Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Suggestions for an assignment?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Evenin' all.

Part of my continuous assessment for final year dictates we must write an article based upon, "public understanding of science". It has to be in the style of a journalist for New Scientist, but I'm having trouble thinking of what to write about.

It can literally be about any science related topic, from global warming to vegetarianism. Thing is, I'm worried because I write for my uni mag on health issues, and science journalist is my ideal job. So I'm nervous about handing something in and being told "you're actually a really shit science writer, pick a new career path".

So I'm just looking for some suggestions on what people find interesting about science. I was toying with the idea of God and Science, or something like that.

Any suggestions, welcome. Really! :heart:

Ps, this being science-health related I thought this forum would be best. Apologies if not..

Comments

• Options
    you're stating the dogma of science, that 'fact' in our field doesnt exist, it is merely a series of temporary explanations of a phenomenon until a better hypothesis arises..it is interesting!

couldnt write an article on it. It's due on an actual topic- but thanks for the input, still thinking :(
  • Options
    The public seem to have a woeful understanding of 'superbugs', the term 'hospital aquired infection' is thrown around so much that most people dont know that you're likely to carry your infection in with you rather than get it there.
  • Options
    As you are going to explain "public understanding of science", then i think doing some surveys will be best way to start to get the idea what general public think about something and why, and i hope in that thing, this site can also help you out. Ask your prof. if he/she can help you out in what questions should be appropriate to put in survey for the topic, you have chosen.

good luck.
  • Options
    Like your idea budda, I've emailed my prof. to make sure that Intelligent Design is actually approriate as a bioscience topic, if not then the superbug topic is relavent and interesting.

Merci
  • Options
    Stem cell research perhaps? I did my dissertation on it a few years ago and it's one of the hot topics in biosciences at the moment.

In relation to your article you could perhaps focus on expectations of the public ("miracle cure") vs actual scientific research ("long way to go yet").
  • Options
    GM foods
  • Options
    Evolution is probably the one that's had most written about it and surveys about it. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not. Another option would be to just talk about public understanding of the scientific process in general, how the whole thing works, and what things like "theory" mean in science compared to the more general meaning.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    Effectiveness of SSRI's and other anti depressants and their over prescription - especially in america where kids as young as four are being prescribed anti depressants and behavior altering drugs.

Massive scope for debate.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Effectiveness of SSRI's and other anti depressants and their over prescription - especially in america where kids as young as four are being prescribed anti depressants and behavior altering drugs.

Massive scope for debate.

I would say the use of Ritalin and Adderal in the US is far more concerning than their use of SSRI's on young kids there. Last time I heard anything 1 in 8 10 year olds was on medication for ADHD which is a truly alarming statistic. Especially when you consider that Adderal is banned here for use in ADHD cases because it is basically speed.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I would say the use of Ritalin and Adderal in the US is far more concerning than their use of SSRI's on young kids there.

I'd say they were equally concerning.
    Obviously the drugs are different but it's all part of the same picture. Over prescription of mind bending, mood altering, addictive drugs. SSRI's are the most prescribed drug in America, as yet uprooven and are routinely being given to kids under 10.
    Last time I heard anything 1 in 8 10 year olds was on medication for ADHD which is a truly alarming statistic. Especially when you consider that Adderal is banned here for use in ADHD cases because it is basically speed.

Kids in care in America are the most at risk.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I'd say they were equally concerning.
    Obviously the drugs are different but it's all part of the same picture. Over prescription of mind bending, mood altering, addictive drugs. SSRI's are the most prescribed drug in America, as yet uprooven and are routinely being given to kids under 10.

Fair enough, far more research needs to be done as to the effectiveness of giving SSRI's to such young kids, if indeed it needs to be done at all, I think its banned here for under 16's which seems wise.
    Kids in care in America are the most at risk.

Of course, not only because the care system there is even worse than it is here (which is saying something).

On a broader note the drug market in the US is moving in a truly scary direction, the stronger the laws on illegal drugs the more the abuse of prescription drugs moves in. This is most obvious with adderal and oxycontin.
  • Options
    Far more research need to go into SSRI's full stop, not just they're use for kids.
    I've still yet to see any evidence whatsoever that a chemical inbalance is the cause of depression, yet that's what these drugs 'work to correct' and they're prescribed to millions?
    Seems to me there's a link missing there - like scientific fact and evidence.

Yet how many times do hear people saying "I have depression because I have a chemical inbalance"

It's just a theory and whether or not you subscribe to it, it should be treated as such. It should not be an excuse for government backed big pharma companies to line their pockets.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It's just a theory and whether or not you subscribe to it, it should be treated as such. It should not be an excuse for government backed big pharma companies to line their pockets.

Fair enough, although if you reduce the seritonin levels in animal brains they do tend to exhibit depressive symptoms. And I have seen at least 3 friends helped by the use of SSRI's. Which is far from saying that they are a cure-all, they are not, but they do seem to help stablise the person while therapy helps in the longer term.

However having said that though I do share your concerns about their over prescription, and from what I have read the use of SSRI's by themselves dont seem to have much benefit.
  • Options
    Fair enough, although if you reduce the seritonin levels in animal brains they do tend to exhibit depressive symptoms.

And you feel low after caining MDMA through low seratonin levels, but that's not to say that a comedown is the same as depression.

It's obviously far more complicated than that. Where is the evidence for it?
    And I have seen at least 3 friends helped by the use of SSRI's.

I too know people who claim to have been helped by SSRI's, but is that really enough proof? Some people swear Homeopathy helps them, but does it really?

I don't think peoples direct experience should be discounted but where's the scientific evidence to back it up. Where's the overwhelming evidence from drug trials that these drugs are significantly more effective than a sugar pill?

What is for certain is that they carry dangerous and unpleasant side effects. These are drugs that carry a warning on the box that they may increase suicidal thoughts yet the effectiveness of what they're designed to do is still in question.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    And you feel low after caining MDMA through low seratonin levels, but that's not to say that a comedown is the same as depression.

It's obviously far more complicated than that. Where is the evidence for it?.

Of course, unfortunately my access to medical research papers isnt as wide as it once was, but I'll have a look and see what I can find. I should point out though that all the symptoms described by people on 'suicide tuesday' are very similar to those who suffer from long term depression.
    I too know people who claim to have been helped by SSRI's, but is that really enough proof? Some people swear Homeopathy helps them, but does it really?

I don't think peoples direct experience should be discounted but where's the scientific evidence to back it up. Where's the overwhelming evidence from drug trials that these drugs are significantly more effective than a sugar pill?

What is for certain is that they carry dangerous and unpleasant side effects. These are drugs that carry a warning on the box that they may increase suicidal thoughts yet the effectiveness of what they're designed to do is still in question.

Yes, they do come with those side effects, although they are rare (especially with adults which is why their use for under 18's has been at least frowned upon if not banned by NICE) but then all drugs come with side effects.

I guess our fundamental disagreement is that I think that SSRI's are a useful tool to be used as part of other treatments, in terms of stablising people while they deal with the issues which are causing them problems.

You are right though, the idea that just low seritonin = depression is too simplistic, there are many causes a lot of which has to do with really complicated social and economic factors.

I dont think they should be prescribed as often as they are, but if used in the correct clinical setting they do seem to have beneficial effects. The biggest problem we have in the UK is that GP's can not easily refer people to proper therapy, so because of that they prescribe SSRI's in the hope that they will help, which they might but not anywhere near as much as when they are used inconjunction with therapy. But then trained and proffessional therapists are very expensive and SSRI's arent.

Hoepfully we can agree that mental health problems in the UK are grossly underfunded and that research is needed as well as a big increase in the availability in therapy for those who need it.