Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Youth Hostel Association

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They were at the Forum3 event and it looks like something I'd like to do, as contracts start around the time I can cut off my tennancy, I love working with people and accomodation is free.

I could do with a change of scenery from call centres, London and long hours for low pay. I'd love to meet well travelled people and have a job that involves face to face contact and where I can hopefully invest more energy, as I always have a lot to burn.

The job seems perfect for me to save up so I can afford a TEFL... However, as with any job, I'm cautious.

Does anybody here have any advice for this kind of work? The job would be in a hostel, not only involving general housekeeping, but also reception and some administration duties.

It's seasonal as well.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Yeah, my brother has been a YHA slave for the last 2 years. He tends to do the ski chalets in the winter season and the YHA in the summer.

The pay isn't fantastic but as you say it's very cheap living. I think he gets about £100 a month deducted for his board which is pretty good going, especially when he can live anywhere in the UK he fancies. He's been at Grasmere for the last few seasons as it's close to home and he can't afford to live there any other way.

Is he treated well?

I like the idea as the position I am applying for is varied.
  • Options
  • Options
    It really depends on your attitude and the attitude of those that are working with you that season. Staff move on constantly - either to different hostels or to different jobs. If you don't mind working hard then it's great. However, if you are applying to be a general assistant you will be expected to do everything. James has had to clean up human faeces, strip plaster off walls to deal with bedbugs and cook for 150 people at the drop of a hat.
    Yep... You work 5 days out of 7...

But to be honest, I don't mind that really. I currently sit facing a computer screen 8 hours a day in a call centre... I leave home at 7:40am, I get in around 7pm...

I'm bored and fed up... YHA looks like enough variety to keep one entertained and it's only for summer.