Home Travel & Free Time
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Limited spaces available! Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Using public transport 'going out'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you find buses safe? How many times I see rowdy kids causing a nuisance, the driver having to deal a passenger who makes a scene say over a ticket, and incidents reported in the news of knife attacks on the top deck. Crowded buses are obviously more secure, but what about coming home from the late bars on a quieter night bus?

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Never had a problem on the night buses, nor have I felt unsafe in any way. I'd prefer travelling with my boyfriend, but if I've been on take in A&E I still feel ok with it. Waiting out in the cold for the bus to come is the worst thing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    go_away wrote: »
    Never had a problem on the night buses, nor have I felt unsafe in any way. I'd prefer travelling with my boyfriend, but if I've been on take in A&E I still feel ok with it. Waiting out in the cold for the bus to come is the worst thing.
    :yes:

    Even the infamous N29 has been all right for me apart from the odd incident of people catcalling or trying to follow me home.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    iv caught the night bus 3 times home from manchester and now refuse to use it ever again. its always full of drunken dickheads. the first time there was a fight on it and i got shoved into one of the handrails, the second time some guys were trying to give me some drugs while my friend snoozed away at the side of me, and the third time some drunken IDIOT (im still angry about this haha) got hold of the fire extinguisher and thought it would be hilarious to squirt everyone on the bus with foam. i was soaked.

    i dont know what they're like in london but i think the only way id get on one again is if they had security on them. theres not much the bus driver can do with disrupting passengers while they're driving. i wish i could get them too because the times are a LOT better than the train times.
  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 Incredible Poster
    Never had a problem in Leeds on buses (we're talking like 3 buses on a Friday & Saturday only!), most people tend to sleep home, but you get the occasional plank being sick or kicking off. Never had a problem on overnight trains, mainly get problems on the late evening (like 10/11pm) which are normally invaded with drunk chavs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    James I have a question i thought you may know the answer to :p if i wanted to complain about train times, would there be any point to it at all? and where would i go to do it?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You occasionally get a loud drunk on the night buses on London, but by 4am most drunks are too drunk to cause too many problems.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I feel safe on the night bus, but after 40 mins to Finchely Im usually bustin' for a piss.

    Note to TfL, put a toilet on the night bus :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never had a problem on late buses/trains but Brighton isnt that bad and I tend to be with my brother if I'm in london so I feel safer.
  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 Incredible Poster
    James I have a question i thought you may know the answer to :p if i wanted to complain about train times, would there be any point to it at all? and where would i go to do it?

    Depends what it was regarding really and what elements. Would help if you gave me more info :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote: »
    Depends what it was regarding really and what elements. Would help if you gave me more info :p

    i will PM you instead of derailing the thread :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    only time i've ever been filled in was on a late night bus back from manchester, me and my mate had been on it all day in manc and had rather a bit too much to drink, some chavs got on going to our town, we thought we were having a bit of banter, but when we got off we got severely beaten, bunch of dicks.

    wouldnt put me off using the bus again tho.

    we still laugh about it to this day.
  • **helen****helen** Mod malarkist Posts: 9,235 Listening Ear
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Do you find buses safe? How many times I see rowdy kids causing a nuisance, the driver having to deal a passenger who makes a scene say over a ticket, and incidents reported in the news of knife attacks on the top deck. Crowded buses are obviously more secure, but what about coming home from the late bars on a quieter night bus?

    I think it's important to have your wits about you. I've actually been mugged by people coming off a night bus, but it hasn't put me off using them altogether. There are certain rules I try and follow:

    1. Avoid sitting upstairs and try and sit near the driver if you can - especially if you're on your own.

    2. If you're completely out of it don't get a night bus (I know that kind of misses the point as if you're that drunk chances are you won't remember how you got home) if you're aware you're pretty wasted and there's a group of you, see if you can negotiate sharing a cab instead!

    3. By all means talk to people, but try and humour drunkens rather than winding them up or getting arsey with them, or turning your nose up at them - better chance of keeping a situation in control.

    And finally, if you're a Londoner - try and petition for 24hr tubes - would make such a difference! :D (probs something I should do myself!)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    **Helen** wrote: »

    And finally, if you're a Londoner - try and petition for 24hr tubes - would make such a difference! :D (probs something I should do myself!)

    I was at a meeting the other day about this, unfortunately this isn't much hope of it ever happening. The best TfL will agree to is a few hours longer on weekends.
  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 Incredible Poster
    Calvin wrote: »
    I was at a meeting the other day about this, unfortunately this isn't much hope of it ever happening. The best TfL will agree to is a few hours longer on weekends.

    Yeah, its just impossible to do a 24/7 service on such a busy network and the massive maintenance requirements!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does CCTV on buses make people feel safer?

    Boris Johnson is introducing live cameras on London buses, linked to an operator at police control centre. As opposed to traditional bus cameras which merely made a recording for playing back if there'a an incident.
  • JsTJsT TheSite Graduate Posts: 18,265 Incredible Poster
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Does CCTV on buses make people feel safer?

    Boris Johnson is introducing live cameras on London buses, linked to an operator at police control centre. As opposed to traditional bus cameras which merely made a recording for playing back if there'a an incident.

    Live CCTV is a good idea if its monitored and Police etc can intercept the bus and sort any problem.

    As it turns out CCTV on most trains is normally kept for about 7 days and is automatically recorded over, plus in terms of staff time and lost utilisation means its costs somewhere in the region of about £3000 to download it.....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    I feel safe on the night bus, but after 40 mins to Finchely Im usually bustin' for a piss.

    Note to TfL, put a toilet on the night bus :D

    That's normally the only problem I have too on the 14 back to Fulham!

    That and getting back and realising the kebab shop shut 5 minutes ago!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if I'm pissed I get a taxi, although I'm lucky that taxis to my house cost about a fiver.
  • **helen****helen** Mod malarkist Posts: 9,235 Listening Ear
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Does CCTV on buses make people feel safer?

    No, because when I was mugged on the bus we had the CCTV videos checked and found out there was no tape in it!
  • **helen****helen** Mod malarkist Posts: 9,235 Listening Ear
    Calvin wrote: »
    I was at a meeting the other day about this, unfortunately this isn't much hope of it ever happening.

    :(
Sign In or Register to comment.