Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Road accidents

C FunkC Funk Deactivated Posts: 163 Helping Hand
:wave: Howdy,

I'm working on a podcast for TheSite on minor road accidents.

Has anyone had an accident lately resulting in an insurance claim?

If you have I'd really like to have a quick chat with you and maybe feature you in our podcast. Drop me a PM or post your stories in this thread.

:thumb:

Muchas gracias

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a policeman drive into the back of me at the top of a motorway sliproad waiting at a roundabout >_<

Week later the car was collected to be fixed!
  • Options
    Interesting . . . I was going to ask people if the police got involved, but in this case they obviously did. What details did you take from each other?
  • Options
    They are called Road Collisions not Accidents as there is always someone to blame :p

I've had the police involved about an accident but nothing was done about insurance etc.
  • Options
    Someone drove into me and wrote off my car. Claimed on insurance. Have to take them to court to try to get some compensation. fuckers. I now drive a car that leaks so when I go around corners I get rained on, even if it hasn't rained for two days outside, it's a raining in my car!
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies!

Was their anything that you were unsure about when you had your first collision? i.e what info you needed from the other driver; whether to contact the police; when to speak to your insurance company.

Or was it pretty obvious what needed to be done?
  • Options
    The other driver had no idea, she just sat there with her head in her hands and car in the middle of a busy road like a div. I went and knocked on her window, asked if she was alright and told her we needed to try to move the cars and swap details. I then scrounged the phone of someone who lived nearby to phone insurance company.

Someone should have told me not to speak to their insurance company! I answered their ques when they called me the day after, told them I was fine with just a few bruises only to find myself whiplashed three days later when I was dxriving down a country lane in a hire car in the dark and suddenly unable to move my neck at all... but there you go.
  • Options
    C Funk wrote: »
    Thanks for your replys!

Was their anything that you were unsure about when you had your first collision? i.e what info you needed from the other driver; whether to contact the police; when to speak to your insurance company.

Or was it pretty obvious what needed to be done?

I had to ask at training the other weekend what exactly you are expected to give insurance details wise if you have a collision because I wouldn't have a clue.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I now drive a car that leaks so when I go around corners I get rained on, even if it hasn't rained for two days outside, it's a raining in my car!

Wahey, mine does that too!!!

*Sigh, i hate my car, it's like a brother to me, an annoying, embarrassing brother that you only have one emotion towards, one of hatred, and the only display of affection ever shown to it is a savage punch straight to the steering wheel in frustration brought about from traffic, the leaky roof or a number of other things - Although each time i give it a furious jab in frustration now, I'm half anticipating it getting it's revenge by spitting it's airbag out and breaking my nose.
  • Options
    Someone drove into the back of me at a roundabout about 6 weeks ago. I didn't know what to ask for, so I called my husband :) The other driver didn't have a clue what to give me as he was Dutch and hadn't lived here long. I didn't give him any details of mine, and he didn't ask for them. We claimed on his insurance, as he did quite a bit of damage to my bumper and it was written off. Got a new car now :) I didn't have a clue about anything, so my lovely husband sorted it all out for me :yippe:
  • Options
    A woman drove into me last December, when I was on my motorbike. The insurance claim is still ongoing, the lady has been to court for driving without due care and attention, and had her licence revoked.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have... it's all good apart from those mongrel insurance companies... they're a PITA to deal with! :)
  • Options
    I've been a passenger in 2 RTC's in as many years. I'm still in the middle of both personal injury claims. The police were involved in the first one; the road had to be cleared and they needed to validate the 'liability' of the other driver.
  • Options
    Haha, so funny you're thinking of doing this, cause I've been having the worst luck with an ongoing insurance claim...

I was hit from behind at a roundabout. I was sitting waiting to go, changed my mind because of traffic, lorry behind me didn't realise I had stopped. Bang. Whiplash and battered bumper. Nearly two years later the claim hasn't been settled.

I took two videos of the incident with the other driver's number plate clearly visible, was given his work's business card, contacted my insurance company straight away, got the car collected, went to hospital for the whiplash, yada yada yada. About 3 months later I got a letter from my solicitors saying that the third party was disputing liability, claiming to not even have been at the scene....

And here we are today, waiting to go to court to settle it.

I wasn't sure if I had to contact the police, although from reading the highway code I think I should've. Because he was working for a firm he was covered by their insurance, so I think that complicates the situation.

So yeah, if you need anymore info, get in touch and I'd be happy to help :)
  • Options
    A woman drove into my car while it was parked at wrote it off, does that count? I wasn't in the car at the time but she left her number and I claimed on her insurance. My insurance premiums have since gone up even though I didn't claim on my insurance and I have since moved house (so it has nothing to do with the area it happened in). How the fuck does that work? I had 600 quid for my troubles which isn't enough to replace an N reg Fiesta with power steering. It was a nightmare getting anything done through the insurance company, I had to argue tooth and nail to get a courtesy car because I was starting a new job that week. The Mazda which she hit my car with suffered a cracked numberplate

I personally think when someone else admits responsibility and you use their insurance to claim then they should make the process much easier and do what they can so you're not put out at all. After all, its not your fault some dick was stupid enough to leave their handbrake off at a petrol station. :rolleyes: I think my premiums going up was completely unfair as I did NOTHING WRONG. Man she screwed me over royally
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Wahey, mine does that too!!!

*Sigh, i hate my car, it's like a brother to me, an annoying, embarrassing brother that you only have one emotion towards, one of hatred, and the only display of affection ever shown to it is a savage punch straight to the steering wheel in frustration brought about from traffic, the leaky roof or a number of other things - Although each time i give it a furious jab in frustration now, I'm half anticipating it getting it's revenge by spitting it's airbag out and breaking my nose.

You and Katralla don't drive Clio's do you?