Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

criminal records, when are they deleted?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,
Can anyone help me with this question, i'm really worried about it.

I am interested in applying for the postgrad in primary teaching in September 2009.

I was convicted for 'Drunk and disorderly' in 1996 (12 years ago) when I was 18 years of age (stupid) and bond over for a year.

Is this conviction going stop me from gaining a place on the course?

I have to get an advanced criminal records check. I know the conviction is spent but will it still show up on the criminal records report.

If you can provide me with any information, I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm pretty sure they only last 5 years
    I would of thought they stayed with you for life? Well, the bigger convictions anyway.

But then again i know nothing about this sorta thing.
    They stay on your record for life but they are considered spent after so long. But with an enhanced CRB pretty much everything shows up including cautions and spent convictions. You will still probably be able to teach as you don't need a perfect record but you should disclose it if they ask I think.
    Hi thanks for your replies, I was thinking of saying nothing about it when asked, but maybe i'm better to just tell them in the first place. I haven't been in trouble since and it was 12 years ago now so fingers crossed
    From the CRB website

If the sentence is more that 2.5 years in prison the conviction never becomes ‘spent’. It is the sentence imposed by the courts that counts, even if it is a suspended sentence, not the time actually spent in prison.

Once a conviction is ‘spent’, the convicted person does not have to reveal it or admit its existence in most circumstances. However, there are some exceptions relating to employment and these are listed in the Exceptions order to the ROA. The two main exceptions relate to working with children or working with the elderly or sick people. If a person wants to apply for a position that involves working with children or working with the elderly or sick people they are required to reveal all convictions, both spent and unspent.
    Donb't keep quiet- put it on the form. It will show up on an enhanced CRB and if they see it after you've declared 'nothing to declare' it will look a LOT worse than if you'd just put it down in the first place, AFAIK.