Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

New FPA campaign on abortion in Northern Ireland

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

We do a lot of work with the FPA and as a resource for sexual health advice they asked us to promote their new campaigning videos around the issue of abortion in Northern Ireland.

Now whilst the videos are simply too campaign based for the rest of the website we thought they'd still be interesting for you to see and discuss. So feel free to discuss the videos themselves, I'm sure the FPA would love any feedback, or the issues mentioned - which is always interesting (if fraught though hopefully a bit less mental than some of the youtube comments already recieved...)

Anyway - here are the toob links -

Mary's Story
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zrc4xxAMcIM

Irene's story
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4CkDA9MhBKg

Fact and fiction
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=erl-ryHeUkM

Young person's discussion group
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfMGHBgChg

Comments

• Options
    I'm by inclination an intigrationist, so think anything which is law in England should be in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales (and vice versa)
  • Options
    Is there any reason that it hasn't been introduced in NI?
  • Options
    Is there any reason that it hasn't been introduced in NI?

Political cowardice by Westminster
  • Options
    but why wasn't it a blanket policy when it was first introduced?
  • Options
    Hmm... I detect bias here. Let's say that an organisation had contacted TheSite, saying they were running a campaign saying that abortion should be made illegal, or something like that. Why do I suspect that Jim V would have told them to fuck off, instead of posting propaganda like this?
  • Options
    Well duh. You're on a charity website, not the BBC. Youthnet has an ethos on particular issues, and a set of charitable aims to fulfill in line with that ethos, so they're obviously going to promote campaigns which fit in with that. You wouldn't expect to see a Catholic website promoting Youthnet's latest condom campaign in the name of being unbiased, would you?
  • Options
    but why wasn't it a blanket policy when it was first introduced?

Because Northern Ireland has it's own say in certain legal affairs. Homoesexuality wasn't made legal here for instance until the mid-80's.

It's a society which is still dominated heavily by religious fuckwits, both Catholic and fundamental Protestant who don't support abortion. It's the same in the Republic of Ireland, abortion won't be made legal there for a lonnnng time yet.
  • Options
    You wouldn't expect to see a Catholic website promoting Youthnet's latest condom campaign in the name of being unbiased, would you?
    And neither would I expect to see pro-abortion propaganda from a charity that claims to be impartial.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    And neither would I expect to see pro-abortion propaganda from a charity that claims to be impartial.
    Pro-abortion propaganda. Don't be pathetic. They are pro-choice, which is entirely in line with Youthnet's policy as show below. China is pro-abortion. Not wanting the government to be able to make decisions about your personal issues and body isn't. I thought you were for less government interference in people's personal affairs? Only when it suits you as usual, eh SG?

From Youthnet's policy:
    We believe all young people have the capacity to make their own decisions and life choices, provided they have access to high quality, impartial information and advice. We don't tell anyone how to lead their lives - we just believe everybody should have all the information they need to make their own decisions.

Therefore, pro-choice is the only position for a charity such as this to take, because it is the only position that allows young people to make their own decision on how to lead their lives. Pretty simple if you ask me.

On a personal note, well, there really has never been an argument from the anti-choice side based on any rational foundation whatsoever.
  • Options
    I thought you were for less government interference in people's personal affairs? Only when it suits you as usual, eh SG?
    I'm actually in favour of abortion being legal, so get your facts right.
    Therefore, pro-choice is the only position for a charity such as this to take, because it is the only position that allows young people to make their own decision on how to lead their lives. Pretty simple if you ask me.
    Youthnet shouldn't be taking a position on it at all. They're more than welcome to provide the arguments in favour of and against, how to go about getting an abortion, and things like that but that doesn't mean you have to endorse it.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Youthnet shouldn't be taking a position on it at all. They're more than welcome to provide the arguments in favour of and against, how to go about getting an abortion, and things like that but that doesn't mean you have to endorse it.

They are endorsing it being legal. There's a big difference between that and taking a position on the morality of abortion.

And I don't know where you get this strange idea that a charity is supposed to be unbiased. It has charitable aims, and as such, has political opinions on things that will help it achieve such aims. Would you expect Oxfam not to have an opinion on aid to Africa? Would you expect the National Secular Society not to have an opinion on faith schools? If Helen was writing up an article on the moral debate surrounding abortion, you might have a point. But this is simply a case of giving publicity to a cause that will allow the women of Northern Ireland the right to read Helen's unbiased article on the moral debate of abortion, and make their own choice. That is fully within the aims of Youthnet. And they were put up in the Politics and Debate forum, not any advice forum, which is precisely the place for people to give their political opinion on things. Do you accuse them of bias when they post people's rants on this site? No, you accept that it's an opinion placed in the relevant section, and either agree of disagree.

Just to be clear, from the Charity Commission:
    Charities can campaign for a change in the law, policy or decisions (as detailed in this guidance in section C4) where such change would support the charity's purposes. Charities can also campaign to ensure that existing laws are observed.
    The only qualifier for that is that it cannot be the only reason for the charity's existance, and it must remain independent as far as party political issues go. Further:
    A charity can campaign using emotive or controversial material, where this is lawful and justifiable in the context of the campaign. Such material must be factually accurate and have a legitimate evidence base.
  • Options
    Total pwnage. :thumb:
  • Options
    They are endorsing it being legal. There's a big difference between that and taking a position on the morality of abortion.

:yes: FFS SG, get off your high horse.

Youthnet are entitled to support which causes they feel are appropriate for their aims. If you dont like it your more then welcome not use the resourses any more.