Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Size zero

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Here's a rant with interesting perspective on size zero.

What do you guys reckon?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmm.

I believe most people's problem with it is the pressure the gives those of use who are not blessed to be naturally skinny not that a small percentage of people are lucky enough to be that way.

For every model/actress etc who is genetically like that (Keira Knightly for example) there is another 10 young women fighting desperatly to get like that, in some cases yes with anorexia/bulimia etc which is more the problem.
  • Options
    I used to be a size 6 and people would say i was too skinny but that was just the way I was! I ate more then than now and I'm a size 10 now. My friend is a size 6 and very slim and the doctor told her she was too skinny even though she's healthy and eats lots! Her mum is very small too so its clearly just her natural shape! I think people should just mind their own business to be honest, everyone's so bothered about other people's bodies when actually does it have anything to do with them? Unless the person is putting themselves at risk of health problems (by being underweight or overweight) then I don't think it's anyone else's concern.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    kate- wrote: »
    Hmmm.

I believe most people's problem with it is the pressure the gives those of use who are not blessed to be naturally skinny not that a small percentage of people are lucky enough to be that way.

For every model/actress etc who is genetically like that (Keira Knightly for example) there is another 10 young women fighting desperatly to get like that, in some cases yes with anorexia/bulimia etc which is more the problem.

:yes: it's an interesting balance I reckon.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is there no such thing as a UK size 0?

Pedantry aside, I guess I agree in principle (being of the naturally scrawny persuasion), but I can't help but think that rant comes across as a thinly veiled excuse for gloating.

People come in all shapes and sizes, and other people are always going to have an opinion about the size you are. Deal with it.
  • Options
    I get alot of stick off family members and people at work, particularly one that is connected to my family because, i am a size 6. I get alot of stick because my family members have a friend, whos daughter has anorexia, and they compare her to me. It does get me down, when they make comments about my size, because i am happy with it, and i have been weighed by doctors and they say i'm fine. I wish people would mind their own business, and i know there going to have an opinion, but they should at least keep it to themselves. If your happy with your weight and size, and your healthy i don't see a problem with it.
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is there no such thing as a UK size 0?

Nope size 0 and 00 is an American thing. The lowest we have in the UK is a size 4!
  • Options
    To me she seems to be more about the name and number than anything. A size 0 was a size 2 a couple years ago, a 4 a few years before that and a 6 or 8 back in the 80's most likely. It is not the number on the tag that matters. I was a 12 in highschool and I doubt I couldn't suction my current self into those jeans. Yet I'm a 6 at the gap right now. Figure that one out. They aren't fooling anybody. Who knows, at 30 I could also be a size zero and rant about being judged by everybody :p

And here here to Olive!
  • Options
    I really wish that every1 would just leave every1 else alone
    wen it comes 2 size of people whether they r size 6 (which i am) or size 26 I thiknk that it should just b left alone.

The reason i am prob bein a bit more horrible about this 1 is because it is a subject that is kinda close 2 me and it is kinda the press and the magazines fault and other people like bullies that drive people 2 want to change the way they look

well dats wat i fink anyway
    soz about the rant
    :)
  • Options
    TBH I dont care. If someone wants to be a size zero good for them, if they want to be a 26, good for them.

Size is just a number.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    What is with the millions of old posts being brought up recently?
  • Options
    I didn't realise it was the old thread (I knew one had been posted about this a while ago) until you pointed it out JsT.
  • Options
    I used be size 10 to 12 im now 16 to 18 but a curvy one since had 2 kis 6+2yr old +i use eat alot crap when slim +now i cant +go gym 3x a wk eat sensibly etc my metabolisum changed alot +now to which i dnt get is get loads guys come up to me etc where i never did when 'slimmer'
  • Options
    personally i dont like size 0s it looks unhealthy to me