Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Secret Policemans Ball and Amnesty

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hi
I wanted to ask TheSite-ers what they made of the Secret Policman's Ball (you can catch it on 4OD if you missed it)...

And if you liked it there are more unseen clips and backstage footage added all the time at http://www.protectthehuman.com/tags/secret-policemans-ball
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    grrrr

i did miss it because my stupid tv aerial still hasn't been fixed!
    Had a few good moments but nowhere as good as the one as couple of years ago.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    grrrr

i did miss it because my stupid tv aerial still hasn't been fixed!
    Watch it on 4OD?
    or even, spam?
    Yup, it's spam - though we'll email them about it tomorrow rather than bring out the banhammer... seems ethically dubious to ban amnesty out of hand.

As to the show - thought it was pretty poor this year. Easily the worst I've seen.

Was it just me or did that whole space in front of the stage just seem empty, at least the way it was shot? More than that, isn't this the second year they've used that weird 'in the round' stage at the front of the main stage. It was embarrassing enough for one year but to use it again? Easily the worst idea any stage manager has ever had. Nothing like confusing the audience to kill the mood.

And Eddie Izzard twice? Even having him on to introduce a serious film just reminds you that he was funny at teh ball a decade ago - having him on twice just makes it even more obvious that comedy has a shelf life.

All round though the biggest thing for me was just the overwhelming sense of a rushed show - even the good jokes seemed to fall flat, the re-enactments of comedy sketches seemed lifeless (Mitchell and Webb looked almost angry that they were there), poor stage design (watsit from FotCs should have been the best part but the stage and apparent lack of rehersal blew that) and what can at best probably be described as an apathetic audience.

(did people win tickets by raffle or just by walking past?)

And, no offense to amnesty, but much as I like Frank Skinner - who thought the best way to start the show was with an old man talking about fucking doggy style?

Peter Cook must be turning in his grave