Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

What happens if my landlord goes to prison...?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So we've been getting lots of scary baliffs letters at our address for our landlord. That was all fine, he was picking them up and taking them away. No baliffs showed up so it was all good.

Then I noticed that he's registered to vote at our address, I know this is illegal and when I replied with our voting slip thingy, I did change it but he's still showing up on it.

Now this morning we received a very scary letter addressed to him from HM Crown Court in London. My flatmate who is rather up to date with these sorts of things says it looks like something to do with fraud and would probably involve a prison sentence. Not sure how much of this I believe or whatever, but if our landlord is done for something financial/fraud etc. What happens to us?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So we've been getting lots of scary baliffs letters at our address for our landlord. That was all fine, he was picking them up and taking them away. No baliffs showed up so it was all good.

Then I noticed that he's registered to vote at our address, I know this is illegal and when I replied with our voting slip thingy, I did change it but he's still showing up on it.

Now this morning we received a very scary letter addressed to him from HM Crown Court in London. My flatmate who is rather up to date with these sorts of things says it looks like something to do with fraud and would probably involve a prison sentence. Not sure how much of this I believe or whatever, but if our landlord is done for something financial/fraud etc. What happens to us?

Seems like you've had a lot of trouble with this bloke... Why are you still living there?!
    Not sure how much of this I believe or whatever, but if our landlord is done for something financial/fraud etc. What happens to us?

You don't have to pay him rent, not until he rolls a double at least
    Oooh nice.
    Oooh nice.

I think it may be a monpoly reference.

Also how can you tell from a letter addressed to someone why they're being asked to attend court - they don't put those details on the outside. You'd have to open it (which is illegal afik) to find out why he's being called.
    You'd have to open it (which is illegal afik) to find out why he's being called.

It most definitely is illegal, I should know I was a post man in my distant past.
    Oh, we didn't open it. But it looks scary and we've been getting lots of letters from collection agencies, courts etc for him... it's looking somewhat dodgy. That's all.