Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going poo-free?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As in shampoo :p

Anyone done it? My hair hasn't been in great condition for a while, it has a natural wave and curl to it, like this

story.jpg

But I have always straightened it, and now it's not in a great way (think handfuls coming out in the shower). I'm thinking of letting it go au natural, put the GHDs away until they start gathering a good layer of dust and washing only using a mild conditioner to clean, and a more intense conditioner to condition.

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I often wonder about this myself, but the main thing I need to do (as advised by friends who have beautiful hair) but keep putting off - is using oil in my hair before washing. I've heard coconut oil is really good - and even olive oil is good apparently.
  • Options
    Haha I had NO idea what was going to be in this thread!

To save on straightening mine I plait it when its wet and just let it dry like that though the day. It doesn't go frizzy (my hair is massive if it's not blowdried or straightened) and it goes nice and wavey. You can plait it loosely and get nice waves. I have a fringe so I still straighten that. It saves hours in the morning too :)
  • Options
    I :love: coconut oil, 99p in superdrug for a big tub. Have you heard of Naked? I looked in 3 different Boots stores yesterday and couldn't find them :grump: but I like the sound of it.

Can you do that overnight Kangoo? I can't really wear plaits during the day unless it's the weekend.
  • Options
    They've got the Naked stuff in the big Boots in Cardiff (which probably doesn't help you, sorry!) But some of their stuff is really good. I love the Naked Rescue Intensive Repair and Renew hair treatment conditioner sachets and the Sugar Maple face mask, but didn't like the Sea Minerals body scrub stuff at all. It worked OK, but didn't smell too nice and went a bit manky after a while.

Does putting coconut oil on your hair before washing it not make it greasy/hard to wash then?
  • Options
    Is the intense rescue repair the one that comes in a jar/tub? I think that's the one I want to get. I'm going to try Boots on Tottenham Court Road and Oxford St today after the gym, and if they don't stock it, there's no hope and I'll have to order it online ;)
    Does putting coconut oil on your hair before washing it not make it greasy/hard to wash then?

That's what I thought, I've heard of washing with shampoo before hair is wet, but I don't know if that's if someone has really dirty/greasy hair after travelling or something.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »

Can you do that overnight Kangoo? I can't really wear plaits during the day unless it's the weekend.

I guess, although I can't sleep with plaits in and my hair is usually greasy even after one night. But what you could do is wash your hair in the evening and then wait for it to dry before you go to bed because it's usually still wavy the next day

Why can't you wear plaits in the day? Not even one plait? That would work
  • Options
    Yeah, it does come in a big tub as well. I've only ever tried the sachets which I've found to be really good but I presume it's all the same stuff (although the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle in a bottle never seems as good as the sachets! Or is that just me? :chin: )
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    Yeah, it does come in a big tub as well. I've only ever tried the sachets which I've found to be really good but I presume it's all the same stuff (although the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle in a bottle never seems as good as the sachets! Or is that just me? :chin: )

No I've found that too!
  • Options
    Why can't you wear plaits in the day?

I would be sent home for not looking the part :rolleyes: I can do plaits if there are two of them, but I have never been able to do just the one.
  • Options
    Lee Stafford big pink tub. It's amazing. Also try the Trevor Sorbie Repair & Protect shampoo/conditioner.

Although, yeh, you're gonna have to stop straightening it for a while. My hair did that (I ended up with a mullet from all the hair that broke off) and I had to have it all cut off :(.
  • Options
    what do you do with the oil? just sort of drizzle it on your hair while its dry before you get in the shower to wash it? i have greasy hair problems so i think that'd make it worse :/

iv been thinking along the same lines, my hair is in such bad condition :| but i hate my hair if its not straightened, i need to find a different style. my boyfriend hasnt washed his hair for a year (!!) after about six weeks it started washing itself and it doesnt look greasy at all. every now and then he blasts it under the power shower so it gets a little clean.
  • Options
    Have you heard of Naked? I looked in 3 different Boots stores yesterday and couldn't find them :grump: but I like the sound of it.

I used it because I've got really sensitive skin and it doesnt have nasty chemicals in it. My advice, stock up when Boots have it on sale, they quite often do a BOGOF on it, then its actually quite cheap.
  • Options
    i go through periods of time of only washing my hair with water and not using anything else. and the result is lovely, but since it's now in better condition, i used aussie shampoo and conditioners and i'm getting on well with it...but when my hair gets really long again i migth have to do it....
  • Options
    I'm going to try Boots on Tottenham Court Road and Oxford St today after the gym, and if they don't stock it, there's no hope and I'll have to order it online ;)

What gym do you go to? It sounds really near my one? You can pm your answer if you prefer or just ignore me if you don't like saying this sort of thing online!!! It would be really weird if you were at the same one as me and we work out together unknowingly!!
  • Options
    I've been trying for years to go shampoo free, but dont get past a week :(

Also try to find an indian oil called vatika, its esentially coconut oil but also has lemon, amlika and henna in it and the results are amazing. Use it once/twice a week for a while and you'll notice the difference. Although i get the distinct feeling you'd have to go to an indian supermarket to find it, you may be lucky and find it in green valley supermarket off edgware rd though.

I use the oil by pouring some in a bowl (its better to use it as a liquid so you dont use as much) and smoothing through my hair and massaging into my scalp, then leave on for a minimum of 45mins
  • Options
    why is it undesirable to use shampoo?
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    I've been trying for years to go shampoo free, but dont get past a week :(

Also try to find an indian oil called vatika, its esentially coconut oil but also has lemon, amlika and henna in it and the results are amazing. Use it once/twice a week for a while and you'll notice the difference. Although i get the distinct feeling you'd have to go to an indian supermarket to find it, you may be lucky and find it in green valley supermarket off edgware rd though.

I use the oil by pouring some in a bowl (its better to use it as a liquid so you dont use as much) and smoothing through my hair and massaging into my scalp, then leave on for a minimum of 45mins

this?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    yes thats the one! Its amazing! :heart:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    What gym do you go to? It sounds really near my one? You can pm your answer if you prefer or just ignore me if you don't like saying this sort of thing online!!! It would be really weird if you were at the same one as me and we work out together unknowingly!!

Nah, I'm fine publicly outing myself ;) I go to ULU gym. I tend to wear an all black get up, usually wearing my glasses so I look like a big geek. I'm sure that narrows it down :p
  • Options
    Nah, I'm fine publicly outing myself ;) I go to ULU gym. I tend to wear an all black get up, usually wearing my glasses so I look like a big geek. I'm sure that narrows it down :p

After I posted I remembered that, I'm so forgetful :) I used to go there when I was a student at UCL (or at least I was a member of there which is subtley different, lol). I go to the Central YMCA now which I love. If you ever need a change of gym I'd definately recommend that one.
  • Options
    Do you mind me asking how much you pay monthly? PM me if you don't want to say here, I'm looking at the webpage now, it looks quite good
  • Options
    Will pm you xx
  • Options
    I'm going poo-free today because I got up late for work. Haven't washed my hair since Wed and it's looking a proper state! Especially my fringe :yuck:
  • Options
    I looked for that coconut oil in Superdrug and Boots yesterday but couldn't find it anywhere :( I really want to give it a go, the ends of my hair are so dry at the moment. I bought some VO5 Hot Oil treatment instead so that'll do for the time being.
  • Options
    This is my third day into it. I'll be doing my first conditioner-wash today :nervous: I used a clarifying shampoo on Tuesday (with sodium laurel sulphate) to rid any residue that silicones etc.

For any curly/wavy haired people, I used Boots pink curl creme, it's £1.29 for a tub and works a treat. I definitely have some loose ringlets and 's' shaped curls.

I'm still not quite sure what to make of all this, if it goes horribly wrong I'll be back on the GHDs :D
  • Options
    I've been wanting to try conditioner only washing for a while but I have greasy hair and was worried it wouldn't help that.
  • Options
    hold on i'm lost, how does this whole thing work? Do you just quit the shampoo totally or do you wean your hair off it?
  • Options
    whats the point of giving up shampoo?

dont see what possible plus there could be to it?

why cant u just wash it, but not straighten it for a while?

man i'm confused haha
  • Options
    shampoos leave residues and weigh the hair down, i think the idea of not washing it means after a certain amount of time it strips itself of dirt, oil etc
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    shampoos leave residues and weigh the hair down, i think the idea of not washing it means after a certain amount of time it strips itself of dirt, oil etc

i get that part, but surely half the other gunk (conditioners, frizz treatments, curl creme etc) they're putting in their hair does that same though?

so its seems a fruitless exercise to stop putting one product on your hair, but replace it with about 3 others instead?