Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Uni & The Internet

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey, just been on the phone to the girlf lol, trying to get her onto the net at uni, she's been given a cable and no other info to get online, she's attending UEA and in victory house, was wondering if anyone can help?!?! She's got as far as the log in screen and it says to use "defult log in name and password" but she's havnt been given one?!?! But she is desperate to get online tonight so we can chat without the worry of a massive phone bill lol.

Comments

• Options
    Hey, just been on the phone to the girlf lol, trying to get her onto the net at uni, she's been given a cable and no other info to get online, she's attending UEA and in victory house, was wondering if anyone can help?!?! She's got as far as the log in screen and it says to use "defult log in name and password" but she's havnt been given one?!?! But she is desperate to get online tonight so we can chat without the worry of a massive phone bill lol.

Should jsut be the user name and password for her uni computer account
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    Should jsut be the user name and password for her uni computer account
    :yes:
  • Options
    wasnt given one!?!?!, Dont have a uni computer account, just registerd for a room and got in about 2 hours ago, and has just finished un packing.
  • Options
    Then she should have some patience.
  • Options
    well that was a helpfull comment! Thank you for your imput im sure it will be of great help! lol.
  • Options
    Well i've you've only got in there a few hours ago. Things won't kick off till monday :)
  • Options
    Yea I expect she will have to wait but she could always give computer services a ring and ask! For my university you get your details in the post before you start as you have to enroll online and its the same details for email / logins / library / enrollment but if she doesn't have any details she's probably just going to have to wait...
  • Options
    see now thats advice that helps! a comment like "Then she should have some patience." dosnt help! thanks for the answers after that tho, guess a 4 hour phone call for ONE night wont hurt. lol
  • Options
    see now thats advice that helps! a comment like "Then she should have some patience." dosnt help! thanks for the answers after that tho, guess a 4 hour phone call for ONE night wont hurt. lol
    All she'll have to do is go and talk to the IT people tomorrow. My uni works like ShyBoy's, so I just had to plug my cable in and put my login in, but I guess not everywhere does that.
  • Options
    well that was a helpfull comment! Thank you for your imput im sure it will be of great help! lol.

Sounds helpful enough to me, She needs a user/pass which she wont get until monday at the earliest.. being patient seems like the ideal suggestion :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Why not let the poor girl settle in and make friends with the people she lives with, instead of chatting to her the second she arrives at uni.

But what do I know :|
  • Options
    Be cruel to be kind, she'd be far better off knocking on neighbours doors then talking to you for 4 hours tonight.
  • Options
    I went to UEA - I am so jealous. Wish i was just unpacking for the first time. Mind you, the fact that I don't even know the hall of residence is a good indication that i've been gone long enough that I should be over all that!

In my day your user name was your student number but as someone else has said she will have to get the password from the IT people tomorrow. I don't think there's a way around that.

To be fair she's probably down the square by now, pissed out of her face and attempting to navigate the steps.
  • Options
    Yes, my halls login was my student number as well. Realistically though, there is a waiting list. Most of the people I knew (including myself) didn't get hooked up until the week after freshers' week despite the fact that we had the right equipment and we already paid upfront.
  • Options
    Why not let the poor girl settle in and make friends with the people she lives with, instead of chatting to her the second she arrives at uni.

But what do I know :|

I hadn't thought of this.

+1

I discovered if you don't hit it off with people on the first week they will group off into little friendship circles and you won't ever get invited out :mad: