Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

hi to every1

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
can any1 please give me some advice on landlord issues. im renting a house which is in a real bad place ive been here 4 5 months and the landlord has not done one repair. i went to the council who then came round to look at the house with the landlord its a 3 way contract with the council, landlord and myself. they have said the repairs need to be done but said they will give the landlord more time. the front and back doors get stuck so it is hard to get in and out, the bathroom basin is off the wall, there is not smoke alarms and not electric in one of the bedrooms, water pour down the wall onto the electric lights on the ceiling, the electrics keep tripping out. The landlord got a electric man round today to look at wiring up some electric for the bedroom but he sed the electric should be condemed and lefted. i have been to the cab and the council seem to be just trying to cover there own back cos the house shouldnt have been let out in the first place i just don t know what to do.

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    sammy2000 wrote: »
    can any1 please give me some advice on landlord issues. im renting a house which is in a real bad place ive been here 4 5 months and the landlord has not done one repair. i went to the council who then came round to look at the house with the landlord its a 3 way contract with the council, landlord and myself. they have said the repairs need to be done but said they will give the landlord more time. the front and back doors get stuck so it is hard to get in and out, the bathroom basin is off the wall, there is not smoke alarms and not electric in one of the bedrooms, water pour down the wall onto the electric lights on the ceiling, the electrics keep tripping out. The landlord got a electric man round today to look at wiring up some electric for the bedroom but he sed the electric should be condemed and lefted. i have been to the cab and the council seem to be just trying to cover there own back cos the house shouldnt have been let out in the first place i just don t know what to do.

Hey Sammy, really sorry to hear about this - it sounds like you're having a really hard time with your place as it doesn't sound like a comfortable place to be living at all. :(

It's great that you've already been in touch with the council and the CAB and a shame that you don't have some straight answers on this. If you have any records of the correspondence that you've had with these so far it would be a good idea to keep them safe.

Moving forward, Shelter has some decent information on getting repairs done and if you haven't written any formal letters of complaint yet then it would be a good idea to start doing so - Shelter has some templates for this and it might be a good idea to get a friend to help. You might also want to take some photos of what needs repairing.

I hope you get it all sorted soon and keep posting.