Home Travel & Free Time Creative
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Anyone is welcome to join. Sign up here
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Music Production

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I wanna get started on trying to play around with making my own tracks. I've done abit of research into the different production software out there and just wondered if anyone here makes there own music and what they would recommend to use.

Ta :)
«13

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Garage Band! :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Logic is by far the best software for producing music, but its not easy to pick up and you need a lot of external hardware and / or software to get going on it.

    Personally if I was you I would go for Reason 4. It's relatively easy to learn the basics and its kind of an all in one studio. (You don't need 3rd party applications or plug in's to get going on making tunes)

    Also I would invest in (if you don't already have) a decent sound card and speakers. If your just doing it for a bit of fun its not really that important, but using an integrated motherboard sound card isn't the best way to go.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Logic is by far the best software for producing music, but its not easy to pick up and you need a lot of external hardware and / or software to get going on it.

    Personally if I was you I would go for Reason 4. It's relatively easy to learn the basics and its kind of an all in one studio. (You don't need 3rd party applications or plug in's to get going on making tunes)

    Also I would invest in (if you don't already have) a decent sound card and speakers. If your just doing it for a bit of fun its not really that important, but using an integrated motherboard sound card isn't the best way to go.

    Yeah i've been playing around with the Reason demo, isn't too bad. Think i will go with that.

    I really wanna give it a good go, just need to get the hang of it all first.

    Cheers :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, got myself a copy of Reason 4.0. Actually isn't too bad to get to grips with. Just gonna take a LONG time until im ever happy with something. Good fun though!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The hubby started off with garage band but found it too limiting, so he bought logic studio. He also bought a tone port uxt (thats what he called it) which is a usb interface for things like mics i think. Apart from that he doesn't have anything else and he manages to record from his keyboard, mic and guitars with no issues.

    Will talk to you more about it on msn about it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A midi keyboard is a good investment and I find it helps a lot when putting stuff together.

    I use this one:

    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Oxygen49.html
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Reason 4 is a nice DAW (Digital audio workstation), if you continue with production the most important purchase you will ever make is good quality monitors, they will be the difference between a good sounding mixdown and a shit one (also helps to know how to master).

    Also look to get a decent soundcard, don't bother with something like a Sound Blaster, though they are good for gaming and listening to music and movies but for music production you want a card that is made specifically for music production. When your next in town go in to somewhere like WH Smiths and pick up a copy of "Computer Music" mag, it's about the only mag that is aimed at newcomers to music production, I've been reading it for years and still get enjoyment out of it. Plus you get like 7.4GB of samples, tips, free plugins, and you get some wicked video interviews to see how the pros work in their studios.

    www.dv247.com is a nice site to buy hardware and software from. Type back if you want any tips of using Reason.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Makoto wrote: »
    Reason 4 is a nice DAW (Digital audio workstation), if you continue with production the most important purchase you will ever make is good quality monitors, they will be the difference between a good sounding mixdown and a shit one (also helps to know how to master).

    Also look to get a decent soundcard, don't bother with something like a Sound Blaster, though they are good for gaming and listening to music and movies but for music production you want a card that is made specifically for music production. When your next in town go in to somewhere like WH Smiths and pick up a copy of "Computer Music" mag, it's about the only mag that is aimed at newcomers to music production, I've been reading it for years and still get enjoyment out of it. Plus you get like 7.4GB of samples, tips, free plugins, and you get some wicked video interviews to see how the pros work in their studios.

    www.dv247.com is a nice site to buy hardware and software from. Type back if you want any tips of using Reason.

    Yeah cheers dude, i'm at work at the mo and can't think of what i want to ask but there is quite a long list of things i wanna ask. Mainly basic things.

    One thing i will ask is where can i get good samples from? The ones that come with the package are pretty shite so would be good to have somewhere to get some new stuff.

    Would be aiming for techy, trancey, electroey type stuff :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I use FLStudio. Tried Reason, Cubase, Logic but I work best with FL. My advice would be to try a few demos of each and see which you get on best with.. I prefer FL as I can lay down beats a lot quicker than fiddling about on Cubase, but I produce D&B so I tend to do a fair bit of work arranging beats, chopping and etc. Doesn't matter what you use really, each one is capable of getting a professional sound it's just learning how to get there!

    Samples, for your sort of music I'd suggest the vengeance sample packs (http://www.vengeance-sound.de/eng/indexes/indexSampleCDs.html) as a starting point, but you can also do google searches for certain sounds/sample packs which are free.

    ETA: Be aware that Reason doesn't support VST's (softsynths like "subtractor" or the other ones I forget.. except these are usually made by third parties). Whereas you can probably get any sound you want out of the Reason synths I like to have a nice selection of synths or FX plugins. Good luck and have fun :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah i've looked into the Vengeance samples, will deffo get them.

    Just a matter of playing about really. I've youtube'd alot of Reason stuff and there's so much cheesy crap out there people make, dunno how they can be happy with it!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Haha yeah, you get it with Fruity too. I sometimes youtube 'Fruity Tutorials' to see if there's anything else I can learn and I get tons of results by pre-pubescent teenagers wanting to be the next Basshunter.

    Other advice I'd suggest (which you've probably already figured) is to join forums dedicated to music production. The amount of help you get is invaluable. I registered to serious-sounds.net when I used to produce Trance/Hard Trance.. unsure if it's still running but I learnt a LOT from there.

    But even so, if you chuck up any more questions I'll keep an eye out and help out if I can.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    for myself i use pro tools and logic. inuendo is ok, but very confusing. logic is great but only available on mac (version 5 and above), pro tools in confusing at first but near limitless, and requires hardware to use it. i know a few people swear by ableton, but i haven't really had a chance to get my mitts on it.

    I'm starting my commercial music degree, so if you want some more info give me a PM
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    for myself i use pro tools and logic. inuendo is ok, but very confusing. logic is great but only available on mac (version 5 and above), pro tools in confusing at first but near limitless, and requires hardware to use it. i know a few people swear by ableton, but i haven't really had a chance to get my mitts on it.

    I'm starting my commercial music degree, so if you want some more info give me a PM

    Wicked i had no idea you were into all this as well :)

    What kinda stuff you making?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Industrial! doing a little bit of techno occationaly. some other stuff, what ever takes my fancy
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Industrial! doing a little bit of techno occationaly. some other stuff, what ever takes my fancy

    Sweet, if you have any techno tracks complete that you wouldn't mind me listening to send em my way :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    for myself i use pro tools and logic. inuendo is ok, but very confusing. logic is great but only available on mac (version 5 and above), pro tools in confusing at first but near limitless, and requires hardware to use it. i know a few people swear by ableton, but i haven't really had a chance to get my mitts on it.

    I'm starting my commercial music degree, so if you want some more info give me a PM

    What version of Logic do you use?

    I'm using Logic Studio 8 at the moment (which I ReWire into Reason cos I like the ReDrum machine) but some people have said that 7 was better?

    Goodfella: If you wanna get more samples for Reason then you need to get some reason refills. If you google around enough a lot of places do free ones, or you could try torrents.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JamesZero wrote: »
    What version of Logic do you use?

    I'm using Logic Studio 8 at the moment (which I ReWire into Reason cos I like the ReDrum machine) but some people have said that 7 was better?

    Goodfella: If you wanna get more samples for Reason then you need to get some reason refills. If you google around enough a lot of places do free ones, or you could try torrents.

    So does that mean the Vengeance Sample CD's wouldn't work in Reason?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    GoodFella wrote: »
    So does that mean the Vengeance Sample CD's wouldn't work in Reason?

    Is it just a collection of WAV files?

    If so then yea you can use them in Reason. You could just load up a ReDrum machine and it will give you 10 slots to put WAV files in.

    There might be a better way but I never really looked into it.

    Generally tho I would look for Reason Refills as it will give you much more to play about with. Look out for bits by "Zero-G", they have done some really good Reason Refills for the sort of music your after.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you want some samples mate I can send you my entire sample bank I've collected over the years, there will probably be about 4-5+ DVDs worth..... including the entire Virus C soundbank. Most of my stuff is Junlge, Hardstyle & Old Skool House/Hardcore stuff.

    It's all kicks & perc, vocals, stabs, riffs, leads, pads, bass, etc. It's 90% one shots so you can build your own sounds instead of using ready made loops, though there are some loops.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Makoto wrote: »
    If you want some samples mate I can send you my entire sample bank I've collected over the years, there will probably be about 4-5+ DVDs worth..... including the entire Virus C soundbank. Most of my stuff is Junlge, Hardstyle & Old Skool House/Hardcore stuff.

    It's all kicks & perc, vocals, stabs, riffs, leads, pads, bass, etc. It's 90% one shots so you can build your own sounds instead of using ready made loops, though there are some loops.

    Sound. Give us a pm ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know its an oldish thread but thought no one would really care that much and its generally aimed at the people who know what im talking about :p and yes i know there are heaps of forums elsewhere i could ask this but i cant be arsed at the mo.

    Anyway so i've been working on Reason 4 for a good while now. I'm doing pretty well on it i say, slowly picking things up and getting some half decent sounds out of it. Its pretty cool just to play around and find sounds by accident by just messing about.

    But theres one technical aspect im having trouble with, its actually quite a basic aspect of a track but im having trouble getting it to sound right.

    I hate asking "how do you make this sound" as its always just best to play around until you get it but its quite a basic but important part i feel.

    Its the gradual build up atmosphere sound ... builds up and up and up, slowly getting louder and louder then BOOM or building up to a breakdown. I know how to make it gradually louder and louder, its just getting that right sound .. do you just use a single note playing continuously and add the reverb you want to it or is it even simpler then that?

    Heres a link to a track that has what i mean .. from the start to when it kicks in theres that build up sound .. thats what i mean ... http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iwh4ut20bVk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ok, thats got lots of layered tracks for starters, you'd need to use several different things, its also got some pitch modulation and some delay/reverb effects. sounds like there might be some mild glitching on the white noise effect.

    pitch modulation with some reverb stuff might be what your after, but in basic song writing terms you'll probs want to be doing something with layering tracks.

    its difficult to explain exactly how i'd do it without bring in lots of musical terminlogy, because i'm first and formost a muscian and think of programmed stuff like i would a song i was writing for a 4 piece band. and also cos i'm a logic user, i can't tell you what plug ins to use with reason.

    to the person that was talking about logic 7 being better than 8, thats utter bullshite, its different, and people need to jsut get used to the upgrade. the only people who truely don't like it are xenophobes!

    can't find my old techno stuff Gf, nor a lot of my old industrial stuff, but i'll send you the cover we did for our last module at uni
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Speak in music terms if you want, i think i'll understand what you're on about :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    While we're at it, what kinda midi inputs are you using? Do people think a keyboard is the way to go?

    I'd quite like some basic midi triggers more for beat generation... any suggestions? :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have done a bit of sampling in Soundforge but no production using sequencing software.

    I was brought up on keyboards and synthesisers. Have you not thought about getting a mid-range for about £400?

    I did have a Casio WK-3500 which allowed me to sample WAV files and bind it as a voice. Different key played different pitches of the same sound. It had a pretty comprehensive synthesiser, and allowed 6-track recording. The recordings could then be saved onto floppy disk or onto a Compact Flash card.

    I've sold that now and soon be going for a Yamaha S550. This has 8-track recording and allows creation of beats/accompaniments, so it will double up as a drum machine.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I have done a bit of sampling in Soundforge but no production using sequencing software.

    I was brought up on keyboards and synthesisers. Have you not thought about getting a mid-range for about £400?

    I did have a Casio WK-3500 which allowed me to sample WAV files and bind it as a voice. Different key played different pitches of the same sound. It had a pretty comprehensive synthesiser, and allowed 6-track recording. The recordings could then be saved onto floppy disk or onto a Compact Flash card.

    I've sold that now and soon be going for a Yamaha S550. This has 8-track recording and allows creation of beats/accompaniments, so it will double up as a drum machine.

    He is working with Reason at the moment, which doesnt really work too well with outside sorces like synthesisers. It does have a sampler in it, but I think at this stage it would probably be a bit fiddly.

    I will take a listen when I get home GF and see what I think... although by the sounds of it Twisted Trinity seems to have covered most of it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cheers :) Well that link is just an example, its not the exact sound i want but its just that general build up sound i'm after.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    theres a number of different techniques you could use, a very very slow portamento, some volume automation, using some swelling synths and mess around with the ADSR

    but i suggest that you experiment, because thats the only way you are gonna learn...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    theres a number of different techniques you could use, a very very slow portamento, some volume automation, using some swelling synths and mess around with the ADSR

    but i suggest that you experiment, because thats the only way you are gonna learn...

    Yeah totally, thats the best way. I just need a general point in the right direction for me to play with :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know learning yourself is the best way and all that, but sometimes I have found a bit of guidence really usefull... and you can always adapt it yourself...

    So here is what I would do for doing something along those lines using reason.

    Firstly add a Thor Synth to your rack. You wanna right click anywhere on the synth and click initilize. This will put you to the basic settings.

    Now click on the show programmer button...

    You will see that Ocsillator 1 is set to Analog Osc... click the drop down box and click noise.
    You can set the noise to which ever one suits the sound you wanna make (White is the standard but it had others like colour and static)

    Next you want to make sure the sound is sustained when you play the note. You will see on the synth a Filter Env and an Amp Env with ADSR and 4 faders above them, you need to set both of them as follows

    Attack: Fader at the bottom
    Decay: push it to the top
    Sustain: also to the top
    Release: put it to the bottom
    (If you wanna know more about what this is and why just ask..)

    You should now have a constant sound when any of the keys are hit.

    Now add an RV-7 Digital Reverb effect to the thor and set that up how you want it to sound. I wouldnt over do the reverb because things can get muddy and you can lose alot of the orginal sound.

    Next draw a note into the piano roll and we will do some automation.
    You cant do portamento on the noise ocsilator of thor because each key is the same pitch so instead you want to add a volume automation track and a pitch automation track to the work area.

    Set the pitch nice and low and the volume to nothing or nearly nothing, then raise them over time (say 4 or even 8 bars)

    That would be the very basics of getting that kind of sound. I would layer it with some atmospheric pads or other sounds as white noise on its own might sound a bit static (no pun intended)

    Also I would make about 3 or 4 copys of the sound we just did and layer them running different processing over each one... like one with a high pass or low pass filter, maybe one 100% wet on the reverb just to get a bit of airyness to it.

    Its well worth learning how to use Thor properly. Its incredibly powerful. I don't use reason anymore but I do like mucking around with Thor to make DnB basslines sometimes...

    hope this helps fella... if you get stuck just let me know..
Sign In or Register to comment.