all in your mind, and it's a dangerous idea at that. The more you believe it, the more other people believe it, and thats when you get two arbitrary groups squaring up and creating that conflict.

I think the worst act of religion-facilitated hate was probably the inquisition but even that wasn't just because of religion, it was because of in no small part politics.
  • Options
    I quite agree, I think that nobody, no matter what they believe in has the right to have a low opinion of someone else because of what their beliefs are. However, I don't see why the general feeling is that it's ok for people who are religious to absolutely believe they are right, and are able to 'advertise' those beliefs, but when some people want to put a few posters on buses to offer a different perspective, it's actually up for discussion. It should either be an all or nothing thing.

I think there is a great misunderstanding and belief amongst people who do follow a religion that atheist's beliefs aren't as valid because they 'just don't believe in anything'. I don't believe that there is a God, and have strong beliefs in that area; why are my strong beliefs less valid than those of people who have strong beliefs in a God(s)? I do get the feeling that people who are members of a religion must think atheists don't believe in anything out of some sort of general apathy and 'can't be arsedness'.

Sorry I've probably come across all wrong. I believe Atheists no doubt have complicated beliefs, but I think it's hypocritical to form groups to preach beliefs when there is no 'atheist bible' or some such, such as a doctrine or way of life they can share. Because that's just what religion is.

Your personal beliefs are no more or less valid than anybody elses of course, and anyone has the right to put whatever signs up they want. But if you are religious you have a collective belief and a justification to do so. If you are not religious then you don't need to convert people.

Like I said, I myself am probably atheist though the definitions are pretty narrow really - I just believe everyone has the right to free expression and belief. If you want to tell people to join your group, fair enough, but some atheists are too sensitive it seems and want to tell people to leave everyone elses group and not be in a group.

Kind of like running a political campaign to vote for nobody.. what's the point :confused:
  • Options
    Everyone is entitled to their beliefs but beliefs should be open to dispute and ridicule entirely because they are beliefs.
    I think that nobody, no matter what they believe in has the right to have a low opinion of someone else because of what their beliefs are.

lolwut
  • Options
    and equally everyone should have their right to hold whatever beliefs they want upheld.
  • Options
    I quite agree, I think that nobody, no matter what they believe in has the right to have a low opinion of someone else because of what their beliefs are.
    Really? What about Hitler's beliefs? Do they not entitle us to have a low opinion of him?

To me, it's not particularly about the beliefs, it's the way the person has come to them. So for example, one person could be anti-immigration after years of studying the subject academically, and another person could be anti-immigration because of an article they read in The Sun. Which is deserving of more respect? I'm quite clear which one it is: the one based on rational factual analysis. I don't have to agree, but it's up to you to then put your counter reasons. Either way, neither should be deserving of so much respect that it's considered offensive to even question it in polite conversation, like is the case with certain religions, or that "it's my religious beliefs" is consider a valid reason worthy of respect. What does that even mean? Is "I don't really like black people" a respectable reason to refuse to serve a black person in your job? If not, then why is "It's against my religion" a valid reason protected by law for getting out of other roles? Of course you shouldn't just be a dick to anyone with religious beliefs, but when they choose to bring them into the public arena, they can't then complain of "intolerance" when they're ridiculed. As far as religion is concerned, intolerance seems to just mean criticising it, or bizarrely, arguing against people with particular beliefs being given special treatment. And just to clarify, that's secularism, not atheism.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Your personal beliefs are no more or less valid than anybody elses of course, and anyone has the right to put whatever signs up they want.

Beliefs can be validated with empirical proof or a priori knowledge. Thats where the hilarity in debates about theism and atheism comes from, we often just don't know for certain.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    The only intolerance that matters is that one that is linked to action. Religious people can think whatever they want of me so long as they don't impose their views and beliefs on me and try to dictate how my life should be run.

That is the major and inescapable difference. I make no more apology of having complete disdain for much of what religion stands for and how many religious people behave than a Jewish person should have to make for having complete disdain for what Nazim stands for. You might think that Jewish person is "intolerant", technically at least. I personally believe it is actually impossible (or at least irrelevant) to be intolerant of intolerance.

(And no, I don't care about the so-called "Goldwin's Law". :D )

So given that you think intolerance is only linked to action not words I assume you're going to go back on your beleif the BNP should be banned. After all they're only saying things...

And frankly religion can't force you to do anything in the UK or any Western country . 99% of the time they have the same powers as you or me (with the exception of some Anglican Bishops being in the HoL, so few as to have not made a difference in any vote for years - especially as they don't neccessarily vote as a bloc)

Fair enough. But if we are to concentrate then on our modern day, mainly peaceful Western society, where no such atrocities take place any more, the fact remains that we still have intolerance and persecution (though to a much lesser degree only) carried out by one side. Indeed the immense majority of intolerance and interference, by a massive margin, has always come from organised religion.

trust me that ain't true. I can remember as a kid our Minister continually preaching against intolerance, a Minister in the church a few miles away got a bullet through the post so successfully did he rail at it. In fact it was the churches which often made attempts to bring us together.

same with Bos - which makes Northern Ireland look like sunny Hampstead - the intolerance wasn't religous led, the majority on all sides were pretty agnostic at best
    So we have a number of individuals who profoundly disagree with what others believe in, but leave them in peace and try to lead their lives; and the other group who continuously tries to interfere with the others' lives and dictate how they should be lived.

There's only one lot being intolerant here, in the practical meaning of the word

Yes, but not all the second group are religous and a fair chunk of the first group are. And there are plenty of atheists are in each group....
  • Options
    Churches aren't targeted by dictatorial regimes because of a theological disagreement. They're targeted by them because they're a threat to their power base. Dictators will either destroy all churches replacing it with another dogma, or if they have brains, will ally themselves to the strongest church and use that to control the population instead, at the expense of all other religions, as we saw with fascism in Europe, and eventually with the Russian Orthadox church and Stalin too.

Well not all dictators destroy the church, you're right. Hitler killed those elements of the church he was hostile to and allied (or at least tolerated) the remainder.

However, in other cases there is a 'theological' disagreement which leads to killing. i can't see the Lenin and the Church as anything but - over time that may give way to a pragmatic acceptance of the Church once it knows its place or because the people feel more attachment to it than they do you (Stalin and Orthodox). this may be allied to various repressive measures, of course, which fall short of shooting every priest.

But that's often the same in religion, which is why despite the Catholic Church being banned under Henry there are still plenty of Catholics in this country
  • Options
    From the BBC

I particularly like this:
    Bendy-buses, like atheism, are a danger to the public at large
    from the chair of Christian Voice
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    From the BBC

:yes:

Ridiculous :lol:
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    From the BBC

I prefer this:
    This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion.
    from Richard Dawkins.
  • Options
    I quite agree, I think that nobody, no matter what they believe in has the right to have a low opinion of someone else because of what their beliefs are. However, I don't see why the general feeling is that it's ok for people who are religious to absolutely believe they are right, and are able to 'advertise' those beliefs, but when some people want to put a few posters on buses to offer a different perspective, it's actually up for discussion. It should either be an all or nothing thing.

I think there is a great misunderstanding and belief amongst people who do follow a religion that atheist's beliefs aren't as valid because they 'just don't believe in anything'. I don't believe that there is a God, and have strong beliefs in that area; why are my strong beliefs less valid than those of people who have strong beliefs in a God(s)? I do get the feeling that people who are members of a religion must think atheists don't believe in anything out of some sort of general apathy and 'can't be arsedness'.

What I said was a response to the idea that it's ok for atheists to have a low opinion of religious people as long as they're not persecuting them. I don't think it's acceptable for anybody to think they're completely right about everything, especially when it comes to things like how the earth was made and what happens when we die, because we don't know the answers. Atheists have as much right to their opinion as anyone else, and should have the right to advertise if they want to.
  • Options
    I prefer this:
    This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion.

from Richard Dawkins.

Subtext - if you don't agree with me you're stupid*

And people wonder why I see in atheism the mirror image of religion (without the hymns)

That said none of these people strike me as men who didn't think...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_Williams

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Polkinghorne

* to be fair most of us probably think that though we're seldom so arrogant to be so blunt about it
  • Options
    I have a theory that Rowan Williams doesn't actually believe any of the stuff he says, but he's so far into it now that he can't do anything about it. I dunno why, it's just the sly smirk he has on his face whenever he's challenged about his beliefs. Of course plenty of intelligent people are religious. I would question whether their intelligence leads them to be religious though. John Polkinghorne's argument is basically, "I can't explain such and such, so that is evidence for a god." And not just any god, a specific god. That's not an intelligent argument. Why not be satisfied like all good physicists to say "the universe is fine tuned, and we don't yet know why?" Be agnostic. Even be a deist if you want. But I think the belief in god came first, and is innate, and his intelligence allows him to come up with so reasonable sophisticated arguments to justify that in a rational-sounding way. But I highly doubt he was lead to believe in god through purely rational thought processes. You can come up with sophisticated arguments as to why one piece of art is better than another, and a more intelligent person can come up with a more sophisticated argument than a less intelligent person, but that doesn't make it an argument based on rational concepts, and ignores the fact that you're merely attempting to articulate rationally something which is entirely irrational. You prefer one piece of art to another, and you don't really know why, you just know that Radiohead is better than Paris Hilton, because that's what your intuition tells you. Maybe you even join a club of people with similar intuitions.

But anyway, Dawkins is correct on the whole though. Rates of religiosity reduces as education levels increase. That's undeniable.
  • Options
    So given that you think intolerance is only linked to action not words I assume you're going to go back on your beleif the BNP should be banned. After all they're only saying things...
    I know I'm in the minority there but I've always believe lines can and should be drawn in cases where there is significant danger of causing racial hatred/crimes and social unrest. The BNP presently lies beyond that line.
    And frankly religion can't force you to do anything in the UK or any Western country . 99% of the time they have the same powers as you or me (with the exception of some Anglican Bishops being in the HoL, so few as to have not made a difference in any vote for years - especially as they don't neccessarily vote as a bloc)
    Surely you know it's not as simple as that. It is because of religion and religious beliefs that euthanasia is not legal, or that full embryo research is not yet a reality and might in the future be scrapped, or that gay rights are still having to be fought hard. I have nothing against people not approving of such things, but that doesn't mean they have to vote against them and try to make them unavailable for others. Yet many of them continue to do so.

If some people want to believe it is wrong to end my own life or ask others to do it for me, because only "God" can do that, fine. Let them believe I'm going to hell. But when they fight hard to stop me and others from having that option, that's when unacceptable interference takes place. All we ask is that they keep their beliefs to themselves and let us make our own decisions. I don't think its a lot to ask.
  • Options
    The sign on the bus is divisive imo.

This is what puts me off associating with some atheists, as well as reading the New Humanist. The whole "you're an idiot" or "you're wrong unless you're an atheist" reeks of the same smugness as "you're wrong unless you believe in my god/s/ess".

Freedom of speech and all, but religion ain't gonna go away and I think that the message on a bus is kind of sniping at people who hold different beliefs when we should be listening to each other rather than dividing.
  • Options
    Near 50k now :hyper:
  • Options
    I have a theory that Rowan Williams doesn't actually believe any of the stuff he says, but he's so far into it now that he can't do anything about it. I dunno why, it's just the sly smirk he has on his face whenever he's challenged about his beliefs. Of course plenty of intelligent people are religious. I would question whether their intelligence leads them to be religious though. John Polkinghorne's argument is basically, "I can't explain such and such, so that is evidence for a god." And not just any god, a specific god. That's not an intelligent argument. Why not be satisfied like all good physicists to say "the universe is fine tuned, and we don't yet know why?" Be agnostic. Even be a deist if you want. But I think the belief in god came first, and is innate, and his intelligence allows him to come up with so reasonable sophisticated arguments to justify that in a rational-sounding way. But I highly doubt he was lead to believe in god through purely rational thought processes. You can come up with sophisticated arguments as to why one piece of art is better than another, and a more intelligent person can come up with a more sophisticated argument than a less intelligent person, but that doesn't make it an argument based on rational concepts, and ignores the fact that you're merely attempting to articulate rationally something which is entirely irrational. You prefer one piece of art to another, and you don't really know why, you just know that Radiohead is better than Paris Hilton, because that's what your intuition tells you. Maybe you even join a club of people with similar intuitions.

But anyway, Dawkins is correct on the whole though. Rates of religiosity reduces as education levels increase. That's undeniable.

CS Lewis was someone who's thought processes led him to religion - he was born into an Anglican family, but lost religion when his Mom died and he went to private school. However, his later thinking about religion and whether there was a God did lead him back into Anglicanism (to the dissapointment of his staunchly Catholic friend Tolkien).

I'm prepared to accept that rates of religious observance decrease with education, however I take issue with the argument that it's as simple as intelligent people don't believe in God* or that intelligent thought is the enemy of religion. The enemy of religion isn't atheism, it's ill thought out agnosticism (ie people who just don't care one way or the other).

(* any more than I'd accept the argument that because because better educated people vote Tory, voting Tory is sign of intelligence. Both cases atheism and religion may be correct, but there could be other factors. For example in the Tory argument it's also true that better educated people are paid more and people who are paid more are likely to vote Tory).
  • Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with not caring, either :p even if it is a bit... I don't know... boring. I think Namaste makes a much better case than I do :cool:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Freedom of speech and all, but religion ain't gonna go away and I think that the message on a bus is kind of sniping at people who hold different beliefs when we should be listening to each other rather than dividing.
    And messages that tell us that there is a God and we will only be "saved" if we worship him is not sniping???

From some of the reactions I've heard either on message boards or on the press, it would seem to me that some people are suggesting is perfectly okay for religious people advertise the existence of God, but non-religious people advertising the probable non-existance of it are somehow aggresive, militant or intolerant.

Thank fuck the advert didn't say "there is no God" (without the word 'probably') or there'd have been a massive outcry if not a ban on the adverts (despite the religious lot categorically stating that there is a God on a daily basis without any protestation).

And we are the intolerant ones? LOL!

I'm sorry Namaste but if you believe the adverts are divisive and wrong, then you must believe adverts placed by religious groups are exactly that too.
  • Options
    I Surely you know it's not as simple as that. It is because of religion and religious beliefs that euthanasia is not legal, or that full embryo research is not yet a reality and might in the future be scrapped, or that gay rights are still having to be fought hard. I have nothing against people not approving of such things, but that doesn't mean they have to vote against them and try to make them unavailable for others. Yet many of them continue to do so.

If some people want to believe it is wrong to end my own life or ask others to do it for me, because only "God" can do that, fine. Let them believe I'm going to hell. But when they fight hard to stop me and others from having that option, that's when unacceptable interference takes place. All we ask is that they keep their beliefs to themselves and let us make our own decisions. I don't think its a lot to ask.

Really I didn't know that, perhaps because I'm against euthanasia and my being against it has nothing to do with my non-existent religion. I'm also not sure whether I support embryo research either (whereas my wife who goes to Church most Sundays and works in medical research is very supportive of it). Come to that when she was pregnant with our first ones, she was also willing to discuss whether we were ready and if not whether she should have an abortion.

Some of the most homophobic people I met wouldn't have known the inside of the church - there homophobia was much more viscreal and rooted in a view that it was unnatural and wrong for men to have sex with other men and had nothing to do with what was said in a book they'd never read.

It's also the pot calling the kettle black - when they religous people try and say how they want society to be run its 'unacceptable interference' when you say how you want society ran its expressing your opinion.
  • Options
    The sign on the bus is divisive imo.

This is what puts me off associating with some atheists, as well as reading the New Humanist. The whole "you're an idiot" or "you're wrong unless you're an atheist" reeks of the same smugness as "you're wrong unless you believe in my god/s/ess".

They're not divisive - any more than adverts to go to Chruch are (in both cases I think they're a waste of money - but it's not coming from my taxes so it's there money to do with as they like).
  • Options
    And messages that tell us that there is a God and we will only be "saved" if we worship him is not sniping???

From some of the reactions I've heard either on message boards or on the press, it would seem to me that some people are suggesting is perfectly okay for religious people advertise the existence of God, but non-religious people advertising the probable non-existance of it are somehow aggresive, militant or intolerant.

Thank fuck the advert didn't say "there is no God" (without the word 'probably') or there'd have been a massive outcry if not a ban on the adverts (despite the religious lot categorically stating that there is a God on a daily basis without any protestation).

And we are the intolerant ones? LOL!

I'm sorry Namaste but if you believe the adverts are divisive and wrong, then you must believe adverts placed by religious groups are exactly that too.

Just because one group of people can come off as agressive, intolerant or preachy as some Christians (and other groups) can does not give other groups the same right.

Personally I don't give a shit what other people think... Just don't preach your shit at me from the side of buses and tell me I am wrong... Because as somebody who isn't an atheist, but also not a Christian, I find them both as patronising as each other... To be told I some how cannot be happy, or am inferior in some way.

People do not need to be told how to feel about spirituality, doing this creates division.

Fuck's sake... All as bad as each other in concept. I think a lot of people should get off their high horses and live and let live.
  • Options
    CS Lewis was someone who's thought processes led him to religion - he was born into an Anglican family, but lost religion when his Mom died and he went to private school. However, his later thinking about religion and whether there was a God did lead him back into Anglicanism (to the dissapointment of his staunchly Catholic friend Tolkien).

I'm prepared to accept that rates of religious observance decrease with education, however I take issue with the argument that it's as simple as intelligent people don't believe in God* or that intelligent thought is the enemy of religion. The enemy of religion isn't atheism, it's ill thought out agnosticism (ie people who just don't care one way or the other).

(* any more than I'd accept the argument that because because better educated people vote Tory, voting Tory is sign of intelligence. Both cases atheism and religion may be correct, but there could be other factors. For example in the Tory argument it's also true that better educated people are paid more and people who are paid more are likely to vote Tory).
    I think it depends on what level of belief we're talking about. It is not completely irrational or unintelligent (if unlikely IMO) that at some point a superior entity created the seeds that formed the Universe, and life itself.

One might even believe that entity is still alive, and actually is more or less the God described by one of the many beliefs held on this one planet.

However, with a few exceptions, the more a person believes in the literal interpretation of the various holy books, the less intelligent they are likely to be. There are exceptions of course, and there might be explanations for some of the others. It's possible for a person to be reasonably intelligent in some areas but rather ignorant and irrational in others. I suspect in many cases an indoctrination to religion from early childhood simply proves too strong to shake off. But having said all of that, it becomes rather difficult to describe a person who believes, for instance, that the Earth is 6,000 years old, as intelligent.
  • Options
    They're not divisive - any more than adverts to go to Chruch are (in both cases I think they're a waste of money - but it's not coming from my taxes so it's there money to do with as they like).
    So?

I would say the same for any advert saying "god exists" and then somehow assumes that not having a faith in God somehow means you can't be happy, which is what the ad suggests.
  • Options
    Just because one group of people can come off as agressive, intolerant or preachy as some Christians (and other groups) can does not give other groups the same right.

Personally I don't give a shit what other people think... Just don't preach your shit at me from the side of buses and tell me I am wrong... Because as somebody who isn't an atheist, but also not a Christian, I find them both as patronising as each other... To be told I some how cannot be happy, or am inferior in some way.

People do not need to be told how to feel about spirituality, doing this creates division.

Fuck's sake... All as bad as each other in concept. I think a lot of people should get off their high horses and live and let live.
    So do you also object to people preaching religion from the side of buses? Yes or no?
  • Options
    So?

I would say the same for any advert saying "god exists" and then somehow assumes that not having a faith in God somehow means you can't be happy, which is what the ad suggests.

I'd agree -I'm taking issue with your belief they're divisive, because they're not
  • Options
    So?

Then you must object to most religious ads, seeing as they claim not having faith in God means you cannot be "saved" and will not have an afterlife- or even that you will spend eternity being tortured in hell.

The funniest part of the Christian Voice statement about this story was the bit where they said "people don't liked being preached to". You really couldn't make it up...
  • Options
    I think it depends on what level of belief we're talking about. It is not completely irrational or unintelligent (if unlikely IMO) that at some point a superior entity created the seeds that formed the Universe, and life itself.

One might even believe that entity is still alive, and actually is more or less the God described by one of the many beliefs held on this one planet.

However, with a few exceptions, the more a person believes in the literal interpretation of the various holy books, the less intelligent they are likely to be. There are exceptions of course, and there might be explanations for some of the others. It's possible for a person to be reasonably intelligent in some areas but rather ignorant and irrational in others. I suspect in many cases an indoctrination to religion from early childhood simply proves too strong to shake off. But having said all of that, it becomes rather difficult to describe a person to believes, for instance, that the Earth is 6,000 years old as intelligent, to be quite honest.

But that's a different argument one against fundametalism, rather than against religion - I'm not sure any of the major Christian religions accepts the literal truth of Genesis. There are some fundamentalist groups who do - such as the wee frees or some of the US Baptist groups, but it's not mainstream Christian thought any more. And I suspect the mainstream find the wee frees et al as irritating as you do...
  • Options
    So do you also object to people preaching religion from the side of buses? Yes or no?

I just stated my belief in the above paragraph.

Religion or lack thereof, learn some humility.