Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going out in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
This saturday me and my best girl are hitting the bright lights, big city, big smoke, painting it red, kicking up our heels etc....one problem though, we've not been out in London that much and so we don't know where to go, so can someone please recommend some places? Just a various array would be good. Plus, we don't want to go somewhere mega expensive if at all possible!

Ta
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Shoreditch/ Hoxton ?
  • Options
    Isn't Hoxton a bit expensive? I don't really go to the big clubs so I'm not sure about pricing and stuff but the West End (Leicester Square, Covent Garden) has loads but I think again it's pretty pricey.

Time Out is a good place to start.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    What kind of thing are you looking for?
  • Options
    Somewhere with a good atmosphere, not a total meat market....not a massive club with house or trance, more like somewhere with either dance (be it cheesy or regular) R&B, chart, indie, etc. Oh and if there's a Ryan/Seth from the OC lookalike who wants to dance with me/fall in love with me that'd be a bonus
  • Options
    star* wrote: »
    Somewhere with a good atmosphere, not a total meat market....not a massive club with house or trance, more like somewhere with either dance (be it cheesy or regular) R&B, chart, indie, etc. Oh and if there's a Ryan/Seth from the OC lookalike who wants to dance with me/fall in love with me that'd be a bonus

If you want a mix like that, then On Anon or Tiger Tiger around Piccadilly Circus should suit you down to the ground. Just get drunk-ish before you get there as they're roughly £8 a double, drinks-wise.

Not really my thing, but I've had a few drunken nights at both which are always a giggle.
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    If you want a mix like that, then On Anon or Tiger Tiger around Piccadilly Circus should suit you down to the ground. Just get drunk-ish before you get there as they're roughly £8 a double, drinks-wise.

Ooooh they sound good but just looked at the drinks menu, ouch. But I'm guessing it's gonna be like everywhere?
  • Options
    I've been out to london a few times now. I have no idea where i've been etc .. i've just follwed the people that know in my group :p

But anyway, yeah i think the drinks prices are gonna be expensive wherever you go. We went straight from work one night to some place that had a happy hour. Some decentish prices, nothing amazing but better then what you get AFTER the happy hour .. obviously.

Maybe look for places offering happy hours?

But what you get for the extra money is the awesome atmosphere and the people from all over the world. Me and my mate went on a wander and ended up drinking with some Germans and Colombians! Good times.
  • Options
    star* wrote: »
    Ooooh they sound good but just looked at the drinks menu, ouch. But I'm guessing it's gonna be like everywhere?

Anywhere that is a 'club' is going to be pricey. If you fancy On Anon or Tiger Tiger there is a Wetherspoons tucked away on Leicester Sq (3 minute walk from both) for some cheap pre-drinks.
  • Options
    For the music you like ... and cheap(ish) ... I'd go with one of 2 old school places ... Borderline (just off of charring x road) or Roadhouse! (covent garden)

*grin*
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »
    For the music you like ... and cheap(ish) ... I'd go with one of 2 old school places ... Borderline (just off of charring x road) or Roadhouse! (covent garden)

*grin*

Borderline is just indie music, isn't it? Was when I was there last - just a load of Gallagher/Ian Brown wannabeeeeees.
  • Options
    BritJamez wrote: »

*grin*

:yes: or, The Roxy - http://www.theroxy.co.uk/

The Metro club for indie stuff - although can get a bit too busy for my liking.

Koko in Camden - just take a look what's going on for the specific night you fancy.

I also find the 333 club on old street is quite good for unpretentious dancing and smallish. :)

Finally, strawberry moons is a fun cheesy show bar that might be worth checking out.

Let us know where you end up :)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote: »
    Koko in Camden - just take a look what's going on for the specific night you fancy.

The old Camden Palace, I had loads of fantastic nights there.

My suggestion is to look at what events are on, on the night you are going out. Most of the clubs right by Vaxhaul are good, I went to Jacks recently for a hardcore night and it was good.

SE1 is something to be seen too, if they have Pendragon on there on the right date you should definitely go. Having said that it has lost some of its scummy charm since being tarted up.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    The old Camden Palace, I had loads of fantastic nights there.

I like the way you say 'had' - not anymore fun nights out for us oldies. ;)
    I second SE1 - although it is a proper club as opposed to a good dingy night out.
  • Options
    I like the way you say 'had' - not anymore fun nights out for us oldies. ;)
    I second SE1 - although it is a proper club as opposed to a good dingy night out.

Well I said had because I havent been back since it changed hands. I was only recently out at a full on hardcore night which was fantastic, although I did permit myself the luxury of a cab all the way home because I didnt fancy the night bus.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    although I did permit myself the luxury of a cab all the way home because I didnt fancy the night bus.

Cool, funny how the journey home in London can make or break the night out.
  • Options

:heart: all of those
  • Options
    I'm another SeOne fan....wicked club, been to some awesome hardcore, trance and d'n'b nights there.
    Fabric has some cheesy/ r'n'b nights, just avoid weekends if you don't want a massive club playing d'n'b and techno. There are quite a few grimey and scummy clubs with some wicked hardcore, techno, drum n bass and hip hop nights (think Happy Jacks) which are usually cheaper.
    I've never been to Koko, but my friend raves about it.
  • Options
    SEOne for the win - best thing is it's usually open til morn so you don't have to battle with the nightbus, and on a Sunday morning there are always groups sat at the waiting for the tube to open.

I'm not too keen on Jacks, Club Colosseum in Vauxhall is pretty decent, er Camden Underworld is good if you want indie, rock and dance (more studenty and non-rave). Can't really think which other proper clubs I went to last year, ended up going to warehouse parties and outdoor shindigs coz the drinks are cheaper/you can bring your own!
  • Options
    Yeh SeOne is class. Went there last year for the Top 100 DJ awards. Love the underground feeling about it!
  • Options
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Yeh SeOne is class. Went there last year for the Top 100 DJ awards. Love the underground feeling about it!

Its no where near as 'underground' as it used to be, it was better when it was a car park during the day.
  • Options

I also find the 333 club on old street is quite good for unpretentious dancing and smallish. :)

Finally, strawberry moons is a fun cheesy show bar that might be worth checking out.

Let us know where you end up :)

All bar Koko are my local places. Door staff at the Roxy are really friendly, Metro is pretty fun but one of the bouncers is an utter DICK (ahem but that's a whole other story).

I like Roxy personally. Good deals on their cocktail jugs, £7 on Thursdays and loads of great shots. DJs tend to take requests as well.
  • Options
    Also if you fancy something a bit old school, unpretentious with a wicked sound system and a good atmosphere. Drinks are around £3.50 for a spirit/mixer, bottle of beer etc. Check out Corsica Studios in Elephant & Castle. Really hidden, really unpretentious wicked staff and a great range of nights.

www.corsicastudios.com
  • Options
    We went to Koko, it was a Button Down Disco, and a total mad one. Getting home was a nightmare, as were the hangovers.

Good times!
  • Options
    Someone will have to give me a tour of the night delights of london if i ever make it down for a drink sometime.
  • Options
    I would recommend Hoxton And strawberry moons... Though Hoxton is bit expensive but its really worth spending...
  • Options
    Koko is hit and miss. I've had some really good nights there and some really bad experiences too. It reminds me of the Scala a bit.

One of the best nights out I've had recently was at the Comedy Club in Leicester Square.
  • Options
    Old Street
  • Options
    Also if you fancy something a bit old school, unpretentious with a wicked sound system and a good atmosphere. Drinks are around £3.50 for a spirit/mixer, bottle of beer etc. Check out Corsica Studios in Elephant & Castle. Really hidden, really unpretentious wicked staff and a great range of nights.

www.corsicastudios.com

some really good music been going on there of late too...

I recommend Cargo (cargo-london.com), really enjoy the atmosphere there, nice looking club, drinks not extortionately priced. Depends what kinda music you're after... Think it's free to get in on fridays, and the food in the attached restaurant is pretty good too :)