Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sugar Detox

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I've been having sugar cravings over the last month, which have definitely made me put on weight. It doesn't necessarily have to be unhealthy stuff, can be sugar free squash or fruits etc. I have always had a sweet tooth, but this is getting ridiculous.
My mom suggested that I cut out EVERYTHING sweet for two weeks (including fruits and sugarfree drinks) to cleanse my body from its dependency, and to break the 'cravings'. She does have a point, as I do believe myself that two weeks is enough to create a habit (in this case, to stop wanting sweet stuff all the time), but I was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    it needs to be longer than 2 weeks really and i would also think about cutting out wheat and yeast as having sugar cravings can be a symptom of candida overgrowth in the gut.

you have to be prepared to have spots, get really ratty, tired, irritable etc. I've done it myself several times, and its not nice, but sometimes really needed. Tbh, i didn't loose much weight when i did it, but i was quite ill when the last time i did it and had to try and take it out on an elimination diet. but it can often sort the cravings out.

But see if you have any other candida symptoms
  • Options
    Never heard of Candida before - just read up on it quickly and was quite surprised that some of the stuff mentioned actually fits really well with my condition at the moment. Going to read more, start eliminating foods and see the doctor when I am back in England and ask for further advice!