Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gomorrah

I know this sort of should be in the Entertainment section, but given its one of the darkest and viseral looks at modern crime you are likely to see at the cinema I thought it would get a better airing here.

Basically if you havent gone out and seen it you must. No one in it has any redeeming features at all, the story is unremitingly dark but it is an absolute master piece and really shows how a society can break down when there is almost no law and order.

Corruption, drug dealing and violence are shown in I think the most realistic way for a film I have ever seen.

I saw it with Martin Bashir and we both thought it was amazing.

For those who want a soft touch government and beleive those who are poor deserve their fate should watch this with interest, the estates we have in the UK are not all that dis-similar to the ones portrayed here.

Lets face it people, when we pen the poor up in sub-human conditions they behave like animals. The 'drug war' as it is stupidly called is well and truly lost and we need to look at long term strategies to get us out of the mess which is all around us.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like a good movide, thanks for the recommendation.
  • Options
    Heard about it, wanted to see it.

I heard that one of the actors was a (ex?) mobster too. Inmates who saw the movie tipped him off, he was arrested.

so much to show how realistic that movie is :p
  • Options
    There's been quite a lot of stuff around the book and the movie.

Here's the state of play for the authour at the moment -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7583739.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7671614.stm

And my understanding is that the film was made in the same area it's reporting on, using real people who'd never acted before from that area. So unsurprisingly some turned out to actually be involved in crime.
  • Options
    Sounds a bit like 'City of God'
  • Options
    Sounds a bit like 'City of God'
    Yeah City of God was very similar in a certain sense as they used local people as actors there too. Similar situation except set in Rio de Janeiro instead.

I'll check Gomorrah out.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Sounds like a good movie, thanks for the recommendation.

It is amazing, I dont really know how to put it but this is not an enjoyable experience, but it is worth seeing. See it on the big screen this is one film which is definitely worth the £10 for the cinema.
  • Options
    Yea well in some ways I guess it's like recommending schindler's list to someone isn't it? You can't say it's a 'nice' movie because its not but its so... awesome. (Not in the 'cool' way, but in the awe-inspiring, eye-opening way)