Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dawn Porter: Mail Order Bride

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Did anyone watch this? It couldn't have been more creepy. There was one bloke who I'd consider okay, but the rest of them made the family from Texas Chainsaw seem normal.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I watched it, I love Dawn Porter I think she's really good!

It was all a bit strange the programme though! There were two weird men on it the one who was quite rich and who was really into the blonde girl and got really jelouse when she was taking to police man. He was strange! He was crying at the end over it all, and saying stuff to put her off the other man like cops have high suicide rates :eek2:

The second man who was freaky was the one who drove lorries and said he hadn't had a girl under 25, he freaked me out :nervous:
    He was into all that violent sex and was just generally a creepy man!
  • Options
    I was really reluctant to watch it after last week's programme (my estimation of Dawn really dropped) but I thought it was interesting.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I was really reluctant to watch it after last week's programme (my estimation of Dawn really dropped) but I thought it was interesting.

Was that the one where she went to the sex place in Germany?
  • Options
    The commune, yes.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    The commune, yes.

Why did your estimation of her drop during that programme? I only watched the latter half of it but found it quite interesting...
  • Options
    For a lot of reasons. One was that she wasn't actually paying much attention to what the people were saying, some individuals in the commune made 2 very profound comments about relationships: 1) It's up to you to get your needs voiced and met and 2) The idea that there is one person who can tick all your boxes and meet all your needs and be your everything - is false. She made no attempt to delve further into this, she just continued to persue the poor woman who was dealing with a relationship break-up, and using it as a means to silently say that any relationships that stray from monogamy are inherently wrong, weird and will only result in heartbreak.

I have no idea why they felt the need to travel across to the States and then to Germany when there are plenty of polyamorous people living in the UK. The programme made out that to live a lifestyle like that, you had to adopt some new age paradigm and be aging. Which is simply bullshit as I'm not monogamous and there is no burning sage or yoni paintings in my flat :D

The oil ceremony was purely for titillation. You could almost see Dawn's bottom lip start to wobble when there was a chance that she would not be allowed to partake, she could probably envisage the wrist-slap back at Channel 4 if she didn't come back with the money shot.

She concluded that every style of relationship has its drawbacks. Thanks for the enlightenment, genius(!) But essentially the programme could have worked with some really interesting material and insights, but the purpose was to do the moral finger-wagging at something that deviates from the Daily Mail's moral norms.
  • Options
    I haven't seen her new stuff, but I remember being appalled by Dawn Goes Lesbian for pretty much the same reasons go_away objected to the programme about the commune.
  • Options
    I watched most of it (the Mail Order Bride one), I saw the Lesbian one too - and the one where she tried to get a bus load of women to go naked or something like that. I've got mixed feelings about Dawn Porter and these programmes. I do think they're entertaining and sometimes very interesting, but I also agree they're often a bit one-sided and try to make out they're presenting something as an informative documentary whereas in reality it is, as go_away mentioned, mere titillation.
  • Options
    :eek2: Random.
  • Options
    I watched it today - the lorry man was so horrible and freaky. Urrgghhhhhh
  • Options
    I was more creeped out by Dawn’s puritanical 1950s Hausfrau attitudes, more evident in other episodes. There seems to have been a spate of such female presenters, including Anna Richardson, who presents the sex ‘education’ programme, to say nothing of Trinny and Susannah promising to get naked and turning up in their great-grandmothers’ Victorian nightgowns.
  • Options
    I forgot to add ‘Frumpenstein's Monster’ to that last post.