Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is alcohol a dangerous drug?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes, I do realise your point there. I think to be honest, because Scotland is known for its drink problem, they are possibly trying to dissuade people. I can't believe that 8 units would seriously overload many people's livers.
  • Options
    more people die due to alcohole than any other drug, I think it can be very dangerous especially when people mix it with other drugs or do stupid things while drunk.
  • Options
    mr..nemo wrote: »
    more people die due to alcohole than any other drug

Have you any info with which to prove this?
  • Options
    WLH wrote: »
    Have you any info with which to prove this?

Alcohol is linked to nearly 40,000 deaths per year. Alcohol is so widespread and drinking too much so normal it's not really surprising ... but as everyone knows it's safe and even beneficial in moderation.
  • Options
    mr..nemo wrote: »
    more people die due to alcohole than any other drug.

Rubbish, smoking kills many times more.
  • Options
    Alcohol is linked to nearly 40,000 deaths per year. Alcohol is so widespread and drinking too much so normal it's not really surprising ... but as everyone knows it's safe and even beneficial in moderation.

I can believe this. I don't think it should be made illegal, as that'd be going a bit far, but I do agree with the article that people aren't aware enough of the risks.

I think the daily limits are a bit, well, limiting! Though if you drink absolutely every day I can imagine that more than that level would be likely to impact on your health.

Do you think smoking is worse, taking into account passive smoking as well?
  • Options
    I think the daily limits are a bit, well, limiting! Though if you drink absolutely every day I can imagine that more than that level would be likely to impact on your health.

This type of drinking is more heathier than binge drinking every weekend for example. I personally don't see the point in alcohol anymore - I personally couldn't care if people drank, just as long as they're not complete asses when drunk. The type I mean is: "Oh c'mon it's the weekend, get drunk! WAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAA - PArtayyyyy".

All I'd like to see is people acknowledge that alcohol is a drug, poision and is deadly - it doesn't seem to go through to some people since it's so socially accepted in society.
  • Options
    ah well still nothin better than a good binge :thumb:
  • Options
    Alcohol is a depressant drug. In small quantities it reduces anxiety and induces feelings of pleasure and relaxation. Consumed in larger quantities it leads to loss of co-ordination, alteration in thought processes and social interaction, and, in some cases, aggression. Drinking large amounts can lead to nausea, vomiting, coma and death. Individuals differ in their response to alcohol and this will depend on rate of absorption, distribution in the body and rate of metabolism.

How does the metabolic rate affect alcohol absorption?

I don't think that many people actually die from binge drinking, they just get hungover and vomit. Certainly think the rest is true.
  • Options
    I don't think that many people actually die from binge drinking, they just get hungover and vomit. Certainly think the rest is true.

Not many but its entirely possible to do, I think a kid during Freshers week recently over dosed on alcohol and killed himself.
  • Options
    I am genuinely surprised that people manage to overdose on alcohol. I thought that loss of control is really what makes it potentially dangerous.

<All I'd like to see is people acknowledge that alcohol is a drug, poision and is deadly - it doesn't seem to go through to some people since it's so socially accepted in society.>

It is very difficult to get away from it, even if you want to. The main trouble with giving up completely is that it just doesn't seem to be very enjoyable - maybe it's a case of not wanting to seem negative or is it just addiction?
  • Options
    I am genuinely surprised that people manage to overdose on alcohol. I thought that loss of control is really what makes it potentially dangerous.

All depends on the person. I've been sat in the back of an ambulance with a young lad who had 2 cans of Fosters.
  • Options
    I think alcohol is more dangerous than a lot of illegal drugs.

I'd rather be in a club full of people on MDMA or tripping than pissed.

Cannabis however (I've tripped on it, lovely experience) is also quite dangerous... I reckon partly because its use is so easy to become habit. It's also cheaper to smoke than drink... You can have a few mates around for a smoke... But I know a guy (see another thread) who smokes it constantly and it is making his illness worse...

I'm not saying that he wouldn't be schizophrenic without it, but that there's no way in hell it's hoping him.

I used to be a stoner and it made my depression a lot worse.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    All depends on the person. I've been sat in the back of an ambulance with a young lad who had 2 cans of Fosters.

I don't believe that!

<I think alcohol is more dangerous than a lot of illegal drugs.>

Though the thing with alcohol is that you do know what you're getting (unless drinks are spiked, something to watch out for) unlike illegal drugs which are sometimes mixed with other substances and are therefore less reliable.

There is also the criminal element which makes them more dangerous than they would be otherwise. Admittedly personal experience hasn't played much of a part in forming this view.
  • Options
    Though the thing with alcohol is that you do know what you're getting (unless drinks are spiked, something to watch out for) unlike illegal drugs which are sometimes mixed with other substances and are therefore less reliable.

There is also the criminal element which makes them more dangerous than they would be otherwise. Admittedly personal experience hasn't played much of a part in forming this view.

Yes, but it is rare that they are cut with anything which will do the user serious harm, dead customers isnt good for business. And anyway that is because of the law not the drugs themselves.

Of course there is a criminal element, they are illegal. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Yes, but it is rare that they are cut with anything which will do the user serious harm, dead customers isnt good for business. And anyway that is because of the law not the drugs themselves.

Of course there is a criminal element, they are illegal. I'm not sure what point you are trying to make there.

i have to agree here. if drugs were legal they would be clean. go to amsterdam and i can assure you they dont have any of the health problems associated with soap bar cannabis usage like we do here, and i also doubt they have many people poisoned from picking the wrong shrooms.

im guessing you mean being associated with criminals and the black market when you said 'the criminal element'. this again is a direct result of prohibitation and nothing else.
  • Options
    i have to agree here. if drugs were legal they would be clean. go to amsterdam and i can assure you they dont have any of the health problems associated with soap bar cannabis usage like we do here, and i also doubt they have many people poisoned from picking the wrong shrooms.

im guessing you mean being associated with criminals and the black market when you said 'the criminal element'. this again is a direct result of prohibitation and nothing else.

The Dutch approach is better than ours, although thats not saying a great deal.

To be honest their work with hard drugs is more effective as a public health issue than their decriminalisation of cannabis.

Plus of course there are other issues which come into play such as poverty and social housing - both of which the Dutch are a lot better at dealing with than us.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »

The point I am trying to make is that per se all illegal drugs are more dangerous than alcohol, but if they were legal (properly regulated of course), it would be a different story.
  • Options
    it annoys me that alcohol is not recognised as a drug!
    in my opinion one of the worst drugs so readily available "legally" for all!
    how many people die from alcohol related diseases?
    how many peoples lives have been ruined at the hand of drunken drivers?
    how many children and parents have been physically and mentally abused at the hand of an abusive partner?
    how many drunken nights out has resorted in a fight sometimes leading to pernanent damage or even murder to an innocent party... its not just the person drinking it physically and mentally damages ,but the people around them! its time we put alcohol up at the top of the listings of dangerous drugs and stop pussy footing around making excuses for it!
    the fact that its legal should not make it more acceptable but should be seen as a disgrace by our own government!... lets face it.. cigarettes and alchohol make our own government the biggest profit making drug dealers around!
    i believe had people not started getting cigarettes more easily duty free or on the black market that the government wouldnt have been so quick to put in the smoking ban! also cigerette users are taxed very heavily to support the national health so why be treat like leppers when needing help because of illnesses..(that the goverment dealers caused by pushing the drug in the first place) i saw my childhood ruined my mother beaten.. us beaten and abused through a drunken father! a whole family ruined and scarred for life because of alcohol! not to mention we'd live in poverty so he could afford his beer money!.. i firmly believe it has to be tops of the drugs and people should think carefully before defending it!
  • Options
    can i also add that when i look back over my life as an adult and think of the worst regrets and mistakes i have made i can usually add alcohol as a contributing factor to these mess ups!!... i've eventually learned my lesson but how i wished i'd learnt it earlier
  • Options
    aye im only startin to catch on myself :crazyeyes

never lifted my hand or said a nasty word full of e's coke speed or acid

alcohol on the other hand...
  • Options
    Do you think alcohol should be made illegal or should there simply be more regulations?
  • Options
    Do you think alcohol should be made illegal or should there simply be more regulations?

Making it illegal would be the worst idea, it would only make the problem worse, and as can be seen from the US example liver problems and violence are very likely to increase.

I would like to see a full ban on advertising, restrictions on BOGOF sale prices and a flat tax per unit of alcohol, regardless of how or where you buy it.
  • Options
    SPEAKEASYS

get ur moonshine out

blinded for a 10er

WE'LL SUPPLY THE POITION, TURLOUGHS ON BORDER PATROL
  • Options

No that would make the problem much worse. moonshine:crazyeyes . not good. :yuck: im not sure about changing regulations. maybe ban advertising. i dont know what sort of regulations could be changed or put in that would signifficantly help fight alchoholism.

PROHIBITATION OF ANY SUBSTANCE DOESNT WORK.

1.people will be involved with the black market to get there substance involving them with 'criminals' and 'dangerous' people (excuse me being steriotypical. you get what i mean).

2.substances will be cut/polluted so the dealers will make more money making the substance more dangerous.

3. people can be imprisoned for possession (sp?). families can lose individuals, who CHOOSE! to take drugs, to pointless laws.
  • Options
    Let's legalize everything and break it down to survival of the fittest.

Seriously, making alcohol illegal?

When are people going to realize that we're a nation of pissheads who revel in it?
  • Options
    Theres nothing wrong with alcohol and no way should anymore restrictions be put upon it.
    It's the people who are the problem.
  • Options
    Theres nothing wrong with alcohol and no way should anymore restrictions be put upon it.

your right however i was talking about alcohol addiction. i know there is a huge difference between alchoholics and people who just enjoy a few drinks now and again. i think alchoholism is probably one of the worst drug addictions out there. i am however very much a firm beleiver in freedom of choice and dont think any substance should be made illegal at all.
  • Options

There is certainly some truth in that, but I dont think that supermarkets selling alcohol as a loss leader really helps the situation.
  • Options
    tehfincheh wrote: »

When are people going to realize that we're a nation of pissheads who revel in it?

I think we all realise (isn't realize a bit American?) this already!
    I would like to see a full ban on advertising

I think this would cause people to regard alcohol as socially unacceptable, which isn't strictly necessary. Why are you in favour of this?

<restrictions on BOGOF sale prices>

Maybe, though not fair on those who do bother to take their time over their drinks.

<a flat tax per unit of alcohol, regardless of how or where you buy it.>

Definitely :yes: