Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going poo-free?

2»

Comments

• Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I havn't used anything except water to wash my hair for over 10 years, and I find it far better.
    Though it has to be said for most of the time I havn't really had much hair.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Amira wrote: »
    hold on i'm lost, how does this whole thing work? Do you just quit the shampoo totally or do you wean your hair off it?

I'm doing the 'curly girl' method, so I've gone cold turkey essentially. I'm expecting a rough transition period :lol: more here http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair
    so its seems a fruitless exercise to stop putting one product on your hair, but replace it with about 3 others instead?

It isn't really about the substitution or what has been stopped, it's about what benefits a certain hair type (mine is naturally wavy with some curls, so the products I add are to stop the frizz, and they don't contain things like silicones etc) I've also stopped using regular towels and switched to a microfibre one I had in the house and I no longer brush it, unless it's in the shower with my fingers.

To be honest, it was seeing this thread that made me want to give it a go

http://naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47609
  • Options
    I was watching one of those you dont' dress well enough to go in public shows and the stylist they took them to used a cleansing conditioner saying any shampoo is awful for any dye job and used a cleansing conditioner. I thought of the poo thread (is that sad? :p) I believe it was http://www.wenhaircare.co.uk/ if anybody is interested ;) Though I don't think it is that now because it was fig and the almond mint seems to be the only flavor they show. No no, I guess it was... and low and behold I found it on your site http://curlmart.com/Wen-Fig-Cleansing-Conditioner-p-597.html

The curly sounds fun. I have soaringsirun potentional but it always looks like a scary richard simmons in a light socket but I'm far too afraid to even attempt the poo free as I look like a greasemonkey after a day of no shampoo :( And a quick rinse of water on a too lazy to shower before work morning only accentuates the dirtyness. woe is me. What do you do after you work out and get super sweaty?

I think you've inspired me to try it actually now! Though I'm afraid, I have terribly dry scalp in winter and usually use t-gel every other day, if not every day so hopefully I won't be too itchy without.
  • Options
    Simba - we can try it together and do some respective hand-holding :D

I've read that a lot of women didn't have a rough transition period at all, I don't think I'm one of those women :lol:
  • Options
    so are there different methods? and how do i find out about them? I've been considering this for years but the whole "transition period" scares the hell out of me
  • Options
    How many days have you gone poo free so far, if you have started it? I'm about to do it. Eek :p Well not really, I guess today was the good scrubbing with the clairfying shampoo. Start tomorrow ;)
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    so are there different methods? and how do i find out about them? I've been considering this for years but the whole "transition period" scares the hell out of me

I started reading naturallycurly.com, they're quite big on hair typing there, so if you're hair is straight, it's a 1, 2 = wavy, 3 = curly etc although it can get a little more complicated, and the hair care is ever so slightly different for each one.
    How many days have you gone poo free so far, if you have started it?

Did a conditioner wash tonight, so I guess this is my first proper night :D My scalp doesn't feel greasy at all and looks/smells clean, the litmus test will be a few weeks down the line once I've got used to it.
  • Options
    Let us know how you get on. I've got wavy/curly hair that can border on the ridiculous if I wash it too much, so am dead interested in this.

I'm not surprised shampoo is shit for your hair, either. i started using head and shoulders for a while to strip out a bad dye job, and it GAVE me dandruff :yeees:
  • Options
    Ah nevermind I figured it out!
  • Options
    Hair oils are great, especially if you have dark hair.

But only use them if you have a good strong shower. If you don't have a proper shower with a strong flow, you won't be able to get all the oil out.
  • Options
    Go_away how are you finding going poo-free?

I am tempted to give it a go! I've got two books of amazon about going curly (bargin at £1 each!) and am considering converting!

Supposedly my hair is wavy so can still shampoo once a week but the rest of the time conditioner wash.
  • Options
    I had to re-clarify my hair as a cousin of mine cut my hair last weekend and sprayed something with non-soluble silicones all over it :grump:

It's by no means the greasy mess I thought it would be, but my hair is still lacking in a lot of moisture, so I think it'll take a while for it to look in tip top condition. It's loooovely not to have to faff around with a hairdryer and straighteners.

On the curling front, my hair is still a bit confused. It seems to be curly on the sides and wavy at the back.
  • Options
    Well I tried it today and my hair is going to definatly have to get used to being let loose to it's own devices! It's not used to all this curlyness!!

It was my first conditioner wash and it feels quite good, though I've read it can take about 3 weeks for my hair type to adapt :rolleyes:

Going for a hair cut and colour to make sure it still looks half decent.
  • Options
    Does it look greasy?
  • Options
    No actually I thought it would but it doesn't! I don't wash my hair everyday anyway, normally about 2/3 times a week, but I thought with just using conditioner it would make it greasy.
    It actually feels and looks better IMHO :)
  • Options
    piecesofme wrote: »
    No actually I thought it would but it doesn't! I don't wash my hair everyday anyway, normally about 2/3 times a week, but I thought with just using conditioner it would make it greasy.
    It actually feels and looks better IMHO :)

Have you washed using a clarifying (i.e. with the detergent but no silicones etc) shampoo first? It's quite an important step to do, the detergent ensures that any silicones that have built up are gone, giving you a clean slate to work with.

I had some clarifying shampoo at the back of my cupboard, but I've heard Asda's brand of Little Angels Conditioning Shampoo is good for that, and I'd imagine it's not too expensive being an own brand.

It can be a pain in the arse, but if you start out right from the word go, you're less likely to get build up from any residue that has been left.
  • Options
    No I didn't use a clarifying shampoo...I think I may have missed that step out :blush:

Lol I thought it was all too easy just conditioner washing!

I'll have a look in Asda see if thay have that shampoo, thanks :)
  • Options
    I don't know if I posted the link earlier on, but this helped me a lot.

What sort of conditioner are you using? I bought some more conditioner today in Superdrug: Inecto coconut oil conditioner, 500mls for £1.99 :)
  • Options
    For now it will just be conditioner I have left, is it okay to use any type of conditoner? I think I need to re-read the book...properly this time ;)
  • Options
    I made it just about a week. I just couldn't do it, my hair just felt so weighed down and icky and no matter how hard I scrubbed my head I just couldn't get it to feel clean! Though in the process I found some dead cheap really nice smelling conditioner (cuz I had to find something to fit the rules) Oh well, I'm a quitter :p
  • Options
    my hair is pretty much a straight frizz but its in such bad condition from colouring and straightenings....are you ladies saying that if i just condtion it and not wash it...it should get some moisture back?