Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

HPV vaccine and doctor's questions

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum is going to take my 14 year old sister to get the HPV vaccine soon. I know that my sister is having sex with her boyfriend; we've discussed it and they are using condoms etc., however my mum doesn't know that she is having sex.

My sister asked me today weather the doctor is likely to ask her whether or not she is sexually active in front of our mum, does anyone have any idea whether this is likely or not? It isn't a massive deal if it does come out, but obviously is going to be a bit awkward for my sister and I think it was just something she was concerned about.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, I didn't think the doctor would ask but I'm not certain myself.

Comments

• Options
    don't know if they will ask but can't she just go in without your mum?
  • Options
    The only thing I've been able to find out is that even if she is sexually active they'd vaccinate her anyway.

So it wouldn't be the end of the world if she lied....
  • Options
    i think its unlikely theyd bother asking in front of your mum as theyd be stupid to think theyd get an honest answer if it were true.
  • Options
    Thanks, I didn't think they would since it isn't relevant to whether they give her the vaccine or not. I guess I will just tell her it is up to her whether she wants to answer truthfully or not if the situation arises...
  • Options
    Isn't she getting it at school?
  • Options
    I think at the moment they are only giving it out to a couple of years below her. Whether they will do a catch up programme I'm not sure...
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    I think at the moment they are only giving it out to a couple of years below her. Whether they will do a catch up programme I'm not sure...

yeah they will, next year i think all girls up to the age of 18 get it - so i'm just missing out :(
  • Options
    yeah they will, next year i think all girls up to the age of 18 get it - so i'm just missing out

It is annoying isn't it? When I was looking round the net you can get it in other countries up until you're 26, but here they are not offering it to anyone over 18.
  • Options
    FireFly85 wrote: »
    It is annoying isn't it? When I was looking round the net you can get it in other countries up until you're 26, but here they are not offering it to anyone over 18.

I know, especially when i haven't been exposed to it yet either - so i would still benefit. But i would have to fork out about £400 to get it done privately. Maybe i'll beg my GP....