Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interview Tips

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have an interview with Thames Valley Police, at the moment i cant wait but somewhere in me i know i am going to mess up/become quiet/mumble and allround umployable -

any tips/tricks that makes me go in/out with a bang/a good person?

Comments

• Options
    firm handshake.
    keep eye contact.

refer to notes if you have any.

make sure you ask at least A question.

elaborate on anything you think is not clear.

when asked your negative side, include a positive which you balance it with (i.e i'm crap at maths, but i side with the math guru who's crap at english, which i'm shit hot at) - or something like that.

good luck
  • Options
    do some research before so you feel prepared. think about the questions they're likely to ask you and plan how you're going to answer.
    eye contact.
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    Prepare your answer to this question: "Why do you want this job?"
    You'll be asked it, or a variation of it, at the start of the interview and if you can confidently reply you'll feel so much better once the first question is out of the way.

Most interviews will ask for examples from your past, to demonstrate key skills. So thing of ancedotes you can give to:
    * being made to work under pressure
    * dealing with a difficult situation
    * having to work in a team
    * dealing with a difficult colleague

Look at the job specification and thing of questions someone would ask if they wanted you make sure you could match that description. So if it says: "able to deal fairly with all sections of society" think of an example or experience you've had where you do that.

And finally be confident. Look straight into the eyes of the people you are talking to, push your shoulders back and lean forward in your chair. Remember, despite how big and scary they appear, they are actually on your side and want you to succeed... having sat on enough interviews (the other side) I can tell you that it wastes everyone's time to interview someone to fail.

Good luck...

Olly