Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Beating depression... In the gym!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, I have just signed up for a gym membership... I don't wanna come down with SAD this winter, as I am no longer a student and cannot afford to hide all day.

I joined the gym also to lose some weight... I am lost without targets and things to aim for.

I was just wondering if anybody has any experience of exercise on mental health.

I know that it has a positive impact.

Are there any particular exercises which are best?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I get SAD, not severe, but I do suffer slightly. It's horrible :(

I'm a member of a gym and have been for about 5 years now and I love it. I suffer alot from eating issues can get quite low, not drepressed just low, at times and the gym helps release all the endorphins (I thinks thats what they are :chin: ) that help to make me feel better.
    Spinning classes get me pumping and when I walk (or more likely crawl ;) ) out of the class I feel bloody knackered but so much better! I feel more energised and after my gym sessions I do feel happier. If I don't go the gym I feel it and my day is just generally crap :(
    I'm doing the same thing! I have no advice, but have some moral support!
    The gym is a great place to help cope with the winter but don't forget what I think is probably even more important, spending some time outdoors.

I live in Iceland and in January I do feel like it's dark 24/7, so it helps a lot to go out for a while and get some fresh air and take a moment to realise it's not AS dark and gloomy as my body feels it is.

In my experience it works best combining both, sweating properly at the gym for physical wellbeing and then try to hunt down the hours of daylight for your mind.
    I always find that any sort of exercise if good for the body and the brain. I don't manage to get to the gym or swimming much anymore, wish i did, used to relax my brain a lot. My problem is when your brain is whirring and won't slow down exercise if a great way of switching your negative energy into good energy.
    So nowadays i ride twice a day (horses) and go for a walk with the dog round the hills.
    a friend of mine swears by it. He means the more he powers himself out, the better he is, because there is little time/vigor for being gloomy. He makes bodybuilding kind of stuff etc. but I guess every form of draining excess energy has this effect.
    I find it really helps too. The hardest part, especially when feeling down is actually getting there. Sometimes even the getting out and getting there in the first place helps a bit. I find that the harder the workout the happier I feel. Usually weights have more of a happy effect than cardio does.

Good luck with it! Hope you are doing alright :)
    Exercise has really helped me to keep my mood in check and generally make me feel quite good. The great thing is it's building up a good evidence base for mild depression.

It's not so much a specific exercise that has more of an impact, I find the intensity does more for that. If I'm working really hard, I get a sense of achievement and then the delicious endorphins after that.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Living healthy and awaying you stress is the best way to combat depression.

You can't beat good food, good sleep and good excecise.
    Weekender Offender 
    go_away wrote: »
    The great thing is it's building up a good evidence base for mild depression.

What does that mean, go_away? I'm interested because I'm beginning to suspect I may have mild depression and having started swimming regularly, I find that always helps lift my mood a little.
    It just means there is more and more evidence suggesting exercise is of good benefit for mild depression, no papers to hand but I'll ask my GP tutor when I see him next week - some GPs even prescribe exercise. Obviously there's a spectrum of how severe it is, and that requires different treatments, but when it's on the milder end of the scale, it can definitely help.
    Yeah I'd be interested to read more about that, like I said swimming has definitely helped me feel better generally - I always feel quite happy and positive after a swim. It's the first time I've actually felt myself looking forward to exercise too which has to be a good thing.