Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Joining a Windows Domain Without a username/password

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, to cut this really big story short,

*Tech people only!*

Is there a way to join a windows Domain without any username/password? Or some sort of program to bypass it :)

I've got my macbook(Bootcamp vista) and I'm going to try join it to a domain at my school, but they won't let me due to the 'policy' of it not being a school laptop!

That will soon change when I give a purposal for students to be allowed to bring there laptops in and join the network :)

- But for now, any ideas? hacks?

Comments

• Options
    Can't do it, squire. :) They'll likely grant access based on your MAC address when the time comes :).
  • Options
    Okay, that's not going to happen for months. I've already pissed off our network manager by aparently 'hacking' and bypassing stuff *bullshit*

Anywho, the next stage would be cracking the password for the domain and username.

Or possibly the XP PRO Adminstrator account?

Because there must be a file located on the client with the information in right?

EDIT

Or even being able to take the mac address from a approved computer and transfur it to say... my computer!
  • Options
    Can't do it, squire.

:yes:

There are all levels of security for joining a domain, from the registration of the client through to domain policies so you won't get to any file shares etc ... what are you trying to do? Use the web?
  • Options
    To join a computer to a domain you have to use an account with domain admin rights on the domain you want to join. It's fairly fundamental otherwise you could fairly easily circumvent any security.
  • Options
    Note though that being in a domain and making use of its network are two distinct things.
  • Options
    Well, some background information for you all:

There's a internal school filter, then there' a secondary filter controlled by our local government thing.

Now by plugging in a computer that is not logged into the domain, by passes the filters and group polices therefore giving your internet, controlled by the local government.

He found out about this, because i've told a few teachers about it and they are loving it. If your doing art - You need google = Google images

Now for some reason, when I plugged in my macbook (boot-camped to vista) it connected, but came up as an unidentified network.

So I went to the guys to ask why and that I needed access to activate my office 2007 trial and he allowed it (But when I restarted the computer, the settings which allowed me access to the internet - Had vanished!)

This is where they are moaning and not allowing me (but that will change soon!)

So Yeah, I either crack a password and use a computer connected to the domain but log 'onto THIS computer' and uncheck the proxy settings in IE or connect to the domain.

EDITED for mist's response

How would I be able to plug back into the network and get access to the internet then?

I was also able to pick up the network printer which was fab too! :)

Clues and suggestions!
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    :yes:

There are all levels of security for joining a domain, from the registration of the client through to domain policies so you won't get to any file shares etc ... what are you trying to do? Use the web?

Is the nodding because I'm right or because I'm wrong?

It's years since I dabbled with any of this...
  • Options
    Three words; ARP Poison Routing.
  • Options
    Can't you just use a usb key and use one of the school computers?

I dunno, just sounds easier imo. But why are google images blocked?
  • Options
    I used to use a program called cain to hack user logins from networked computers. Couldn't you just copy a different login?
  • Options
    CoolMe wrote: »

How would I be able to plug back into the network and get access to the internet then?

Just plugging your computer in to the network physically gets you access to it. Whether or not you get an IP address is, of course, determined by the settings on the network servers. But if you know the default routes, DNS servers and gateways you could just assign yourself a static IP in the appropriate range and take the chance that it won't already be in use.

So then you will be on the network. You may or may not be able to DO anything depending on how its set up. For example internet access will likely have to go through the firewall, and that may not be configured to allow anonymous (non-domain authenticated users') traffic through. And, of course, using any network shares may well need a valid user and password.
  • Options
    That Cain program woooooooooh is talking about lets you do ARP poisoning.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Can't you just use a usb key and use one of the school computers?

I dunno, just sounds easier imo. But why are google images blocked?

Because they suck. :)

Bring what in on a USB?
    I used to use a program called cain to hack user logins from networked computers. Couldn't you just copy a different login?

I'm going to try get the password to log onto 'the workstation' not the domain

Then i'd be able to disable the proxy in IE :)

Also get some IP information!
    Mist wrote: »
    Just plugging your computer in to the network physically gets you access to it.

When I plugged in, in vista the network centre said that it was a unidentified network, and wouldn't let me get onto the network to see the other PC's, Printers or gain internet access.

So I went to the guys who did something using my mac address and in the corner it showed me connected to the server.address.here - So I was happy :)

But I did notice he enabled the proxy in my IE, so i've taken the address down and the port so I can disable it :)

-

What's these programs you speak of?
  • Options
    It's kind of an all-in-one hacking tool, does brute force and dictionary attacks on passwords plus some other networking tools.
  • Options
    PM me with a download link? :)
  • Options
    Protip: Be careful with Cain, when I was at university I got a bit ambitious and routed everyone's traffic through my shitty laptop, next day there were complaints about the internet 'going down'.
  • Options
    Oh I'm not sure I want to be re-routing things.

But I saw a PPT on google about it, showing me a groovy little diagram on what happens.

But what actually happens with re-routing the traffic through your/a laptop?

What would I achieve?

--

I found some live CD on google that you pop into the computer and boot from it and it 'finds' the password to logon to the computer so, I'm going to hunt down a PC with a cdrom drive! (which is rare, but there are some!)
  • Options
    Because whenever they log on something on the network, or on the internet the packets go through your computer. Cain automatically sniffs passwords for pretty much everything.
  • Options
    Wired or wireless network?
  • Options
    My school network is all wired, apart from a recent change in the PE Department, where they have introduced wireless for one of those linux laptops, so they can remote desktop to a windows PC to use a program.
    Because whenever they log on something on the network, or on the internet the packets go through your computer. Cain automatically sniffs passwords for pretty much everything.

Ahh, Brilliant! *evil face*

I'm sure a macbook pro can handle it :P
  • Options
    hey people ... i have a similar problem ...
    in my office there is some sort of power struggle regarding admin rights ...
    I managed to fly well under the radar after a few collegues of mine got their laptops recalled to be "processed" (aka shelved until the IT guys feel they "grounded" the person enough)

the problem is ... i had an admin account that i only used in emergencies ... and one came ... so i thought that the solution to a given problem would go through me establishing a network with another machine ... a thing i couldn't do while i was in the domain. .. so since i had the urgency i removed myself from the domain to join a workgroup ...

so obviously (by now) the problem is that i can't join the previous domain without a domain admin user doing it ...

is there a way to avoid the headache of going through the IT with my out of domain machine ...

It has the permissions and the MAC address is registered ... so ... shouldn't it be simpler? could i join (at home ) a dummy domain (same name) and jumpstart myself onto the domain?

Thanks for the help :banghead: :thumb:
  • Options
    Not really, no.