Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Voices in head etc

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A friend of mine is suffering from voices in her head and vivid pictures when she tries to sleep. It's been a bit of a mad week and she hasn't really slept much, and taken quite a bit of MDMA, ket, GBL, etc. A lot of diazepam afterwards too.

I normally get this on the night, maybe sometimes the day after. But she's a bit worried cos it's now a couple of days since we finished. Really clear sounds and visions, CEVs.

She once had a bit of a scare when she was on beta blockers and SSRIs, taking MDMA. Obviously a silly thing to do. But she isn't on any medication at the moment (for a year or so).

Do you reckon this will wear off once she's caught up on sleep and got her brain chemistry back to normal? How long would it have to last before thinking about seeing a doctor?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmm, probably best if she sees a Dr asap really mate. Better to be safe than sorry and all that jazz..

I know it's probably unrelated to the subject, but what do the voices say and what are the vivid pictures she's seeing?

You're probably aware that drugs can, on rare occasions, bring on schizophrenia (which I'm guessing is why she's worried) but even so if it was me I'd get it checked out if anything just to rule schizophrenia out.

Have to say though man, I've been quite the ket + MDMA fiend and have never heard voices or seen vivid pictures in my time. I'd definitely shit myself if it happened though and would probably have a chat with my GP.
    why doesn't she just stay clear of drugs? problem solved.
    Nutter wrote: »
    Thanks for the helpful advice mate.
    How regular does your friend use MDMA?

fuck away off
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't know about the pictures, but I regularly hear things before I fall asleep, especially if I'm tired, and I've not done any drugs. I think it's just the beginning of dreaming, my mind goes into it before I lose consciousness because I'm tired.
    But yeah, what do the "voices" say? In my case it's just nonsense like "What's that in the jar? A car?" or "Yeah, their tails are like onions."
    I don't know about the pictures, but I regularly hear things before I fall asleep, especially if I'm tired, and I've not done any drugs. I think it's just the beginning of dreaming, my mind goes into it before I lose consciousness because I'm tired.
    You're right - check out hypnagogia, it's the state between wakefulness and sleep.

After posting and eventually going to bed later last night, I was suffering from terrible brain zaps (like an electric shock in your brain, running right down your body) every 30 seconds. I also had sleep paralysis, and every time I nodded off I would dream with my eyes open. This is probably just due to depleted serotonin and sleep deprivation.

Anyway back to my friend...
    How regular does your friend use MDMA?
    She takes MDMA every two weeks or so, sometimes more, sometimes less.

I'm pretty sure it was just excessive MDMA and lack of sleep. She's been working today and freaking out, to be honest I think she's just exhausted and the paranoia is getting to her. I just hope it's better after a long sleep and everything settles down.
    As already mentioned excessive and regular use of MDMA can bring on bouts of schizophrenia, so unless she is willing to cut down it is inevitable that she will experience these disillusions.
    As already mentioned excessive and regular use of MDMA can bring on bouts of schizophrenia, so unless she is willing to cut down it is inevitable that she will experience these disillusions.
    How can you possibly know it is inevitable? The fact there can be a cause-and-effect relationship in no way means there will be one.
    yea sounds like you're talkin shite no harm
    After posting and eventually going to bed later last night, I was suffering from terrible brain zaps (like an electric shock in your brain, running right down your body) every 30 seconds. I also had sleep paralysis, and every time I nodded off I would dream with my eyes open. This is probably just due to depleted serotonin and sleep deprivation.

lol all part of the cycle eh .. it majorly fucks with my sleeping/dreaming etc
    Thanks for that lovely post 'z'.

anyway, it may be a good idea to let someone know soon (GP), especially if it gets any worse. Hope it she feels better soon, can't be pleasant. :)
    Nutter's post was in essence correct - if your friend is hearing voices (known as auditory hallucinations) then it is important she cuts out mind altering substances and sees her GP. The 'problem solved' bit was probably unneccessary as it could be read as dismissive or implying that all drug use leads inevitably to psychosis.

Returning to the original post; it is important that she sees someone, especially if the symptoms are getting worse or if new ones appear - these can include mood swings, making inappropriate statements or comments, inappropriate or out of character behaviour and garbled sentences (word salad). The important thing is not to worry her, but stress that she should at least cut out the drugs in the short term and see her GP. It would be good to make sure she has people around her who she trusts, who know what's going on and will be able to support her and help her avoid using for a while.

If you or your friend are concerned I would highly recommend one or both of you contact MIND - www.mind.org.uk
    yeah that's what i meant, because i've seen how drugs affect people and it makes me wonder why they put themselves through it, just for a buzz which could be achieved in other ways. i did not mean to come across as dismissive at all.
    its a shame, i hope she hasnt fucked her head up permanently.

It isnt inevitable, but it is all too common
    I would like to point out that psychosis is not a life sentence - people do recover, they do get better and they can both live with it and lead happy lives.
    How can you possibly know it is inevitable? The fact there can be a cause-and-effect relationship in no way means there will be one.

Ok studies have not confirmed this but there are many health hazards associated with MDMA. Below i a list of possibitys of what damage the drug can cause. Theres so many complications with using this drug that you could end up with many health issues

Taken from drugs.com

MDMA users may encounter problems similar to those experienced by amphetamine and cocaine users, including addiction.

MDMA damages brain serotonin neurons. Serotonin is thought to play a role in regulating mood, memory, sleep, and appetite. Recent research indicates heavy MDMA use causes persistent memory problems in humans.

Psychological effects can include confusion, depression, sleep problems, anxiety, and paranoia during, and sometimes weeks after, taking the drug.

Physical effects can include muscle tension, involuntary teeth-clenching, nausea, blurred vision, faintness, and chills or sweating. Increases in heart rate and blood pressure are a special risk for people with circulatory or heart disease.

Also, there is evidence that people who develop a rash that looks like acne after using MDMA may be risking severe side effects, including liver damage, if they continue to use the drug.

MDMA-related fatalities at raves have been reported. The stimulant effects of the drug, which enable the user to dance for extended periods, combined with the hot, crowded conditions usually found at raves can lead to dehydration, hyperthermia, and heart or kidney failure.
    Returning to the original post; it is important that she sees someone, especially if the symptoms are getting worse or if new ones appear - these can include mood swings, making inappropriate statements or comments, inappropriate or out of character behaviour and garbled sentences (word salad). The important thing is not to worry her, but stress that she should at least cut out the drugs in the short term and see her GP. It would be good to make sure she has people around her who she trusts, who know what's going on and will be able to support her and help her avoid using for a while.

If you or your friend are concerned I would highly recommend one or both of you contact MIND - www.mind.org.uk
    Thanks for the info. I'm doing my best to keep an eye on her, and she definitely will be taking it easy.
    yeah that's what i meant, because i've seen how drugs affect people and it makes me wonder why they put themselves through it, just for a buzz which could be achieved in other ways. i did not mean to come across as dismissive at all.
    I haven't seen effects this bad very often, and it's not as simple as "just don't do it" for a lot of people. Moderation is the key of course - this was just stupid excess.
    its a shame, i hope she hasnt fucked her head up permanently.
    So do I :(
    Ok studies have not confirmed this but there are many health hazards associated with MDMA. Below i a list of possibitys of what damage the drug can cause. Theres so many complications with using this drug that you could end up with many health issues...
    I appreciate what you're trying to say, but there isn't really much point in just trying to convince me it's not worth taking MDMA. That isn't why I made this thread.
    I appreciate what you're trying to say, but there isn't really much point in just trying to convince me it's not worth taking MDMA. That isn't why I made this thread.

I'm not pointing out that it is not worth taking MDMA, I am pointing out that there is risk involved and you can seriosuly damage your mental health. Then if you experience any of the health issues you'll know that maybe it wasn't so worth it afterall.

I dont suppose you facy backing up these wild claims with any sort of evidence do you?
    Ok studies have not confirmed this but there are many health hazards associated with MDMA. Below i a list of possibitys of what damage the drug can cause. Theres so many complications with using this drug that you could end up with many health issues

Taken from drugs.com

MDMA users may encounter problems similar to those experienced by amphetamine and cocaine users, including addiction.

MDMA damages brain serotonin neurons. Serotonin is thought to play a role in regulating mood, memory, sleep, and appetite. Recent research indicates heavy MDMA use causes persistent memory problems in humans.

Psychological effects can include confusion, depression, sleep problems, anxiety, and paranoia during, and sometimes weeks after, taking the drug.

Physical effects can include muscle tension, involuntary teeth-clenching, nausea, blurred vision, faintness, and chills or sweating. Increases in heart rate and blood pressure are a special risk for people with circulatory or heart disease.

Also, there is evidence that people who develop a rash that looks like acne after using MDMA may be risking severe side effects, including liver damage, if they continue to use the drug.

MDMA-related fatalities at raves have been reported. The stimulant effects of the drug, which enable the user to dance for extended periods, combined with the hot, crowded conditions usually found at raves can lead to dehydration, hyperthermia, and heart or kidney failure.

All of which is largely true, although the risks of MDMA use are relatively small, and as to long term neuron damage scientists are still unsure as to what this really means and whether it actually increases the risk of depression. If you are interested there is a very good medical paper in the research section of the drugs forum discussing this very issue.

And I would also point out that although an addiction to MDMA can develop it is very largely of a different style to that of either cocaine or amphetamine, and many fewer recreational users go on to have an addiction.
    In terms of the opening questions, poly drug use, especially a mix of uppers and downers is unwise and is more likely to lead to complications.

The most likely explanation is lack of sleep and complete exhaustion of the body. However if the symptoms persist I would consult your GP and ask for a specific referral - a GP will not know how to deal with a case like this, ideally you need a drug worker or a poisons expert.
    budda wrote: »
    In terms of the opening questions, poly drug use, especially a mix of uppers and downers is unwise and is more likely to lead to complications.

The most likely explanation is lack of sleep and complete exhaustion of the body. However if the symptoms persist I would consult your GP and ask for a specific referral - a GP will not know how to deal with a case like this, ideally you need a drug worker or a poisons expert.
    Cheers, well hopefully it won't come to that. If it was me I'd be worried about my medical records, as she already has benzo seeking on there and they're likely to be wary.
    Cheers, well hopefully it won't come to that. If it was me I'd be worried about my medical records, as she already has benzo seeking on there and they're likely to be wary.

NEVER allow your concern about the police, or any future medical records stop you from asking for help. Fuck whether you might have a problem in the future, if she needs help now get it!

And anyway, there are only a very small number of jobs which would ask for (and be allowed) access to your personal NHS file.
    budda wrote: »
    NEVER allow your concern about the police, or any future medical records stop you from asking for help. Fuck whether you might have a problem in the future, if she needs help now get it!

And anyway, there are only a very small number of jobs which would ask for (and be allowed) access to your personal NHS file.
    I wouldn't let it influence my seeking help, and I don't think she would either, but I can imagine it would be intimidating to go and face a doctor and tell them all that.
    be on the DLA before she knows it ;)

lol only jokin
    Could be sleep paralysis. I got that for a while after heavy MDMA use. WHen your just falling off to sleep your body freezes, you get vivid hallucinations that often make noise or talk to you. Just went away after a while for me.
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    Could be sleep paralysis. I got that for a while after heavy MDMA use. WHen your just falling off to sleep your body freezes, you get vivid hallucinations that often make noise or talk to you. Just went away after a while for me.
    Yeah it's a pain, especially when you think there's someone in the room coming towards you and you can't move! :nervous: