Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Healthy cake!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    kangoo wrote: »

As you can see the sugar content is greatly reduced (by 3/4), but the cake is still sweet because the bananas were super ripe and the fruit puree. I'm happy with it, and a piece disappeared last night so it must be ok!

You might have reduced the table sugar, but what do you think is responsible for the sweetness of the bananas? Sugar, nothing more, nothing less.

If you use less scoops of table sugar, but put more fruit in so it's just as sweet you just added the same amount of sugar which is in the fruits (ofc you get a whole lot of other healthy stuff out of the fruits, even tho I'm not sure the vitamins survive the heat of the baking), just so you know.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    You might have reduced the table sugar, but what do you think is responsible for the sweetness of the bananas? Sugar, nothing more, nothing less.

If you use less scoops of table sugar, but put more fruit in so it's just as sweet you just added the same amount of sugar which is in the fruits (ofc you get a whole lot of other healthy stuff out of the fruits, even tho I'm not sure the vitamins survive the heat of the baking), just so you know.

Bollocks, it's not the same at all. I cut down 150g of sugar and replaced it with approx 2 normal size bananas and about 3 tbsp of fruit puree

150g of sugar is approx 625 calories

A banana is approx 90 calories x2 = 180, plus whatever the fruit puree was which I'm SURE wasn't 445 calories.

I'm no expert on the different types of sugar but anyone can see that replacing 150g of sugar with fruit is much better.
  • Options
    oh, i just saw that you said "It's still sweet", not "is still AS sweet", but like I said, the only sweet part about the banana is sugar (regardless of type). So if you want 'healthy' cake, just use less. Bananas aren't going to make the cake magically super sweet.

but anyway, if it was good, all's fine.
  • Options
    oh, i just saw that you said "It's still sweet", not "is still AS sweet", but like I said, the only sweet part about the banana is sugar (regardless of type). So if you want 'healthy' cake, just use less. Bananas aren't going to make the cake magically super sweet.

but anyway, if it was good, all's fine.

It tastes just as sweet as a normal cake, just a different texture and taste of bananas. You could add less sugar but you'd lose the sweetness. I still can't see why you don't get that replacing 150g of sugar with 2 bananas is much healthier :confused:
  • Options
    A banana has approx. 39g carbohydrates. 2,5g starch and 35,5g sugar, this includes skin and flesh. the flesh only has, according to different sources inbetween 17 and 24g sugar (disregarding the starch)

If you use 150g less table sugar and add 2 bananas (34 - 48g Sugar), you use around 100g less sugar for your cake.

I know this discussion is pointless as hell, but I'm really OCD about such stuff: Sugar is the only thing that tastes sweet in your cake (if you didn't use artificial sweeteners). If you add 100g less sugar it's less sweet and more "healthy" (as in less salt for your soup, is less salty soup). If it's JUST AS SWEET for you, I'm really happy, because you have a cake as sweet for less sugar which is MORE HEALTH, hooray. (of course you have other healthy stuff in bananas, like magnesium, potassium, vitamins, etc.)

You should just know, that adding bananas doesn't make the cake miraculous sweet, because of magic fairies. If you didn't add the bananas but used 100g less table sugar (disregarding the puree) the sweetness would be the same, and the only thing 'unhealthier' would be the missing dietary minerals, vitamins and fibers)

Just wanted to bring the point across. It's the same with people who drink nothing but smoothies, because "there are like 15 kilo pure fruit in it and it's sooo healthy." A smoothie has so ridiculous amounts of sugar in it (not added! because of the fruits), that every dentist cries himself to sleep at night.

If you are already pissed off, I would recommend to just stop this, because I can go on and on and on.
  • Options
    I'm really don't get what your point is?

If I just omitted 100g sugar the cake would taste nasty. I've reduced sugar in muffins before without adding anything else and it didn't taste very nice. However I can add 2 bananas and not compromise on the sweet taste.

I know that banana's don't make the cake 'magically' sweet - where have I ever said this?! But by your own calculations:
    If you use 150g less table sugar and add 2 bananas (34 - 48g Sugar), you use around 100g less sugar for your cake.

I've used 100g less sugar without compromising on the sweetness of the cake! How is that not healthier?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I get what you're saying, that simply reducing 100g of sugar should produce the same sweetness as reducing 150g and adding 2 bananas but the fact is it doesn't. I don't know why it works so well with bananas *shrug*. Maybe it's something to do with the flavour.
  • Options
    I made some healthy, wholemeal blueberry muffins the other day and they were fucking awful :yuck:

So i made my entirely unhealthy 'use up what's going off in the cupboard' cake with a crunchy nut and Demerara topping, which is quite tasty :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I made some healthy, wholemeal blueberry muffins the other day and they were fucking awful :yuck:

Haha how were they healthy and why were they awful?
  • Options
    For a 12oz (mixture) to make 12 muffins there was only 3 fl oz of oil and 3 tbsp of sugar. They tasted like brown rolls with bluberries in :(
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    For a 12oz (mixture) to make 12 muffins there was only 3 fl oz of oil and 3 tbsp of sugar. They tasted like brown rolls with bluberries in :(

Haha

You need bananas my friend! :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm not keen on bananas. They're alright in custard though :)
  • Options
    I like bananas, and love cold custard out of the carton :yum:

But really dont like bananas and custard together!
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I like bananas, and love cold custard out of the carton :yum:

But really dont like bananas and custard together!

Now I like them together but not on there own...how random! :eek2:
  • Options
    Great thread---too often desserts are ingnored in healthy eating plans and we all love desserts. They can be delish without being unhealthy if you make them yourself from fresh unprocessed ingredients. You can use honey, maple syrup or molasses as sweetners instead of sugar. When you build a dessert around fresh seasonal fruits it can be very nutritious. There are some more healthy dessert ideas on this page: http://www.your-healthy-eating-helper.com/dessert-recipes.html