Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Spaghetti Squash

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone used this before? I'm trying it tonight! I'm a bit scared, it looks mad!

Comments

• Options
    My parents used to grow these in the garden! They taste good. I think they used to scrape out the stringy stuff in the middle and cook it in a cheese sauce. Well, cook the cheese sauce and then add the stringy stuff. I've not seen these for yeeeeears until the other day when they had them in morrisons but I forgot to buy one :(
  • Options
    Waitrose sell them (after a rather exhaustive search by Go_away and myself)...
  • Options
    My parents used to grow these in the garden! They taste good. I think they used to scrape out the stringy stuff in the middle and cook it in a cheese sauce. Well, cook the cheese sauce and then add the stringy stuff. I've not seen these for yeeeeears until the other day when they had them in morrisons but I forgot to buy one :(

That was exactly my plan! :yum: with mushrooms too! I'm excited about the squash magically turning into spaghetti

g_angel I have mine already and got it from tesco :p
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    That was exactly my plan! :yum: with mushrooms too! I'm excited about the squash magically turning into spaghetti

g_angel I have mine already and got it from tesco :p

Tesco?!? They don't sell it in any round here :( Was a right pain in the arse to find! Go_away was going to head to somewhere in the middle of nowhere to some special squash shop until I found them...!
  • Options
    g_angel wrote: »
    Tesco?!? They don't sell it in any round here :( Was a right pain in the arse to find! Go_away was going to head to somewhere in the middle of nowhere to some special squash shop until I found them...!

Haha! It was about a month ago but I've seem them there since. I hope its still ok, although I keep my butternut squashes for months and months!

A special squash shop does sound good though :yum:
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Haha! It was about a month ago but I've seem them there since. I hope its still ok, although I keep my butternut squashes for months and months!

A special squash shop does sound good though :yum:

I will have to check the huge Tesco(s) more thoroughly now - see if they have them stocked here now. I'm in London, for chrissakes - I should be able to get them!
  • Options
    er, what? sounds... weird!
  • Options
    I will have to check the huge Tesco(s) more thoroughly now - see if they have them stocked here now. I'm in London, for chrissakes - I should be able to get them!

Ours isn't an extra or anything - its quite small! Maybe they just had them in randomly, I've been in sometimes and not seen them. They were next to the squashes and courgettes if that helps :)
  • Options
    It does sound nice if a little bizarre...I had all sorts of things running through my head when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought you meant some kind of spaghetti-flavoured squash (as in what you drink) :sour: or a pasta bake kind of thing made of smooshed-down spaghetti! :blush:
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    It does sound nice if a little bizarre...I had all sorts of things running through my head when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought you meant some kind of spaghetti-flavoured squash (as in what you drink) :sour: or a pasta bake kind of thing made of smooshed-down spaghetti! :blush:

LOL!!! Both of those sound gross
  • Options
    Waitrose sell them (after a rather exhaustive search by Go_away and myself)...
    Are they some kind of protein rich uber food? That's kind of exciting, I shall have to badger the produce manager at work to get some more in :yum:
  • Options
    I loooove spaghetti squash, and had a hell of a time finding them :lol: eventually found them in Waitrose in Sloane-land after a painful search :D
    Are they some kind of protein rich uber food? That's kind of exciting, I shall have to badger the produce manager at work to get some more in

Nah, it's just a type of squash that when cooked goes stringy like spaghetti. I have mine with bolognese sauce, it's a nice alternative if you want something a little less carby than pasta (and it's a portion of veg, so you get more out of it nutrients wise)
  • Options
    I've had them before, I was just wondering if they were something special since you AND G angel went to great lengths to find them!
  • Options
    Nah, we just have the same recipe book and wanted to try out the one that I mentioned!
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    Nah, we just have the same recipe book and wanted to try out the one that I mentioned!

:yes:
  • Options
    Kangoo, the wikipedia entry has some photos of what it looks like when it's prepared:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghetti_squash
  • Options
    Mine didn't work :( it went a bit mushy. I think either it was cooked for too long or it was too old. Still tasted nice though but it was a puree! I will have another go if I see them around