Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Childhood depression

littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
*This thread was moved out from the support thread - just to explain how it starts * - Jim

I know that this thread is about people on the boards who are depressed and the like, but I find myself in a bizarre situation, that I would like some advice, if possible.

As some of you know, I am a teacher. I currently have a y5 class and I teach a boy who is autistic and epileptic. But today he showed signs of depression and I have never come across depression in children before. He told me lots of confidential stuff and ended up telling me that he wants to kill himself.

He had classic signs of depression.

I am trying to get in touch with mum but does anyone have any advice on how to help him. He is a really delicate child anyway, but I don't know where to find useful literature regarding depression in children. Or has anyone had any experience on dealing with it.

I realise this is a strange request, but am curious. Thanks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes i have heard, that depression can be found in children. There is more info on nhs direct and also netdoctor.co.uk that tells you alot more info about depression and depression in children.

Hope this helps.
    A good place to call is probably the Young minds Parents Information Service. They are there to speak to any adult who has concerns about children with mental health problems.

You can see more details here -
    http://www.youngminds.org.uk/parents/more-about-the-parents-information-service/what-is-the-parents-information-service

And the number is 0800 018 2138

I'm away of a growing interest in research into how early mental health problems can start. Those problems that are more 'organic' in nature (so caused by physical/chemical imbalances, etc) can affect people at pretty much any age, and obviously ADD, etc, is well documented in children more than in adults.

However, my understand is that it's much harder to look at issues around young children - as Young Minds point out, children often don't have the vocabulary that allows them to express how they feel in a way that would help diagnose something like depression.

So it's in a way a good sign that he's been able to get across how he feels and hopefully speaking with his Mum and looking into what's available will be able to help deal with that side of the issues he's facing.

The number above might also be really useful for his mother if she needs to speak to anyone about how he's been.

Oh and I hope you don't mind, I can see people actually wanting to maybe talk about this in more depth and it's probably best that the support thread doesn't go too far off track - so I'll use these posts to start a new thread.

Hope that's okay.
    Is this the sort of thing Childline/NSPCC can help you with?

Don't promise him that this is the sort of thing you can't tell someone - you will probably need to tell someone.

Do youknow if anyone else knows about this?
    I'm away of a growing interest in research into how early mental health problems can start. Those problems that are more 'organic' in nature (so caused by physical/chemical imbalances, etc) can affect people at pretty much any age, and obviously ADD, etc, is well documented in children more than in adults.

:yes:

Current research is on the verge of that with schizophrenia. My teachers are suggesting in 5-10 years it will be treated as an organic illness rather than a 'mental' one.
    Don't promise him that this is the sort of thing you can't tell someone - you will probably need to tell someone.

I agree. Somewhere along the line you will have to break confidentiality to prevent him from harming himself. I'm only just getting to grips with mental health services, but I should be getting teaching today, I'll ask one of my psych tutors about it in general terms.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I would never promise a child anything like that. I've found myself in compromising situations before with children so am well aware of risks. Working in a school with high child protection issues makes you aware of stuff like that.

The educational psychologist has been called and is coming out next week and I spoke to mum about some of my concerns but she seems to think that this is all normal behaviour. But speaking to colleagues who have known the child for a while disagree.

I feel a bit stuck between a wall and a hard place at the moment. Thanks for your replies. I may phone young minds just for advice for me!