Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Back to uni to finish my degree?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

I went to Portsmouth Uni from 2001-2004, and I was studying for a Bsc (Hons) Computing. I did well in the first two years and averaged a 2:1. In the third year however, I failed, I just completely lost interest and gave up. So, I walked away with nothing... not even a Dip HE - the uni told me I wasn't entitled to anything.

Having spent a few years working I'm getting the itch to go back and finish my degree. I have 240 credits from the first two years. Can these be used to put towards a degree if I went back?

Does anyone know what my options are?
Can I go straight back into the third year?
Will any university accept my credits .. (I have BBC at A-Level)
Ideally, I'd prefer to go back FT and study at a Uni than a distance course .. but I'm open to suggestions.

I'd have to work out the monetary side of things but I work for Sainsbury's atm, so a transfer to another store would be easy enough to sort out. I don't have any commercial debt (just student loan) and have a tiny bit of cash in savings.

Thanks for any help,
Steve.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    2 things
    What was it that made you lose interest the first time? and, are you sure it won't happen again? - they may ask you this.
    i'm not sure about the whole going back to just do the third year thing, but i reckon it would be alright. these places are open to anything these days. when someone i know wanted to do a art degree, his work was considered so good that he was offered a place straight onto the 2nd year. so...could happen.
  • Options
    I know that where I live whether you can start where you left off depends on if you're with the same uni or not. I'm picking up my degree after two years off and I keep all my finished courses so I'm jumping straight into my third year.
    I however might lose some courses if I changed unis so I didn't bother asking how much the other one I considered would accept from my old one. You'd have to ask the uni you are wanting to finish the degree in what you can expect.

Good luck! :)
  • Options
    A lot of unis are trying to fill as many spaces as possible so I reckon there is a good chance if you can prove your attitude has changed. I know taking 6 months out and working in full time really changed my attitude from one of entitlement to one of get out what you put in. Getting lots of high grades in formal education spoils people, I reckon. (until they grow up :D)
  • Options
    Do they really ask stuff like reasons for why you quit and are returning over there?

Mine didn't give a hoot and I certainly didn't need to prove anything, they just told me that I could start in September already. :lol:

But yeah, I agree that some of the best uni students I know of are people that took a break and are returning. Both my brothers did that and earned themselves scholarships almost every semester. Same with the people I studied with at my uni that were often giving up their jobs for this. It does change people's perception of uni and how they're really spending their time.
  • Options
    I would try to go back. I'm sure you could find somewhere that would take you straight back into the third year unless lots has changed since you did the first two years.