Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Well Im officially hearing impaired!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Finally went to the DRs about 6 months ago about losing my hearing, was refered to the hospital and went today.

Had a hearing test and they said that there is severe hearing loss and that im to try a hearing aid in my left ear (the worst one). Before having one in my right ear in a few months.

I have proper mixed feelings about this, in one way im glad that it is now known what it is, but on the other hand i feel ashamed that I have to wear a hearing aid. This isnt a dig at anyone who wears one as there is nothing wrong with it and I have many deaf friends I think it is just coz I have struggled for so long.

Im sorry that this is soo jummbled i just needed to put something into words as all anyone else has said is bloody hell never as if its a bad thing. Even the Drs made a big issue over the fact that the hearing aids were ugly and people feel uncomfotable wearing them.

Does anyone have any experience of being told you are hard of hearing and having to get used to a hearing aid?

Thanks

AFA

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've no experience myself but our head of Government Fundraising is profoundly deaf and used to work at the head office of RNID, so if it's cool I'll ask him on Monday if he's got any advice about hearing aids, I expect he knows some people who may be able to provide some info and pass on their experience.

Sorry to hear how the doctor is making such a big deal over the hearing aid, I would have hoped that if he feels that way about it he'd have found some alternatives to help or at least been more encouraging.
    I think Monsenrat (sp) is partially deaf.

The hearing aids are different to how they used to be. I used to know someone whose hearing aid went around her ear. I think now you can get ones that go in your ear and they're tiny.
    Melian wrote: »
    I think Monsenrat (sp) is partially deaf.

The hearing aids are different to how they used to be. I used to know someone whose hearing aid went around her ear. I think now you can get ones that go in your ear and they're tiny.

yeah im having one that goes behind the ear as the tiny ones are not available on the nhs and im lookin at over 500 for one!

jim_v thats fine.
    I have proper mixed feelings about this, in one way im glad that it is now known what it is, but on the other hand i feel ashamed that I have to wear a hearing aid.
    AFA

It's pretty much the same feeling when you're told you need glasses or even braces for the first time
    I don't really know anything much about it, but one of the boys I used to work with at McDonalds had to wear one of the big hearing aids in his right ear and to be honest, until someone mentioned he had hearing difficulties, I never even noticed it was there.
    IT DOESN'T MATTER. WE'LL JUST ALL TYPE MUCH LOUDER FROM NOW ON. :p

If it bothers you, can you not just style your hair to hide it until you get used to it?
    Thats what the Dr said but I have just had my hair cut short the day before, so I will have to wait and see like.
    Im with Stupid your comment made me smile.

I did as about the inner ear ones and I was told at my hospital they are not available, and im not sure what type it is plastic or silicone as they just done the mold and said it will be ready in a few months!

I guess im just more shocked at the quickness of it all really.
    is it a progressive thing or will it just stay at it current state? because if it will get worse then maybe learning BSL (if you don´t know it already because you said you had deaf friends) might come in handy. and like everyone else has said, they aren´t as bad as they used to be. one of my tutors at college had a hearing aid in one ear and nobody knew until he showed it to us when we were having a lecture on biaural recording techniques.