Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

prozac/ecstacy

hi

well, first of all, im not sure if this should go in the drugs forum or health forum so no complaints please :p

basically, im on prozac and have been for errrrr, about half a year or so now. not sure of the exact length of time. anyway, i want to get off them QUICK. i went to my doctor a few weeks ago and she advised me to take half of my normal dose every other day. now, because of the dose im on, its going to take months and months to actually get off them this way and i want to get off them quickly without all the horrible side effects.

when i was off them for a few days last time, i got really poorly and i dont want that to happen again so what is the best way of me getting off them? by halfing my dose and taking that for a few weeks then going cold turkey?

reason why i want to get off them so much is because on friday that, i took 2 ecstacy pills and they didn't have an effect on me whatsoever. this was the first time i took some too and i know you are only supposed to start with one half but i got annoyed. they wern't shit pills as everyone else who had some from same batch had an awesome time. it pissed me off that the stupid pills im on prevented me from sharing the fun they had.

im no longer depressed. even my boyfriend is wondering why im on them so i want to get off them quickly. im better now.

how long do withdrawal symptoms of ad's last and how long do they have to be out of your body before ecstacy pills will work?

thanks.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

im no longer depressed. even my boyfriend is wondering why im on them so i want to get off them quickly. im better now.

You sure this isn't something to do with the prozac?
  • Options
    Half life 1-3 days (acute); 4-6 days (chronic); Active metabolite Norfluoxetine 4-16 days (acute and chronic)
  • Options
    Half life 1-3 days (acute); 4-6 days (chronic); Active metabolite Norfluoxetine 4-16 days (acute and chronic)

what do all that mean?
  • Options
    It doesn't really matter what the half life of the drug is... the side effects from withdrawal can take months to reside. The best thing to do is keep (very gradually) halving the dose as your doc says... and *not* take ecstasy!

Seriously.. if you required anti-depressants originally, it means there was a dysfunction with the neurons and receptors in your brain that produce and detect serotonin... ecstasy can only make this worse. If you quit the prozac then later take ecstasy, yes it will work but you run the risk of your symptoms returning in force afterwards, which really isn't worth just a few messy nights.
  • Options
    the reason for my depression has gone away. its got nothing to do with things in my brain. i don't even care anymore anyway, im sick of being the boring one. i want to take something that will make me feel overly happy and cut me off from everything and when people rave on about how bloody good it makes them feel, i just want to have some of that too.

my boyfriend wants me to come off the prozac anyway. i just want a quick way of getting off it as i dont want him thinking im a weirdo.
  • Options
    It doesn't really matter what the half life of the drug is... the side effects from withdrawal can take months to reside.

It does, because the reason it's not working because the fluxotine and its metabolites are hogging all the receptors.
    The best thing to do is keep (very gradually) halving the dose as your doc says... and *not* take ecstasy!

Seriously.. if you required anti-depressants originally, it means there was a dysfunction with the neurons and receptors in your brain that produce and detect serotonin... ecstasy can only make this worse. If you quit the prozac then later take ecstasy, yes it will work but you run the risk of your symptoms returning in force afterwards, which really isn't worth just a few messy nights.

I have a better solution; after you've come off the prozac save a few pills. If you take MDMA and prozac at the same time you get a long lasting protective effect for your neurons.
  • Options
    Don't take ecstacy on prozac.
  • Options
    i know that now. i knew that anyway but i thought id at least give it a try and thought if i took more, id feel something but obviously not. im not clued up on these sort of things. its not me really. i just want to feel something so just thought id give it a try. these bloody prozac pills make me feel so numb. i constantly feel ok which is alright but i want to feel happiness and excitement again. if im ever on my own, i just sit and look out into space because i feel nothing. im just sick of it. i want to be me again.
  • Options

my boyfriend wants me to come off the prozac anyway.

At possible detriment to your mental health? Is he a doctor?
  • Options
    It does, because the reason it's not working because the fluxotine and its metabolites are hogging all the receptors.

Yeah the mdma is gonna work better after all the prozac is eliminated, but i presume it does take much longer before the longer term changes in receptor distribution will revert back to normal and full effects will be felt.

Has the neuroprotective effect been shown in humans as well as rats? The doses used on the rats were pretty high imho, would be good to compare the results of a typical human dose of both.

Anyway, what isn't needed is a pharmacological discussion, lol.

OP, how come your bf wants you to come off them? I don't think there is a quick way - the quicker you do it the more likely u are to get the side effects like brain zap feelings. Good luck!
  • Options
    i want to take something that will make me feel overly happy and cut me off from everything

If you want to do ecstasy to feel like that then you're obviously not ok

Coming off antidepressants can have horrible effects, you don't realise how cushioned you are when you're on them and then how vulnerable you are when you come off. Speeding up weaning yourself off just so you can take more drugs seems the stupidest thing I've ever heard. The doctor has recommended your dose for a reason. If you follow the doctor's advice you'll be off them in a few months, just be patient. It's not worth fucking around with your mental health just for a few nights out
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I think this may well get some further responses in the drugs forum so I'm going to move it there.
  • Options
    the reason for my depression has gone away. its got nothing to do with things in my brain. i don't even care anymore anyway, im sick of being the boring one. i want to take something that will make me feel overly happy and cut me off from everything and when people rave on about how bloody good it makes them feel, i just want to have some of that too.

my boyfriend wants me to come off the prozac anyway. i just want a quick way of getting off it as i dont want him thinking im a weirdo.

You are seen as boring because you dont use drugs? Change A) your attitude B) your friends, or better still C) Both.

Drug use is a completely personal choice and it has absolutely nothing to do with being interesting or boring.

Why does your boyfriend want you to come off prozac, and what does that have to do with MDMA?

If you are looking for escapism then MDMA is not a good idea.
  • Options

If there was a safe, quick way of coming off it, the doctor would have told it you. He isn't giving you the advice for his own health, I suggest you take his and ignore your boyfriend, who correct me if I'm wrong doesn't have an MD in medicine.
  • Options
    have to agree

this thread has wrong written all over it
  • Options
    I would surmise that you are not better at all, as you're simply looking for another 'solution' to make you happy.

Listen to the doctor. Not your boyfriend/friends.
  • Options
    I've not had time to read through all of the posts in this thread but from what I understand theres no real way to come off prozac quickly. Just stick to what the doctor said, otherwise you will seriously fuck yourself up. I know people on prozac who have woken up one day and decided to come off it, they just stopped taking it and were fine for a couple of days but then it just hits them and they can't cope with life and end up spending a week off work or whatever they do. Do not just stop taking it.
  • Options
    ive heard worse than just 'taking a week off work' after just stoppin with the stuff

dodgy game!
  • Options
    if you're on SSRIs, the ecstasy won't work

i learnt that when i was on lexapro (escitalopram) and took a white heart.. it had a massive effect on my friend who is like twice my weight (hes a big guy) but i got none of the effects whatsoever

it's also actually quite dangerous to mix anti-depressants with ecstasy, so be careful :cool:
  • Options
    Mixing SSRIs with MDMA is NOT a good idea - you can be told this many times but the fact is it's extremely dangerous. A friend of mine was on SSRIs and beta blockers, she had a lot of alcohol and MDMA, then ended up in A&E.

Wanting to take ecstasy is not a good reason to come off your medication. If you honestly feel you don't need it, why did you agree to start taking it in the first place? You seem to be trying to justify taking MDMA by saying you feel better now.

The simple fact is, MDMA is not a drug to be taken by people who are emotionally unstable. If you are prone to depression, it's probably not worth the ups and downs. You need to accept your limitations. That said, if you honestly think you can cope with MDMA once you're off SSRIs, then give it a go. But from experience with friends who've suffered from depression, MDMA only made things worse overall.
  • Options
    A bit of infoooooooooooormation!

Here's some advise... Prozac is the most commonly prescribed anti-depressant.. thus it's a "catch-all" prescription and if you are having issues with it then I would suggest you speak to your doctor about switching anti-depressants. Depression a cyclic (meaning that it will come and go throughout the lifespan) disorder and the drugs prescribed for it ARE for short term use only. They were never meant to be used over a period of years like they are being now. If you are still feeling the effects of depression, such as the "boringness", sense of un-arousal, lack of interest in activities (anhedonia), then you really should continue their use. All anti-depressants are different and they work on ALL neurotransmitter systems, even if they say they are SSRIs. That only means that they work MOSTLY on the seritonin system, but they also affect the GABA, norepenephrine and dopamine systems. Each anti-depressant is slightly different and will increase one or a pair of these neurotransmitters more or less depending on your prescription. There have been good reports about the effects of Lexapro and it's more generic counterparts. Some medications prescribed for depression are not actually "anti-depressants", but they are benzodiazapines (Zoloft) and are meant to treat Generalized anxiety disorder mostly as well as depression. If you find that you worry alot about little things, like whether you are "too boring" or anything that inhibits your functionality in life, there could be an undiagnosed anxiety disorder present. This is very common to have a comorbid diagnosis between depressive and anxiety disorders. Just DONT do MDMA with anti-depressants! This is not a good combination to be forcing into your body. Using MDMA can actually disrupt your seretonin and dopamine systems and cause your body to lessen production of these two neurotransmitters. And if you think taking more anti-depressants will make up for it, that is a mistake. Anti-depressants are NOT made of seretonin or dopomine. They will not replace these neurotransmitters for you, they simply keep the ones your own body makes from being taken back up (re-uptake inhibition) into your neurons. I think that if you feel this strongly that you need to get off Prozac because it makes you feel numb (which, in fact is a common complaint among those whom it is prescribed), then you really should speak to your doctor about switching your prescription to a different anti-depressant. The choice is yours, but you need to have the information from your medical professional, and if you have a diagnosis for depression you really should have been told to see a psychiatrist for therapy. This is how depression treatment is supposed to work, and the way it works most effectively. Medication will only treat the symptoms you feel and NOT the cause.