Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Men of the Match

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
How good was that match. Apart from the scrappy last 20 minutes, they did us proud, and took the Argies down in style.

My men of the match:

Nicky Butt
David Beckham
Michael Owen
Emile Heskey
Rio Ferdinand
David Seaman
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I also think the ref did a good job of taking no shit from anyone since some teams 'drop' like flies.

They all did a brilliant job, esp the defence :D
  • Options
    Those damn Argies are such cheats. They dive far too often, and took out our players without hesitation :mad:

But we don't take crap off anyone, and we gave as good as we got :D

That ref is my personal hero. He was very fair (although that cheating scumbag Batistuta should have gone in the first half), and should be applauded for his impartiality :)
  • Options
    ENGLAND!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Butt has been so underestimated because he has to compete with Roy Keane at Man Utd. He's the closest thing England have to a Keano. But they were all brilliant. They played as a team, which is something they've lacked in the past. Well done Sven.

The ref was great

Im envious of the stadium. Thats what our national stadium should be like. Perfect atmosphere every time!
  • Options
    Rio Ferdinand #1

Fuckin amazing match.
  • Options
    Brilliant team performance, but the defence especially did us proud. My men of match... Butt and Ferdinand did so well keeping the Argie attack under control; Seaman - for a couple of magnificent saves; Owen for his trickery in attack and sheer pace.

Now to give Nigeria a nice going-away present...

england.gifengland.gifengland.gif
  • Options
    Everyone played well, but to mention a couple who haven't yet been mentioned... Sheringham, who did so well in his first 15 minutes of play, and continued to do pretty well after (if that volley had gone in :eek: )and Sinclair who played a lot of good football on the left.
  • Options
    *thinks this is a perfect excuse for a poll*

Has to be Rio Ferdinand and Nicky Butt. Was a birlliant team performance and I ain't taking anything away from the rest of the lads - just those two stuck out. Rio seemed to win absolutely everything in the air, and handled the big match well. Butt has his critics and those that don't think he is worthy of a place in the team (myself included) but he's proved me, and some others wrong. Brilliant lads :D. Even Heskey did well coming back and winning the ball a few times.

Scholes and Sherringham - who taught them to hit a ball like that!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ego
    *thinks this is a perfect excuse for a poll*

Has to be Rio Ferdinand and Nicky Butt. Was a birlliant team performance and I ain't taking anything away from the rest of the lads - just those two stuck out. Rio seemed to win absolutely everything in the air, and handled the big match well. Butt has his critics and those that don't think he is worthy of a place in the team (myself included) but he's proved me, and some others wrong. Brilliant lads :D. Even Heskey did well coming back and winning the ball a few times.

Scholes and Sherringham - who taught them to hit a ball like that!!

have to agree. ive always felt rio was over-hyped but now he's proved himself on world stage so i hold my hat up to him

*if i had a hat*
  • Options
    I think this picture sums up the day....
  • Options
    Nicky Butt was my man of the match, but not one player had a bad game, they are all wonderful.
  • Options
    I dont think the last 20 minutes were scrappy, they were nerve wracking but werent scrappy!

I think england gave a solid defensive performance (apart from 1 cock up)

and my man of the match was butt, he was wikked!