Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Turn On. Tune In. Play God. CERN's LHC

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    If it does destroy the Earth, then there will be nobody left to worry about it.
    Yeah but how will it affect house prices???
    anybody here read dan brown's angels and demons????
    cern features pretty heavily in that book all in all damn good read imo.
    My biggest concern is think of the power that antimatter contains am i only the one who is just waiting for the u.s military to buy a fuck load of the stuff and send some oil rich asian country into oblivian. scientific research isnt always good. nuclear weaponry, cruise missiles, fighter jets, machine guns, napalm just about anything at all to do with the miltiary. however my dad said to me the other day when i asked his opinion on the invention of the gun he said "man always has and always will kill man by whatever means possible" i agree with this entirely although i am yet to find a sword,club,bow and arrow,ect that can kill 80,000 japs in a single moment and millions more from radiation for years to come.
    Anti matter on the most past is safe,

i mean have you seen star trek recently?
    I've been reading quite a few articles about this. Will be really interested to see what comes of it .. even if we do die ( what a load of bollocks)
    I wonder how many of the people who oppose the experiment over fears that it might end the world are in favour of keeping nuclear weapons in our arsenals... :rolleyes:
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I wonder how many of the people who oppose the experiment over fears that it might end the world are in favour of keeping nuclear weapons in our arsenals... :rolleyes:

From the ones I've seen - I suspect very few.
    Don't worry everyone. There's now a constantly up to date website monitoring the situation.

http://www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com/
    lol :D
    Don't worry everyone. There's now a constantly up to date website monitoring the situation.

What happens if it comes up with a 404 error page not found?

Does that mean the world becomes a gargantuan sized schrodinger's cat?
    MrG wrote: »
    What happens if it comes up with a 404 error page not found?

Does that mean the world becomes a gargantuan sized schrodinger's cat?

:lol:
    anybody here read dan brown's angels and demons????
    cern features pretty heavily in that book all in all damn good read imo.
    My biggest concern is think of the power that antimatter contains am i only the one who is just waiting for the u.s military to buy a fuck load of the stuff and send some oil rich asian country into oblivian.

it's insanely expensive stuff to make, a a few quadrillion $ per gram or something i remembe reading. the US defence budget is big but not that big!
    We haven't been sucked into a blackhole then

I'm definitely still here... although with the hangover I have at the moment, I am thinking a black hole would have been nicer.
    So wait, when are they actually going to collide the protons or whatever it is. As today they just sent a beam around the tunnel.

**Checks website**

No. Phew.
    **Checks website**

No. Phew.

It's not that good news. I've got a boring meeting later - the end of world would have got me out of it.
    What I don't get is how come the governments in Europe agreed to spend all the money building this thing but can't get their act together to launch their own SatNav system on a decent schedule?

At least that would have direct benefits for all... better car, sea navigation .. search & rescue applications, new systems to help the blind, ability to have airplanes take shorter, more eco friendly routes in the sky

I simply don't understand what benefit in everyday life this project will have?? Anyone want to clue me in?
    some of the comments posted on the daily fail are brilliant
    All the fear this has caused, and they are not sure of the out come , what gives these people the right in the name of science to play with everybodies lifes. This has caused panic at my sons school some of the kids myson included are really fightened, as they have been told its the end of the world tomorrow.

- tracy sivyer, exmouth u.k, 9/9/2008 11:56
    I respect Mr Hawking, but on this occasion, this is a step too far... are we going to continue believing in God or are the world's scientists going to try and prove there's no such thing? Already more and more people are turning away from faith to believe in the small minds of humans.
    I watched the man who designed this theory on TV yesterday, he's a lovely gentleman and I hope he doesn't live to regret his research. The problem with good ideas and theories in todays age is those with power and lesser minds will grasp the concepts and abuse these ideas by putting them towards defence and profiteering.

Richard, Bristol, 9/9/2008 13:18

:D
    withdraw from the LHC or else every not only parents, but child will suffer.We will not tolerate DICTATORIAL powers. The £24million stolen funds from Tax payers to POLLUTE & KILL the world is best LOST rather than die as Politicians labeled CRIMINALS & TERRORISTS.
    I urge readers to talk and communicate with all those around you. DonÂ?t underestimate (or overestimate) the importance of others. DonÂ?t rely on anyone else to take actionÂ?we are talking about your & my life, the lives of our children, all animals, plants, and bacteria. In this dilemma, we are all in this together, but we must act as separate individuals. We are currently in a race against time a matter of few hours. Enough people can start making their voices heard to reverse this action of those with BIG EGOS who think they have all the answers.

- Stella H Howell, wokingham, 9/9/2008 13:36
    If you want the truth about the universe then read the Bible. If you're worried about the experiment in Switzerland causing the end of the world, then read how God says the world actually will end in the book of Revelation (the last book of the Bible) which deals with future events like that.

- Jack Smith, Edinburgh, Scotland, 9/9/2008 21:13
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

This page is much better, it actually works:
    http://www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com/

(If you right-click and pick "view page source", you'll see there's a javascript script that will change the text to "Yup" if it happens)
    minimi38 wrote: »
    some of the comments posted on the daily fail are brilliant

:D

lol
    DG wrote: »

I simply don't understand what benefit in everyday life this project will have?? Anyone want to clue me in?

Before they finished building the thing it changed the world.
    It is responsible for the internet with a whole third of all internet traffic going through it today.

It will likely .....

Produce new materials ...to replace metals timber plastics everything you can name.

It may produce new fuels ...even anti gravity.
    New fuels would render the middle east forgotten ...at last.

Anti gravity probablly makes the greatest and oldest invention ever ...the wheel ...obsolete.
    This machine has already changed the way the world works ...it might be about to take us into the future.
    A very promising one.