Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Beef jerky and Biltong

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I love this stuff, it's the best snack ever. It's shit-hard to get hold of though. I used to get the beef jerky from a shop that's now closed and I've never seen biltong for sale in the UK. Do the big supermarkets stock either and is it good quality? I'm so desperate I've even been checking ebay to get hold of some American jerky, but I don't fancy waiting 3 weeks for the shipping!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've seen Biltong in a petrol station and a butchers. I think Tesco has it also.
    I don't know about the quality as I don't really like biltong, but I can find it in most ethnic shops in and around London. Doesn't really help you but you can def get it in the UK, especially in the bigger towns and cities where there are lots of South Africans.
    ive seen it in a petrol station also.
    Tesco sells good quality jerky, they usually keep it with the beer for some reason.
    There's a company in Wales that does pretty good jerky and biltong. They were on Dragon's Den too - http://www.martinsjerkedmeat.com/. They even do vegetarian jerky I think!
    Addict wrote: »
    I love this stuff, it's the best snack ever. It's shit-hard to get hold of though. I used to get the beef jerky from a shop that's now closed and I've never seen biltong for sale in the UK. Do the big supermarkets stock either and is it good quality? I'm so desperate I've even been checking ebay to get hold of some American jerky, but I don't fancy waiting 3 weeks for the shipping!

You get Biltong on ebay as well and there's South African shops in London that sell it.
    DG wrote: »
    You get Biltong on ebay as well and there's South African shops in London that sell it.

I know the point of biltong is to prelong the life of meat, but something in me says that buying it off Ebay is just a bit nasty.
    Biltong aint ust about prelonging meat - it's about the taste and texture as well.

And the way around the ebay issue is to read the comments of the people that already bought it - some of them have nothing but praise.
    In my opinion, biltong is far superior to jerky. I have bought it off e-bay with very satisfactory results, also from online UK-based South African shops and from various regular retail outlets too. Biltong is also relatively easy to make, which I have done before. Yummy! :)
    Dude, I have a South African mate who owns a South African shop in my town and a South African Butchers in Brighton. He makes his own Biltong, I used to cut it up and dry it out for him sometimes, it tastes fucking awesome. He does his own flavours - chilli sticks/bites, sunday roast, garlic e.t.c....
    Anyway, his shop is called SA UK. He has a website, can't remember what it is though, search on google. I haven't seen him in a while, so I'm pretty sure he'll be doing mail order by now (he was near to it a few years ago).
    Good luck!
    cant stand the stuff myself.. but my local pubs near where i live all have biltong and jerky behind the bar.
    maybe its just an isle of man thing :chin:

i cant recall ever seeing the stuff in supermarkets.. but then, ive never been actively looking for it!!

*is of no help whatsoever* :rolleyes:
    Ooooh yay, someone else from the isle of man :hyper:

I thought i was the only one hehe
    I hope this is similiar =P

well I don't know to much about Biltong, but if it's similiar to beef jerky then I know a spot here in colorado that makes their own beef jerky that is really good. They have spicy jerky also that im not used to. they sell it on their website at www.climaxjerky.com especially if you cant visit colorado to eat some there.:crazyeyes
    Make your own man - get some cheap cut, rub salt into it - hang it to dry. Happy days....
    Sorry, I didn't realise we'd gone back in time :p
    Xx